Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Considering going for a Tivo box! Help to answer questions pls

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Considering going for a Tivo box! Help to answer questions pls

Old 15-02-2012, 13:17   #61
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Re: Considering going for a Tivo box! Help to answer questions pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
Yes, my sister has to pay an extra £8 pm on top of her Sky tv package for insurance.
So in the long run it's more expensive that VM.
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-02-2012, 13:21   #62
New to cable
Permanently Banned

New to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutter

Quote:
Yes, my sister has to pay an extra £8 pm on top of her Sky tv package for insurance.
Your sister is wasting money then as she could..

A- Buy a box fo ebay for around £40 if hers broke.Perfectly legal and Sky are happy to pair the card.

B- Pay a 1 time service charge of £60 for a service call which would inspect replace, cable,dish,box if any were found to be faulty.
New to cable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 13:23   #63
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deegan View Post
Certainly if you take the insurance out it is, yeah.

---------- Post added at 12:23 ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by New to cable View Post

A- Buy a box fo ebay for around £40 if hers broke.Perfectly legal and Sky are happy to pair the card.

B- Pay a 1 time service charge of £60 for a service call which would inspect replace, cable,dish,box if any were found to be faulty.
It's a 1TB Sky HD box.. would she really be able to get one for that price?
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 13:27   #64
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:

I was told by Sky themselves that if I didn't take out their warranty, then it could cost me a call out, plus £200 for a new box.....so I told them that I would challenge that under the Sale of Goods Act, and wouldn't have to pay anywhere near £200.
Old 15-02-2012, 13:30   #65
New to cable
Permanently Banned

New to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutter

Quote:
Certainly if you take the insurance out it is, yeah.

---------- Post added at 12:23 ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 ----------

It's a 1TB Sky HD box.. would she really be able to get one for that price?
She would for the £60 service call fee. But chances are just like your DVD player,TV.Microwave,Bluray,Computer,Games console...Your Skybox will last many many years.

Why pay £96 a year because something MIGHT happen to a Sky box that sky will replace for £60is something DOES happen. Makes no sense.
Old 15-02-2012, 13:33   #66
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
She would for the £60 service call fee. But chances are just like your DVD player,TV.Microwave,Bluray,Computer,Games console...Your Skybox will last many many years.

Why pay £96 a year because something MIGHT happen to a Sky box that sky will replace for £60is something DOES happen. Makes no sense.
Sky are ripping customers off then with that insurance. so if her 1TB Sky HD box breaksdown, she pays £60 and gets a new box?
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 13:41   #67
New to cable
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Sky are ripping customers off then with that insurance. so if her 1TB Sky HD box breaksdown, she pays £60 and gets a new box?
The insurance is not Sky, its a secondary company I believe. Another thing most people forget is your Sky box is probably covered for failure or accidental damage by your house insurance.

But the insurance gets you a brandnew box, the £60 is a refurb. It horses for course I guess.

I don't have any cover on my Sky+HD boxes and one is a drx790 probably 3 years old. Works fine just it only has a 360Gb HDD inside (which I can swapout myself for a upto 2TB) .
Old 15-02-2012, 13:43   #68
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Exactly.
Old 15-02-2012, 13:48   #69
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:
The insurance is not Sky, its a secondary company I believe. Another thing most people forget is your Sky box is probably covered for failure or accidental damage by your house insurance.
Extended warranties are almost always done through another company. But it would have been a Sky department. But I know what you mean.

Extended warranties are never worth the money. Just try mentioning SOGA to the sales rep, and they soon shut up.

Quote:
But the insurance gets you a brandnew box, the £60 is a refurb. It horses for course I guess.

I don't have any cover on my Sky+HD boxes and one is a drx790 probably 3 years old. Works fine just it only has a 360Gb HDD inside (which I can swapout myself for a upto 2TB) .
I never had cover on mine either, but mine did need replacing in the first year. The second one I never had any problems with.

I was happy with Sky, but a saving of £70 per month is a no brainer. So I changed to VM. But it was only after I changed that I found out how much better the Tivo box is. In fact I'm still finding out new things it can do now.
Old 15-02-2012, 13:57   #70
New to cable
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Ya know, its so hard to realistically work out which is cheaper over say 3 years. There are so many variables but I think it suits both companys to leave it like that.

I have 3 Sky+hd boxes and HD, Full price would Multiroomx2 HD pack x1 so just that should be £30

VM 3 recordable TiVo's would from March Tivo fee £5 x3 plus £6.50 x2 multiroom fee plus £7 premium HD. that's £35

I now have a 14Mb internet and phoneline with sky unlimited weekend and evening calls and unlimited internet that would be full price £19.75 with Sky.

10Mb with phone line and unlimited weekend and evening calls is £33 a month with VM.

But for instance my HD pack is discounted to £5, my multirooms are £7.50 each etc. I got free line rental, not many VM customers out there pay £33 for just 10Mb with a phoneline..

It is nigh on impossible to work out who is actually cheaper so it comes down to what you want from your provider.
Old 15-02-2012, 14:18   #71
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Ya know, its so hard to realistically work out which is cheaper over say 3 years. There are so many variables but I think it suits both companys to leave it like that.

I have 3 Sky+hd boxes and HD, Full price would Multiroomx2 HD pack x1 so just that should be £30

VM 3 recordable TiVo's would from March Tivo fee £5 x3 plus £6.50 x2 multiroom fee plus £7 premium HD. that's £35

I now have a 14Mb internet and phoneline with sky unlimited weekend and evening calls and unlimited internet that would be full price £19.75 with Sky.

10Mb with phone line and unlimited weekend and evening calls is £33 a month with VM.

But for instance my HD pack is discounted to £5, my multirooms are £7.50 each etc. I got free line rental, not many VM customers out there pay £33 for just 10Mb with a phoneline..

It is nigh on impossible to work out who is actually cheaper so it comes down to what you want from your provider.
Yes I agree, as it all depends on your package, and your circumstances. However with my package, like I said, I save £70 per month, and that was what decided it for me before I found out how much better the Tivo is than the Sky box.

Both Sky and VM will try to out do each other. So if you called VM, they would probably beat your Sky package just to get your custom. But in my case Sky just conceded defeat, because they couldn't come close.
Old 15-02-2012, 14:31   #72
New to cable
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Yes I agree, as it all depends on your package, and your circumstances. However with my package, like I said, I save £70 per month, and that was what decided it for me before I found out how much better the Tivo is than the Sky box.

Both Sky and VM will try to out do each other. So if you called VM, they would probably beat your Sky package just to get your custom. But in my case Sky just conceded defeat, because they couldn't come close.
£70 saving? Jesus and you have 3 phonelines 2 TV boxes and 100Mb BB, So what TV package do you have and what are you paying VM. An what the hell did you have on Sky. You must of had like 5 Multiroom boxes.

Although I see you only have 2 VM boxes so I assume you only had 2 on sky.

Ok I built a bundle of 100Mb, TV-L and phone with a second box on VM that comes to £74 only including 1 phoneline an you have 3 so you're saving £70 from what you were paying Sky.

So your Sky package was AT LEAST £144??? Jezz you must of had like 6 multiroom boxes- But then thats not a saving as you would of downgraded for VM- What was your Sky package dude?

So your Sky package was atleast
Old 15-02-2012, 14:45   #73
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:
£70 saving? Jesus and you have 3 phonelines 2 TV boxes and 100Mb BB, So what TV package do you have and what are you paying VM. An what the hell did you have on Sky. You must of had like 5 Multiroom boxes.

Although I see you only have 2 VM boxes so I assume you only had 2 on sky.

Ok I built a bundle of 100Mb, TV-L and phone with a second box on VM that comes to £74 only including 1 phoneline an you have 3 so you're saving £70 from what you were paying Sky.

So your Sky package was AT LEAST £144??? Jezz you must of had like 6 multiroom boxes- But then thats not a saving as you would of downgraded for VM- What was your Sky package dude?

So your Sky package was atleast
No it's far more complicated than that I'm afraid.
Old 15-02-2012, 14:51   #74
New to cable
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Nope, you just say what you had on Sky and how much it cost, then what you have on Virgin and how much you pay.

The services should almost identical or as close as possible and the Virginmedia one will show as £70 cheaper than the Sky one. It really is that simple. So off you go..

---------- Post added at 13:51 ---------- Previous post was at 13:49 ----------

Quote:
Nope, you just say what you had on Sky and how much it cost, then what you have on Virgin and how much you pay.

The services should almost identical or as close as possible and the Virginmedia one will show as £70 cheaper than the Sky one. It really is that simple. So off you go..

You didnt say you pay the same amount but get more EG-100Mb you said Sky is £70 more than VM, so I just wonder what you had on Sky and what you have on VM?
Old 15-02-2012, 15:02   #75
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:

---------- Post added at 13:51 ---------- Previous post was at 13:49 ----------

You didnt say you pay the same amount but get more EG-100Mb you said Sky is £70 more than VM, so I just wonder what you had on Sky and what you have on VM?
You really need to read my earlier posts. And then take into account all sorts of packages to do with phone calls, etc...

Like I said, it's far more complicated. Lets just say I played Sky and VM off against each other, and ended up saving £70 per month by moving the lot to VM. Sky didn't even attempt to come close.