Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Linear is old tech - on demand is the future
Closed Thread

Old 23-08-2017, 01:19   #91
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Well worth a read.
Quote:
The demise of television has been wrongly predicted many times but streaming and on-demand viewing are changing the way we consume TV. We could be reaching a tipping point.
https://www.standard.co.uk/business/...-a3617241.html
Advertisement
Old 23-08-2017, 11:26   #92
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Good fond, Andrew. This article explains it very well.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:08   #93
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Interesting article here about the viewing traits of US millenials, with under 35s now watching 55% of their TV through their own recordings/on demand/OTT. Tolerence to advertisements is declining.

They haven't caught up with me yet - 100% own recordings/on demand/OTT and no ads, but I guess even the youngsters have difficulty keeping up!

This tends to confirm my prediction that these new viewing choices will be the norm across the age ranges in the not too distant future, with all the implications this has for traditional broadcast channels.

http://advanced-television.com/2017/...-than-live-tv/
Old 14-09-2017, 16:55   #94
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice

I think I owe OLD BOY an apology, I thought there was no way the likes of Amazon would spend the fortunes necessary to secure the pan regional rights for major sports events but I've just realised (somewhat belatedly) they will be showing live Thursday night NFL games this season.

Whilst this is most likely the cheapest package of NFL games available it shows they might be serious players in the sports rights business.
Although I do believe pan regional rights for even the cheapest Premier League package would cost a lot more than these NFL rights Amazon has acquired.
Old 04-10-2017, 14:51   #95
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

This article should please Den and his followers - a new type of dynamic linear channel. Perhaps this may offer existing broadcasters a lifeline.

The idea is that through artificial intelligence, the system will learn what you like and prepare schedules for you to reflect your taste. So if you prefer your TV already scheduled for you, this could be the answer.

I might even make some limited use of that myself, as long as I didn't have to sit through the boring adverts, which presumably, would also be taylored to my preferences!

http://www.digitaltveurope.net/75368...ital-channels/

---------- Post added at 13:51 ---------- Previous post was at 13:48 ----------
Zone TV taps AI for self-scheduling digital channels

US and Canada-based OTT TV technology outfit Zone-TV is planning to tap the power of artificial intelligence to launch an OTT TV service with ‘linear-like’ channels that automatically schedule themselves according to the preference of the individual viewer.

Zone-TV, formerly known as ES3, has acquired rights to about 70,000 shows not previously seen on TV to populate what it is describing as 14 ‘dynamic channels’.

The group said that the channels would contain human-curated digital-first content but that the schedule of each would be modified by artificial intelligence in line with the tastes and interests of viewers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye View Post
I think I owe OLD BOY an apology, I thought there was no way the likes of Amazon would spend the fortunes necessary to secure the pan regional rights for major sports events but I've just realised (somewhat belatedly) they will be showing live Thursday night NFL games this season.

Whilst this is most likely the cheapest package of NFL games available it shows they might be serious players in the sports rights business.
Although I do believe pan regional rights for even the cheapest Premier League package would cost a lot more than these NFL rights Amazon has acquired.
No apology needed, Buckeye. It is difficult to work out how things could change in the future. Change often happens in ways you least expect!

It would not surprise me at all if Amazon made a play for the Premier League, but personally I hope it's Discovery that do this, which will even things up with Sky.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 04-10-2017 at 15:00.
Old 04-10-2017, 16:56   #96
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Sounds like a gimmick at best.
Old 04-10-2017, 17:01   #97
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
l have to concur with you MM.
Old 04-10-2017, 17:33   #98
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
So you prefer your TV schedules full of crap that you don't want to see rather than programmes that are more atuned to your taste?

How very strange. Ah well...

---------- Post added at 16:33 ---------- Previous post was at 16:33 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l have to concur with you MM.
I expected no less, Den!
Old 04-10-2017, 17:39   #99
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
So you prefer your TV schedules full of crap that you don't want to see rather than programmes that are more atuned to your taste?

How very strange. Ah well,
You seem to think that everybody thinks like you OB but many do not..

---------- Post added at 16:39 ---------- Previous post was at 16:37 ----------

Quote:
I expected no less, Den!
You might be surprised OB as l do agree with a few of your musings.
Old 04-10-2017, 18:00   #100
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:

You seem to think that everybody thinks like you OB but many do not..

---------- Post added at 16:39 ---------- Previous post was at 16:37 ----------

You might be surprised OB as l do agree with a few of your musings.
Hence my question to MM, Den.

Look, at the moment, I could put on ITV on Saturday and get a choice of The Family Chase, The X Factor, Jonathan Ross, News, American Pie.

If I set my preferences to news, dramas and chat shows, my selection might become Liar, Victoria, Jonathan Ross, News, Lethal Weapon. It's still ITV, and all the programmes are extracted from the same week, but the shows are now to my liking.

Conversely, a person who likes talent contests, reality documentaries and soaps might have the choice of The Family Chase, The X-Factor, Coronation Street, Tipping Point, Call the Cleaners, Britain's Claim Culture: Tonight and An Hour to Catch a Killer with Trevor McDonald.

Call it a gimmick if you like, but this actually makes linear viewing far more acceptable and tailored to the needs of the individual or family.

What's not to like?
Old 04-10-2017, 18:25   #101
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Hence my question to MM, Den.

Look, at the moment, I could put on ITV on Saturday and get a choice of The Family Chase, The X Factor, Jonathan Ross, News, American Pie.

If I set my preferences to news, dramas and chat shows, my selection might become Liar, Victoria, Jonathan Ross, News, Lethal Weapon. It's still ITV, and all the programmes are extracted from the same week, but the shows are now to my liking.

Conversely, a person who likes talent contests, reality documentaries and soaps might have the choice of The Family Chase, The X-Factor, Coronation Street, Tipping Point, Call the Cleaners, Britain's Claim Culture: Tonight and An Hour to Catch a Killer with Trevor McDonald.

Call it a gimmick if you like, but this actually makes linear viewing far more acceptable and tailored to the needs of the individual or family.

What's not to like?
I quite like this idea tbh.
Old 04-10-2017, 19:21   #102
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
I quite like this idea tbh.
Yes, this could save linear tv, in my view.
Old 04-10-2017, 19:22   #103
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Still peddling the old propaganda l see..
Old 04-10-2017, 20:27   #104
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Still peddling the old propaganda l see..
Actually, this offers linear tv a lifeline, much to my surprise!

Thought you'd be pleased...
Old 04-10-2017, 20:46   #105
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
It could save streaming in my view. At last people don't have to make a choice what to watch.
Closed Thread