Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Will you buy The Sun on Sunday?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Will you buy The Sun on Sunday?
View Poll Results: Will you buy The Sun on Sunday?
Yes 16 13.33%
No 95 79.17%
Occasionally 6 5.00%
Unsure 3 2.50%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26-02-2012, 22:14   #151
marko
cf.member

marko has disabled reputation
Re: Will you buy The Sun on Sunday?

Sorry Peter and Hugh, but I am 100 per cent certain you are wrong. In fact, 110 ten per cent as they say in football.
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-02-2012, 22:26   #152
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Sorry Peter and Hugh, but I am 100 per cent certain you are wrong. In fact, 110 ten per cent as they say in football.
If you really believe that then you really are gullible because it has been in the planning stages since he closed the old sunday rag it replaced and it was mooted as such at the time and all the media expected this to happen, so that just leaves you believing something different to everyone else.

Try reading this from the Register dated 8th July 2011.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/07...y_domain_name/

Or from The Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...day-rises.html
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 23:06   #153
marko
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_ View Post
If you really believe that then you really are gullible because it has been in the planning stages since he closed the old sunday rag it replaced and it was mooted as such at the time and all the media expected this to happen, so that just leaves you believing something different to everyone else.

Or from The Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...day-rises.html

OK Peter, I think we might be at slight cross purposes here. If you read my original post, you'll see that I referred to "the small army of honest, dedicated and law-abiding professionals who piled in yesterday to produce the new edition at a moment's notice".

Now, whatever has been reported regarding the preparations and dummy issues worked on in advance, I can absolutely, positively guarantee you that what I said there is correct. The vast majority of staff were not forewarned of the launch details until the official go-ahead was given a few days earlier. They were therefore effectively brought in "at a moment's notice". I'm afraid you'll just have to trust me on that.
Old 26-02-2012, 23:50   #154
AdamD
cf.mega poster

Services: VM 50Mb
AdamD has reached the bronze age
AdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze age

Marko, do you work for news international by any chance? Or, do you have relatives/friends who do?
AdamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 00:02   #155
marko
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamD View Post
Marko, do you work for news international by any chance?
I'm in contact with people who do.
Old 27-02-2012, 00:13   #156
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:

It's worth pointing out that although that domain is still registered to NI, it doesn't appear to point to an actual site.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 06:54   #157
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
I'm in contact with people who do.
Well let them know that they now have a massive job ahead of them to turn around the fact that News International is now the Ratner's of the media business

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 07:08   #158
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
OK Peter, I think we might be at slight cross purposes here. If you read my original post, you'll see that I referred to "the small army of honest, dedicated and law-abiding professionals who piled in yesterday to produce the new edition at a moment's notice".

Now, whatever has been reported regarding the preparations and dummy issues worked on in advance, I can absolutely, positively guarantee you that what I said there is correct. The vast majority of staff were not forewarned of the launch details until the official go-ahead was given a few days earlier. They were therefore effectively brought in "at a moment's notice". I'm afraid you'll just have to trust me on that.
No they were not as it was planned for months and they knew what date they were going to produce this rag, no need to trust anyone as I am not that gullible.

If murdoch said put your hand in the fire it will not hurt would you?

If you believe what you have posted then I really do feel sorry for you, producing a newspaper at a moments notice, next you will insist it was with the help of Harry Potter or should that be Voldemort.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 08:50   #159
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
No they were not as it was planned for months and they knew what date they were going to produce this rag, no need to trust anyone as I am not that gullible.

If murdoch said put your hand in the fire it will not hurt would you?

If you believe what you have posted then I really do feel sorry for you, producing a newspaper at a moments notice, next you will insist it was with the help of Harry Potter or should that be Voldemort.
Peter, the lowly production and admin staff at the Sun will have been no more aware of exact launch details than you were aware of the content of boardroom discussion when you worked for Virgin Media.

You are allowing your blind hatred for this particular newspaper to cloud the issue. Murdoch and his senior staff will have had the date pencilled in for months but that is not to say they communicated it.

The implication of Marko's posts is that s/he either works for NI or is associated with someone who does. Whether they wish to elaborate on that point is up to them, but even if they have no connection with the organisation, the facts are still the facts. There is no way the jobbing staff in the print works, page layout and similar departments would have been handed such commercially sensitive information any sooner than was absolutely necessary.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 09:59   #160
RizzyKing

"that News International is now the Ratner's" I never had anywhere near the dislike for ratner that i have for NI lol.
Old 27-02-2012, 11:34   #161
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RizzyKing View Post
"that News International is now the Ratner's" I never had anywhere near the dislike for ratner that i have for NI lol.

Old 27-02-2012, 11:48   #162
marko
cf.member

Thanks Chris, voice of reason. Although I'm pretty confident the launch date was actually a surprise to many senior staff as well as to the "lowly" infantry.

To be honest I didn't expect anything other than the type of blind hatred towards NI that's been exhibited on this thread. My guess is that company could end Third World Debt, cure cancer and feed the starving millions . . . yet still get pelters from all sides.

The answer looks simple to me. If you don't like it, don't buy it.
Old 27-02-2012, 11:56   #163
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Thanks Chris, voice of reason. Although I'm pretty confident the launch date was actually a surprise to many senior staff as well as to the "lowly" infantry.

To be honest I didn't expect anything other than the type of blind hatred towards NI that's been exhibited on this thread. My guess is that company could end Third World Debt, cure cancer and feed the starving millions . . . yet still get pelters from all sides.

The answer looks simple to me. If you don't like it, don't buy it.
My point exactly and when they have "ended Third World Debt, cured cancer and fed the starving millions " I will consider them as long as they did not hack anything to do it

Old 27-02-2012, 12:41   #164
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Nope ... analyst opinion seems to be that it's just a seventh-day printing for the Sun rather than a re-branded NOTW. The content of today's paper is consistent with the Sun rather than the News of the Screws - BBC's Nick Higham calls it "recognisably the Sun, rather than the News of the World: an upbeat family paper with no sleaze, no kiss'n'tells".

Also, Dominic Moghan is editing it, so it is unlikely to develop a different editorial direction from the Sun on Monday to Saturday if the same person is in charge of the whole show.
err, The Sun is still a trashy newspaper, with the same editorial policy and same addiction to hacking and if it is a "family paper" what about Page 3?

---------- Post added at 12:36 ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
How much do you think it will evolve over the next few months into something similar to the NOTW?.
It is become (if it not there already) the NOTW with a diffrent name

---------- Post added at 12:37 ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1960 View Post
A Shame really because as much as i disliked what the NOTW did on the phone hacking front they also did some very good pieces of journalism such as the Pakistan cricket spot fixing one if it had not been for the NOTW would anybody else have done that i wonder maybe or maybe not.

Whist not liking the sun we do need another investagative journal at the weekend i feel.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011...s-of-the-world
What about the other sunday newspapers then?

---------- Post added at 12:38 ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Well i am happy to confirm i have not given any money towards News international and there sleazeball of a comic. I prefer andrex
Same here

---------- Post added at 12:40 ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Quite. I don't see there's any way back. Having filled the Sunday void with another edition of the Sun, the Sun's own reputation is firmly on the line if it is perceived as heading back into NOTW territory.
The Sun's reputation is pretty bad as well, they have also been linked to phone hacking!

---------- Post added at 12:41 ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 ----------

They have been planning the The Sun on Sunday as soon as they shut the NOTW!
Alan Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 13:21   #165
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
That is extremely unlikely. Senior staff would need to plan all sorts of logistics, production, staffing, and advertising. These things can't just happen, they have to be planned.

I can understand that junior staff would be kept in the dark to prevent it from being leaked. But it has been expected ever since NOTW closed. It was just a matter of when.
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote