Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Bump Starting a Diesel

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Bump Starting a Diesel

Old 01-08-2005, 10:53   #16
Millay
Inactive

Millay has reached the bronze age
Millay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to Millay Send a message via Yahoo to Millay
Re: Bump Starting a Diesel

Its old, N reg its a Van Astra 1.7DT its done a million miles, but the battery is in good nick, i live at the top of a hill. I will let you know how i get on later...
Millay is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-08-2005, 11:05   #17
Flubflow
Inactive

Flubflow has a bronzed appealFlubflow has a bronzed appeal
Flubflow has a bronzed appeal

I wouldn't drive it. You don't yet know whether the starter motor gear teeth or parts of the engagment mechanism have broken off. You don't want bits of metal flailing around your bell-housing. Could knacker your clutch up.
Flubflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 11:10   #18
marky
Inactive

Services: non wife took control
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millay
Its old, N reg its a Van Astra 1.7DT its done a million miles, but the battery is in good nick, i live at the top of a hill. I will let you know how i get on later...
one thing before you bump it give the metal part of the solenoid on the starter a few cracks with a hammer then try the key agian sometimes the motor spins but the dog doesnt fly forward and engage
if not go for it just remember the heaters and dont stall it

the starter is pretty easy to change on them but check it before you change it it could be the starter ring on the flywheel
marky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 11:20   #19
Millay
Inactive

Millay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze age

I am worried that its the stearter ring, but wont know unitl i get the starter motor, unfortunatly living on a hill rather stops you from jackng the car up...
Old 01-08-2005, 11:27   #20
Flubflow
Inactive

Quote:
I am worried that its the stearter ring, but wont know unitl i get the starter motor, unfortunatly living on a hill rather stops you from jackng the car up...
Park it sideways then

I'll get me coat.
Old 01-08-2005, 11:37   #21
Millay
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flubflow
Park it sideways then

I'll get me coat.
Thanks.... i think
Old 01-08-2005, 13:44   #22
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_and_Crazy Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked_and_Crazy

Quote:
easy to bump start then if you live on a hill.

Quote:
Park it sideways then

I'll get me coat.
Health and Safety at work act says, never park sideways on a hill
Wicked_and_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 14:04   #23
Flubflow
Inactive

Quote:
Thanks.... i think

TBH I wouldn't get under a jacked-up car even on flat ground. Proper axle stands or ramps on flat ground is what one needs.

Quote:
I seriously doubt it would be the ring gear. The starter motor gear is much more likely to break first.
Old 01-08-2005, 14:05   #24
MrBen
Inactive

MrBen is a splendid one to beholdMrBen is a splendid one to beholdMrBen is a splendid one to beholdMrBen is a splendid one to beholdMrBen is a splendid one to beholdMrBen is a splendid one to beholdMrBen is a splendid one to beholdMrBen is a splendid one to beholdMrBen is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked_and_Crazy
Quote:
Park it sideways then

I'll get me coat.
Health and Safety at work act says, never park sideways on a hill
But he's at home!?!

Taxi for one!

Ben
MrBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 15:06   #25
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_and_Crazy Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked_and_Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBen
But he's at home!?!

Taxi for one!

Ben
so just because they tell you at work not to put your hand in a fire you would still do it at home
Wicked_and_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 15:21   #26
Millay
Inactive

I have got axle stands but i dont fancy the mixture of wet days hills cars etc... just waiting for a quote from my garage..
Old 01-08-2005, 15:24   #27
marky
Inactive

Services: non wife took control
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star

pity you live so far away ide have done it for the cost of the parts
marky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 15:32   #28
Millay
Inactive

Thats a kind thought, but you would have been rewarded, anyone who does a good deed should be
Old 01-08-2005, 16:27   #29
Paulie
Inactive

Services: Virgin Phone, mobile and BB V6 and Tivo Asus RT-AC68U
Paulie is a name known to allPaulie is a name known to allPaulie is a name known to allPaulie is a name known to allPaulie is a name known to allPaulie is a name known to allPaulie is a name known to allPaulie is a name known to all

Are you sure it`s the starter motor? Years back i stripped a couple of teeth off the ring gear. Try putting it in gear and rocking it. If it is the ring gear, it will move on to a new cog instead of sitting in the gap.
Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote