Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Flashing Blue Light

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

This is just Bad Business

Old 15-08-2011, 20:43   #1
darksun
Inactive

darksun is an unknown quantity at this point
This is just Bad Business

Hey All,

After upgrading to 50mb my life didnt get any better. The speeds are changing a lot. Usually around 15mb but also can see 1-2mb easily. Never seen 50 anyway. It's getting bad around the 6pm when everyone is using internet.

I am a mentor at an online school and I can't do my work because of unstable connection. I think I will leave this guys... I am seriously sick of hearing the same thing on customer support...

Before cancelling my account, I just wanted to double check with you guys if you see anything wrong with these power levels...

Connection

Startup Procedure
Procedure Status Comment
Acquire Downstream Channel 298750000 Hz Locked
Connectivity State OK Operational
Boot State OK Operational
Configuration File OK
Security Enabled BPI+
Downstream Channels
Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Max Raw Bit Rate Frequency Power SNR Docsis/EuroDocsis locked
Locked QAM256 200 55616000 Kbits/sec 298750000 Hz 5.8 dBmV 43.2 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 201 55616000 Kbits/sec 306750000 Hz 5.5 dBmV 43.2 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 202 55616000 Kbits/sec 314750000 Hz 4.6 dBmV 42.2 dB Hybrid
Unlocked Unknown 0 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB Unknown
Upstream Channels
Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Max Raw Bit Rate Frequency Power
Locked ATDMA 2 20480 Kbits/sec 35800000 Hz 43.7 dBmV
Unlocked Unknown 0 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV
Primary Downstream Service Flow
Downstream(0)
SFID 1848
Max Traffic Rate 53000000 bps
Max Traffic Burst 3044 bytes
Mix Traffic Rate 0 bps
Primary Upstream Service Flow
Upstream(0)
SFID 1847
Max Traffic Rate 5140000 bps
Max Traffic Burst 8160 bytes
Mix Traffic Rate 0 bps
Max Concatenated Burst 8160 bytes
Scheduling Type Best Effort
Current System Time:Mon Aug 15 19:39:01 2011

Thank you very much for your time...

Arslan
darksun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-08-2011, 20:45   #2
Robertus
cf.addict

Robertus is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: This is just Bad Business

Technically you should have a business line if you're using the connection for work purposes...?
Robertus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 20:46   #3
theoldbill

Services: 100mb VM (R27T2) & 2x 8mb Ipstream MAX dsl (Plusnet, IDnet)

These mentoring things are normally voluntary.
Old 15-08-2011, 21:01   #4
darksun
Inactive

Robertus; I am not running a full time business and it is not that different from having a skype talk with someone but when your connection so unstable and 15mb one second and next second 0,2mb it is just madness.

theoldbill; thanks a lot..
Old 15-08-2011, 21:22   #5
jamiefrost
cf.geek

Services: V+, XL TV and Phone XXL BB
jamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpack

I would wait and see if someone can tell you if the power levels are ok, someone on here will be able to say.

But 1-2Mb is not acceptable and if it can't be corrected then I would move.

J
jamiefrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 21:24   #6
phileas
Inactive

Services: VM 50Meg HBB
phileas is an unknown quantity at this point

Do a tracert to the sites your having problems with. If you go through london then roubaix then that might be the problem. I can get 20meg speedtest outside france but to roubaix its like 2meg.
phileas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 21:49   #7
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

your power levels seem ok'ish.
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 22:09   #8
Nopanic
Inactive

Nopanic has reached the bronze age
Nopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze age

Get a tech out to replace the modem and drop the power levels to closer to 0 .. worth a go before leaving ..

The levels are fine, but it wouldnt hurt ..
Nopanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 23:05   #9
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Levels are within perfect range, can't believe a tech is being suggested when we don't even know if the op is using the hubs crappy wifi
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 06:55   #10
Nopanic
Inactive

Nopanic has reached the bronze age
Nopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Levels are within perfect range, can't believe a tech is being suggested when we don't even know if the op is using the hubs crappy wifi
Well believe it .. if a customer has called up multiple times and no issue is found .. its common sense to replace the equipment .. might as well do with with someone who knows what they are doing (apparently ) sending a tech is also a good will gesture to show the customer we are willing to investigate everything possible to save from losing them.

This doesn't go for every call . obviously ..
Nopanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 08:26   #11
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

I love those faults send a tech with no wifi diagnostic tools or training to swap a hub, promise the customer the tech will sort it out then the tech gets abuse as he leaves the customer with the same service they had in the first place,
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 10:21   #12
horseman
cf.geek

horseman has reached the bronze age
horseman has reached the bronze agehorseman has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
I love those faults send a tech with no wifi diagnostic tools or training to swap a hub, promise the customer the tech will sort it out then the tech gets abuse as he leaves the customer with the same service they had in the first place,
Ah yes well said: the last ditch, lazy, intellectually challenged, heuristically biased, empirical serially threaded mindset of an underskilled act of desperation motivated solely to demonstrate an effort was made irrespective of how technically appropriate.
Fly-by-the-seat-of-their-pants-cowboys - don't yer just love 'em!

So of the remaining 0.48 % of Field support, who else can we insult?
horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 10:25   #13
darksun
Inactive

Hi All,

Thanks for kind replies. Last night I've talked to tech support guy (based in UK), I explained my problem which is ongoing for the last 5 weeks and the first thing he said was "There is a very high utilization in your area, did you know that?" I said, once somebody briefly mentioned and even promised me that'll go away tomorow ( which I didnt believe), but paying good money and getting 5 mb with 89 ms ping is like a joke. Even worse is like internet totally gone off twice last night.

He suggested talk to customer support either waive the payment for broadband so I can get some ADSL for a few months and maybe come back to virgin later...

It's not workable or reliable which is very sad, I already recommended Virgin to couple of my friends...

Arslan
Old 16-08-2011, 10:35   #14
thedelboy
Inactive

Services: phone BB tv hd Package
thedelboy is an unknown quantity at this point

you are Lucky I get about 154kbps
thedelboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 10:36   #15
horseman
cf.geek

horseman has reached the bronze age
horseman has reached the bronze agehorseman has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksun View Post
Hi All,
…..
He suggested talk to customer support either waive the payment for broadband so I can get some ADSL for a few months and maybe come back to virgin later...
….
Arslan
…and of course he offered the all important ubiquitous Fault Ticket reference number to both facilitate your compensation claim and validate his diagnosis?
If not - "Do Not pass Go" - and prepare to enjoy another recursive iteration of over protracted dialogue with another under-skilled/under-trained offshore call centre contractor!
horseman is offline   Reply With Quote