Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Pay as you go sim without 30 day limit?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Telco Services Discussion

Pay as you go sim without 30 day limit?

Old 28-07-2017, 22:09   #1
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Pay as you go sim without 30 day limit?

What options are there for providers if you want a pay as you go sim that you can use over a period longer than 30 days?

My phone is dual sim and it is nice to have a second alternative network to use if my main provider (Original Three One plan...still!) has sketchy coverage in an area.

I tried 02 which had good coverage but the £10 top up expired after 30 days of it first being used and I had only had to use it a couple of times. Hence wanting something that lets you use the phone calls/data over a longer period, so it can stay as a backup without me having to keep paying every 30 days.

Not essential but preferable, is an option where I can get and pay for the sim and topups anonymously. For the 02 sim I walked in to a shop and they asked for my name and after asking if it was necessary, they said no and it could just be a first name, so I gave them someones first name and paid in cash. It's not that I want to do anything dodgy but these days I like to give out as little information as possible and have a smaller fingerprint in the various databases

So, any ideas? Had a google and just didn't get the answers I wanted.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-07-2017, 22:47   #2
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
Re: Pay as you go sim without 30 day limit?

I use a giffgaff sim (O2 network) in my back-up phone. I just topped up the sim to activate it and any balance rolls over indefinitely as long as you use the sim once every 6 months. Just don't buy any goodie bags if you want to avoid losing your credit after 30 days.

https://www.giffgaff.com/support/sim...your-first-sim
Old 29-07-2017, 22:53   #3
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

That sounds like an option I would take up unless an anonymous alternative is available

Thanks joglynne, wish I could rep you but apparently I need to spread the love around first :P
Old 30-07-2017, 11:59   #4
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

We all have dual sim phones and wouldn't be without them. I have a VM sim in one slot and 3 sim in the other. Both are PAYG and neither company takes away the unused credit after 30 days. The only thing to watch out for with dual SIM phones is that the 2nd SIM (ie non-data) is restricted to 2g operation so if you're using a 3 SIM it will have to be in the slot designated for data. The other card will then be able to make/receive calls, texts etc via the 2G network. This way if your using 3 you'll still be able to use the other SIM as long as there's a 2g signal which is what I do. I've found 3 very good in this area but the coverage varies obviously - it's 3ppm calls, 2p per text & 1p per mb data. There's no need to give any details when you buy the SIM (free with a £10 top up) and further top ups can be done simply by buying a voucher in a vast number of high street stores then entering the 16 digit code into the phone.

Last edited by Osem; 30-07-2017 at 12:03.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 13:03   #5
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

It's a shame 3 is my main sim otherwise I could go for that combo. Still on an old Three contract which lets me tether terrabytes a month if needed, so im not letting go of that to switch to their pay as you go

If I can get a VM sim in a shop and topup anonymously that is an option. VM uses EE's network, so its different at least.

Not sure what you mean about the dual sim slots Osem. Do you mean to get the other sim to automatically work when the reception is bad?
Rather than wanting 24/7 coverage for incoming emails etc, I am more interested in if I want to look something up and there is no reception, switch to the other sim that has reception, even if it's manual, which takes like 5 seconds in settings menu.

Although I have to admit it's nice having 2 telephone numbers working at once, so you can give one out to people when buying/selling stuff on ebay etc which rings different and I can discard the number for a new sim and number every so often too
Old 31-07-2017, 13:29   #6
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

You can swap which SIM slot is the data enabled slot via a menu on the phone so you can decide which SIM you use for data at any time. If one network is down then you could use the other for data (bearing in mind that network's data charges) simply without removing the SIMs. The trouble is that the 3 SIM will not work at all unless it's in the data designated slot as it can't function on 2G but it sounds as though that won't be a problem for you.

Here's a list of PAYG providers and prices:

http://kenstechtips.com/index.php/co...ou-go-networks
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 14:15   #7
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Ah I get what you were saying, I thought you was talking about physical slot switching

That link is brilliant thanks! Only lists the 'traditional' pay as you go that don't expire. Im even thinking the asda sim could be an option that I can at least check later today. Looks like you only have to make a call with the sim to activate it and can top up in store. So the only info they can get about me is the EMEI of the sim slot it's in. All good

Phones are awesome these days:
https://i.imgur.com/44eBpg1.png
https://i.imgur.com/pfcN1Xc.png

Last edited by Qtx; 31-07-2017 at 14:19.
Old 08-08-2017, 00:13   #8
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
We all have dual sim phones
No we all don't.

Where can I get a text only SIM?
I like texting.
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:32   #9
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

I've still go an Orange PAYG sim, which just keeps running till you use the credit up . EE are desperate to get customers off this and onto EE PAYG that runs out every 30 days. They've tried increasing charges, bribery etc but seeing as a £10 top up lasts me several months i'll be holding onto it.
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:50   #10
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
No we all don't.

Where can I get a text only SIM?
I like texting.
Maybe check with deaf groups since that's what they would major on.
Old 09-08-2017, 16:07   #11
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

I've got one from Vodafone in my dinky Tocco lite mobile. There's a 180 day inactivity limit but otherwise the credit doesn't expire.

5 long expiry deals here
Old 09-08-2017, 16:13   #12
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Picked up an Asda card in-shop for 50p but you can't top it up straight away. Needs to be put in the phone, dial 2732 to activate it after which you get a sms message saying they have given you 10 texts, 10 minutes and 10mb to use in the next 30 days. In the shop they say it can take up to 24 hours to activate properly so left to put the sim in at home rather than hanging around waiting for it to activate.

While on that number you can also link the top-up card in the package to your phone. So being as you can buy a voucher or top up the card with cash, this asda sim at least covers that side of things.

Still need to top up the card so not got to choose a pay as you go rather than bundle option yet but im guessing that is done through the same number and system.
Old 10-08-2017, 23:46   #13
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
Maybe check with deaf groups since that's what they would major on.
I'll have to text them and ask
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote