Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ITV threaten to blackout on Virgin

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

ITV threaten to blackout on Virgin

Old 30-07-2017, 16:48   #31
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice
Re: ITV threaten to blackout on Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
...And don't forget ITV Encore!
Well I get ITV Encore through Now TV, whilst I have to admit any ITV channel is not exactly high up on my list to find something to watch I haven't noticed anything on there that is not a repeat from ITV1 (its original premise was after 12 months to have original content air on Encore first before it went on the main channel but that has never materialised), so imho its not exactly something VM subscribers are missing out on, its just another way ITV are trying to monetise their program catalogue and not worth one penny added to a subscription.
buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-07-2017, 19:13   #32
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

No me episodes of The Chase being on 6/7 days a week,
Old 30-07-2017, 19:18   #33
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye View Post
Well I get ITV Encore through Now TV, whilst I have to admit any ITV channel is not exactly high up on my list to find something to watch I haven't noticed anything on there that is not a repeat from ITV1 (its original premise was after 12 months to have original content air on Encore first before it went on the main channel but that has never materialised), so imho its not exactly something VM subscribers are missing out on, its just another way ITV are trying to monetise their program catalogue and not worth one penny added to a subscription.
I didn't suggest we should pay extra for it!

Agreed there's mainly repeats on that channel at the moment but we were told that original dramas would start to appear. That may still be the case - but maybe ITV think it's not worthwhile during the Sky exclusivity period.

I only view the channel to watch The Americans.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 03:21   #34
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

Quote:
I didn't suggest we should pay extra for it!

Agreed there's mainly repeats on that channel at the moment but we were told that original dramas would start to appear. That may still be the case - but maybe ITV think it's not worthwhile during the Sky exclusivity period.

I only view the channel to watch The Americans.
I actually thought that was the whole point of the 'exclusivity period'.
johnathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:27   #35
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathome View Post
I actually thought that was the whole point of the 'exclusivity period'.
I believe that ITV Encore's audience share is very low, which I guess they think would make the production of new dramas uneconomic.

However, in my view, if they were to add some decent original material to that channel, and advertise it on the main ITV and Sky channels, it would gain a much bigger audience on Sky. Even if its audience share remained on the low side, the cost of the original dramas shown on there would be recouped from repeating them on ITV at a later date, with a note that it was originally shown on ITV Encore. The channel would then seem to be more interesting.

As it is, they've turned this channel into one that's regarded as irrelevant because it screens stuff that has already been shown on ITV3, itself an ITV repeats channel.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 18:11   #36
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Any updates on this?
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 18:46   #37
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
I believe that ITV Encore's audience share is very low, which I guess they think would make the production of new dramas uneconomic.

However, in my view, if they were to add some decent original material to that channel, and advertise it on the main ITV and Sky channels, it would gain a much bigger audience on Sky. Even if its audience share remained on the low side, the cost of the original dramas shown on there would be recouped from repeating them on ITV at a later date, with a note that it was originally shown on ITV Encore. The channel would then seem to be more interesting.

As it is, they've turned this channel into one that's regarded as irrelevant because it screens stuff that has already been shown on ITV3, itself an ITV repeats channel.
You do know what "encore" means, don't you?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 19:04   #38
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin-D View Post
Any updates on this?
None thus so far.
Old 16-08-2017, 19:52   #39
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Probably a lot on here will disagree with me but in my opinion ITV have aired some great shows over the years , they have a pretty good back catalogue of shows.

Like most broadcasters these days they have far to many channels with the good stuff spread to thinly.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 19:57   #40
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Probably a lot on here will disagree with me but in my opinion ITV have aired some great shows over the years , they have a pretty good back catalogue of shows..

Like most broadcasters these days they have far to many channels with the good stuff spread to thinly.
Well MM it might surprise you but you are quite correct as they have a great back catalogue of shows that is for sure.

---------- Post added at 18:57 ---------- Previous post was at 18:55 ----------

Quote:
Probably a lot on here will disagree with me but in my opinion ITV have aired some great shows over the years , they have a pretty good back catalogue of shows.

Well if they showed all the stuff that is not politically correct then that would increase the content quite considerably on some of their lesser channels.
Old 16-08-2017, 23:01   #41
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

Agreed, but very much doubt that linear TV is the way for people to enjoy them. Far better to put them on video on demand platforms. Linear channels replaying old content, with the exception of +1 channels, can't have too much life left in them and, frankly, no reason to have them.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 23:30   #42
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Probably a lot on here will disagree with me but in my opinion ITV have aired some great shows over the years , they have a pretty good back catalogue of shows. .
Yes like 'On the Buses' and 'Celebrity Squares' nobody else could make this quality entertainment
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 00:40   #43
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Yes like 'On the Buses' and 'Celebrity Squares' nobody else could make this quality entertainment
I didn't actually say everything they touched was a hit.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 06:32   #44
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
l have a part just perfect for you in the new remake Mr K.
Old 17-08-2017, 07:05   #45
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l have a part just perfect for you in the new remake Mr K.
Ooh you are naughty Den, get them buses out !

I've got a part in mind for you too...

Last edited by Mr K; 17-08-2017 at 07:08.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote