Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Uddingston ML5 2 Upstream Channels

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Euro module master socket

Old 17-11-2019, 16:53   #1
Hexxeh
cf.member

Hexxeh is an unknown quantity at this point
Euro module master socket

I have an old style Telewest internal master socket for my Virgin connection, but I've seen on some new builds there's a neat Euro module version now. Is it possible to get this retrofitted instead of the old wallbox?

I've just installed a couple new backboxes to run Ethernet to my front room and I'd love to get rid of the ugly Virgin wallbox and have it as a Euro module like my Ethernet sockets.
Hexxeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-11-2019, 17:19   #2
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: Euro module master socket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexxeh View Post
I have an old style Telewest internal master socket for my Virgin connection, but I've seen on some new builds there's a neat Euro module version now. Is it possible to get this retrofitted instead of the old wallbox?

I've just installed a couple new backboxes to run Ethernet to my front room and I'd love to get rid of the ugly Virgin wallbox and have it as a Euro module like my Ethernet sockets.
You can DIY.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Faceplate...VQaG1WnblR2AAw

Just select SKY/Virgin option.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 18:16   #3
Hexxeh
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
You can DIY.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Faceplate...VQaG1WnblR2AAw

Just select SKY/Virgin option.
That's the plan if Virgin can't do it officially, though I assume should they ever need to come and look at their kit, they wouldn't be pleased.

I haven't seen anything on Amazon/eBay that includes the inline isolator the official Virgin ones do though.

I do have a length of the proper Virgin spec cable enough to do the job though, pre terminated...

Popped open the internal and external boxes and there's nothing fancier than an F-type coupler in the external box taking a short length of coax into the internal box, which has an isolator in providing the internal socket. The isolator is exactly the same as: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Technetix...oAAOSwcJtdhzFg

Presumably lengthening the cable between the external coupler and the internal euro module using Virgin's own cable is unlikely to cause any harm, particularly since it's only being extended by about 4ft.
Old 17-11-2019, 20:10   #4
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Presumably lengthening the cable between the external coupler and the internal euro module using Virgin's own cable is unlikely to cause any harm, particularly since it's only being extended by about 4ft.
I would not have thought so.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 21:52   #5
Hexxeh
cf.member

Managed to source a proper VM euro module with the inline isolator. There's no photos online of what it looks like, so for anyone else wondering, it comes pre-fitted with a very thin cable out of the back, and then a female f-connector after about 8" of wire. There's a long bit of sheathing you can move that covers the connection once it's screwed together.

Got the whole lot installed and it's looking much neater, and signal/power levels are virtually unchanged. Result!

Photo (excuse the render missing from half of the wall, doing all this re-cabling work in preparation for re-plastering this week):

Last edited by Hexxeh; 18-11-2019 at 22:02.
Old 20-11-2019, 01:38   #6
SirThomas
cf.addict

Services: Vodafone 80x20 Backup, MixTV & V6, Vivid 350, Hub3 & RT-AC87u
SirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexxeh View Post
Managed to source a proper VM euro module with the inline isolator
Can one ask where you procured it from? - I could use a couple myself for a tidy-up job!

Tom
SirThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 11:05   #7
Hexxeh
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirThomas View Post
Can one ask where you procured it from? - I could use a couple myself for a tidy-up job!

Tom
It seems that engineers carry them now and can use them for standard installs I guess. There's a new white surface mount wallbox for internal use that looks a bit like the old one, but it has euro module sockets in the front which they insert these into.

I asked a VM engineer I happened to pass on the next street very nicely, explained what I was doing, and kindly they let me have one.