Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Viewing TiVo in multiple rooms

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

Virgin Media Box Removal

Old 22-04-2015, 16:02   #1
spook1304
Inactive

spook1304 is an unknown quantity at this point
Virgin Media Box Removal

Hi,

This is my first post here.
I'm looking for a bit of assistance with regards to (what I believe is) a Virgin Media Fibre Street Box.

There was previously a lane / public walkway separating my neighbour and I.
Due to a lot of problems with Youths gathering there at night and causing trouble, an application was made to the council to have the walkway closed.
The application was granted and the walkway has been closed since 2008.

Problem is that there were a few pieces of equipment on this walkway including Street lamps and a green box.
The street lamps have been removed by my neighbour (as they fell on their share of the land) where as the green box fell on mine.
Normally I wouldn't bother but the box is literally in the middle of what is now my back garden. The door is practically falling off. The image below is what's in side.
I have had BT and the Council Street Lamp Maintenance folk and they have both said it's nothing to do with them and they don't know what it is.

Can either of you identify:

1. What this thing is?
2. If its a Virgin Box, where I stand in regards to getting it removed off of my property?

Thanks,
S
spook1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-04-2015, 17:08   #2
vm_tech
cf.addict

vm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to all
Re: Virgin Media Box Removal

This is a Virgin Media amplifier. What areas a this in?
vm_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 17:23   #3
spook1304
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by vm_tech View Post
This is a Virgin Media amplifier. What areas a this in?
Finally someone knows what it is Thanks vm_Tech.
The box is located in Blantyre, Scotland (G72 postcode).
Its smack bang in the middle of my back garden so I cant even hide it in the corner or with a fence or anything.

Don't suppose you know the process to have it removed?
I've read a few threads that say it costs a lot of money to have these boxes moved but the ones they are talking about to be full Broadband boxes with lots of Phones / Internet lines rather than just this one amplifier lus it tends to be on the street outside people's property rather than in their garden.

Thanks again for your help.
S
Old 22-04-2015, 17:29   #4
vm_tech
cf.addict

vm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to all

It's hard to say, it won't be anywhere near as expensive as moving a mux/node cabinet. In theory I would imagine it would be your responsibility to cover costs as when originally installed it would have been in a decent location. But seeing as it's in your back garden and that will make any maintenance or outages very difficult to handle, so vm may want to move it. I'm sure there are some planners on here who may be able to offer better advice as to where to go with it.
vm_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 17:41   #5
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

There is a Diversionary Works team http://help.virginmedia.com/system/v...3-64EBB9FE46B7

Although that article is aimed as companies rather than private individuals, they may be able to help.
Old 22-04-2015, 21:56   #6
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

It would probably be cheaper for virgin to install the amplifier underground in your property than move it. Obviously you would need to allow access
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 11:05   #7
spook1304
Inactive

Many Thanks for the replies guys.
I'll contact the Diversionary team that BenMcr mentioned.
Don't suppose any of you know how much (even roughly) this would cost?
Like a few hundred or a few thousand?

Thanks again.
Old 26-04-2015, 06:27   #8
Martin_D
cf.geek

Services: YouFibre | Lebara Sim x 2| Plex
Martin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to behold

You will be looking at around the £10,000 thousand pound mark, because of all the planning and the man hours involved to remove the Box from your back garden and move it out onto the public walkway. Plus the impact this will have on paying customers
Martin_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 10:53   #9
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Dig a hole under it and bury it. Job done and a heck of a lot cheaper than getting it moved.
Old 26-04-2015, 16:35   #10
cjmillsnun
Inactive

cjmillsnun will become famous soon enoughcjmillsnun will become famous soon enoughcjmillsnun will become famous soon enough

Was the land yours when there was a lane there?

If not, when the lane was closed, did you sign a deed to say that the land now belongs to you?

If not, then legally the land still legally belongs to the council. Not you.

Any diversion will be at your cost.
cjmillsnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 05:19   #11
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Dee 11 View Post
You will be looking at around the £10,000 thousand pound mark, because of all the planning and the man hours involved to remove the Box from your back garden and move it out onto the public walkway. Plus the impact this will have on paying customers
That's totally ludicrous.

I've seen quotes recently of less than £10000 to install completely new fibre optic across an entire mile of a city, including digging up roads, and BT's FTTPoD costs are half of that - around £5000 per mile. The estimated cost of Openreach running completely new cables (including road digging and laying new ducts) all the way from the exchange to an FTTC cabinet is barely £15,000.

VM would probably have to dig, at most, 50 metres. And frankly, they could get away with digging two metres. Bury the cable and move the amps up to the next junction box.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 09:19   #12
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Bury the cable and move the amps up to the next junction box.
Given that the box contains an amp and nothing else, I'd guess it needs to be there due to cable length, and moving it to the next box wouldn't be possible.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 09:46   #13
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

As said previously. This amp can be in a pit underground in the garden and would cost a fraction of any other solution
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 12:33   #14
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Given that the box contains an amp and nothing else, I'd guess it needs to be there due to cable length, and moving it to the next box wouldn't be possible.
Well that'd depend on a number of specific characteristics of that section of the network. Judging by the differing cable thicknesses it's possible there's enough leeway to use lower loss cables and a slightly higher amp output, given the next available location is probably the other side of the same house.

Then again it's even possible the amp is currently further down than it needs to be and was only put there out of convenience. Only networks would know.

---------- Post added at 11:33 ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
As said previously. This amp can be in a pit underground in the garden and would cost a fraction of any other solution
Well that was my first thought, but then it'd still be on his property, *and* they'd have to dig up his garden (or leave an exposed manhole cover) in case they need to service it.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 19:34   #15
cjmillsnun
Inactive

cjmillsnun will become famous soon enoughcjmillsnun will become famous soon enoughcjmillsnun will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Well that was my first thought, but then it'd still be on his property, *and* they'd have to dig up his garden (or leave an exposed manhole cover) in case they need to service it.
That's what easement/wayleave payments are for.

If they do decide to bury it, make sure you negotiate a decent easement. Of the two options, I'd go for a manhole cover.
cjmillsnun is offline   Reply With Quote