Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The future for linear TV channels

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

The future for linear TV channels

Old 25-01-2015, 12:50   #61
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Has ITV Player introduced HD content to the online version ? ITV Player on Sky now offers quite a lot of the content in HD.
Rarely use itv player mate last time i used it was back in October last year, there was no hd then.
theone2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-01-2015, 18:40   #62
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I understand why you would say that, but actually I was trying to get to the bottom of why some of us on here are so against it.

I've concluded that it's just that it's easy to get stuck in your own ways of doing things.
It's not about being stuck in my ways, I can't see how the scenario you're outlining is better. I, and everybody, would need a stable unlimited broadband connection, to know that there weren't capacity issues in my area and that we'd always have speeds capable of delivering hd telly. We would have no choice to access tv but to pay the licence fee AND a broadband subscription, and that's before you take into account that literally everybody else in the country would be doing the same. You think evening is peak time for broadband now?

Not only is it a long long way off, we already have a system that works, backed up well by internet based solutions. Wanting to keep it isn't a case of being stuck in our ways! It's an acknowledgement that things are already pretty good.

If your question is what's wrong with moving to the system you've outlined then I think your question is wrong. It should be what's right with it? And I think part of the answer is that we are simply nowhere near the infrastructure, or the desire, or even the necessity, required.
Old 26-01-2015, 13:43   #63
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
It's not about being stuck in my ways, I can't see how the scenario you're outlining is better. I, and everybody, would need a stable unlimited broadband connection, to know that there weren't capacity issues in my area and that we'd always have speeds capable of delivering hd telly. We would have no choice to access tv but to pay the licence fee AND a broadband subscription, and that's before you take into account that literally everybody else in the country would be doing the same. You think evening is peak time for broadband now?

Not only is it a long long way off, we already have a system that works, backed up well by internet based solutions. Wanting to keep it isn't a case of being stuck in our ways! It's an acknowledgement that things are already pretty good.

If your question is what's wrong with moving to the system you've outlined then I think your question is wrong. It should be what's right with it? And I think part of the answer is that we are simply nowhere near the infrastructure, or the desire, or even the necessity, required.
Well, I would say that the situation I have described is better because you don't have to be a slave to the decisions of the programme schedulers - you can see the programme whenever you want to - and you don't have to put up with all those advertisements.

I appreciate that there are things that need to be sorted out first, such as giving everyone access to broadband at an appropriate speed, but I do think that this is about 10 years + away. I'm sure it will come, though.

Incidentally, don't most people pay a broadband subscription already? And if there has to be a TV licence, it is only fair that anyone with access to BBC programmes should pay it.

That's not to say that I necessarily agree with the TV licence, by the way!

---------- Post added at 12:43 ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_hitch View Post
Lol,"stuck in your own ways of doing things"? It could be that, or it could just be that I prefer the current system. I will enjoy binge watching House Of Cards next month, but I am enjoying the wait between Broadchurch episodes more. It allows me to think about the show and all it's intricacies when I am bored lumping stock out at work.

BTW, I am not against it, as long the companies allow us to watch/record the shows as we currently do. I will be happy for those who want shows "on-demand".
Yes Harry, but there's nothing to prevent you from leaving a week between viewing from a list of programmes on the schedule.

I have watched House of Cards, Breaking Bad and Orange is the New Black on Netflix, but I didn't 'binge watch' them just because the whole series was on there. I watched a programme every week.

That's me set in my ways!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 19:35   #64
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Pvr's offer the solution to "being a slave" to the schedules and having to put up with adverts. Adverts, of course, would be unavoidable on a wholly streaming based system.

And I don't know if "most" people pay a broadband susbscription already, but I know my grandmother doesn't, and I'm struggling to see why she should suddenly have to in order to continue watching tv.
Old 04-02-2015, 19:59   #65
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Slight

Colin Callender, the former president of HBO and executive producer of BBC2's Wolf Hall, says linear TV has plenty of life left in it yet:

Quote:
Callender (pictured) added that he has faith in the future of linear television despite the rise of on-demand producers such as Netflix and Amazon.

“At HBO we always talked about getting that watercooler moment, people talking about it round the watercooler," he said.

“That can only happen on linear television. That doesn’t happen in the on-demand landscape. The power of linear television is at its best is when it generates that communal sense of excitement about something that has been a shared experience."
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-...ormer-hbo-boss
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 13:22   #66
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Slight

Colin Callender, the former president of HBO and executive producer of BBC2's Wolf Hall, says linear TV has plenty of life left in it yet:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-...ormer-hbo-boss
Well I suppose he would say that, wouldn't he?

I expect everything will look so different in 2025.
Old 05-02-2015, 13:27   #67
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Well I suppose he would say that, wouldn't he?

You are again vastly overplaying the demise of linear TV OB and whether you like it or not and l get the impression you don't linear TV is here to stay for a extremely long period well into the future.
Old 05-02-2015, 13:50   #68
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
So how different from 2005 does today look?
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 14:04   #69
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Well, there has been a huge take up in video on demand viewing, and streaming is rapidly becoming the norm.

A more relevant date to compare with is 15 years ago in 2,000 when all viewing was via broadcast TV and videotape. However, things are speeding up considerably now in the digital age, and I maintain that things will look very different in another ten years time.

Incidentally, I have nothing against linear TV at all as long as I have the choice to view things as I do now. I am simply pointing out that the days of linear TV are numbered in my view.
Old 05-02-2015, 14:47   #70
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Well, there has been a huge take up in video on demand viewing, and streaming is rapidly becoming the norm.

A more relevant date to compare with is 15 years ago in 2,000 when all viewing was via broadcast TV and videotape. However, things are speeding up considerably now in the digital age, and I maintain that things will look very different in another ten years time.

Incidentally, I have nothing against linear TV at all as long as I have the choice to view things as I do now. I am simply pointing out that the days of linear TV are numbered in my view.
Is streaming rapidly becoming the norm? It is being used more, but it is far from becoming the norm. Again, you must take into account the many millions of families who either can't afford such luxuries or don't care about streaming services.
harry_hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 14:53   #71
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Sorry, but they are both very much minority activities. Go and have a look at Figure 1.38 in
http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/bin...014_UK_CMR.pdf
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 17:12   #72
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
The difference is that Cord Cutting was not possible then, but it is now (irrespective of the take up percentage). In fact cord cutting has only become a practical option in the last few years.

I still think OTA broadcast will not disappear anytime soon for the basic Freeview channels. And I see no reason for it do so, as it provides an inexpensive and efficient way for the consumer to time shift and advert skip when combined with a PVR.

It is the realms of Pay TV, which will be most affected in the future. Why get tied into a minimum 12 month contract with VM or Sky when you can cherry pick the shows you want from those only available pay channels using various internet services that have only 30 day subscriptions?

To be fair, it's not so easy for sports fans to Cord Cut; I'm just glad that I don't watch sports!
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 17:42   #73
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
On demand viewing is growing, but it is still a fraction of the actual figures..

Take Sherlock. According to the BBC, 3.3 million people requested the first episode on iPlayer. Total number of viewers: 11.38 million. So, 1/3rd..

Eastenders: averaged about 1.3 million requests during January 2014. Number of viewers: Averaged about 8m..

Sources: iPlayer http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/mediacent...ance-jan14.pdf
Total viewers: http://www.barb.co.uk/whats-new/weekly-top-30 (you will have to select the dates)
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 22:37   #74
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
On demand viewing is growing, but it is still a fraction of the actual figures..

Take Sherlock. According to the BBC, 3.3 million people requested the first episode on iPlayer. Total number of viewers: 11.38 million. So, 1/3rd..

Eastenders: averaged about 1.3 million requests during January 2014. Number of viewers: Averaged about 8m..

Sources: iPlayer http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/mediacent...ance-jan14.pdf
Total viewers: http://www.barb.co.uk/whats-new/weekly-top-30 (you will have to select the dates)

To be fair, 3.3 million is a pretty large number and 1/3rd is a decent sized fraction.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:35   #75
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

To be accurate, 3.3 million is about a quarter of the BARB total, not a third. Also, seeing as iPlayer figures are not incorporated in BARB statistics, 3.3 million is, at best, a fifth of a potential total audience of around 15 million, assuming that all of the iPlayer requests were from new viewers, and not from people who wanted to watch again, having previously seen the episode on TV. BARB does not currently monitor its panel members' use of catch up services like iPlayer so we have no way of knowing for sure.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote