Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The end is nigh

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

The end is nigh

Old 27-04-2012, 02:33   #1
slowcoach
Inactive

Services: VM Phone 152 Meg.
slowcoach has reached the bronze age
slowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze age
Thumbs down The end is nigh

100/10 Mb/s at 1.00 AM in an area with just 40% utilisation. God help the congested areas.
slowcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-04-2012, 08:27   #2
Nopanic
Inactive

Nopanic has reached the bronze age
Nopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze age
Re: The end is nigh

Jesus, I'd be more inclined to press them on that ..
Nopanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 09:50   #3
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

that looks like a perfect 10mbit speed upgrade config (ds doubled but not us)
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 10:35   #4
slowcoach
Inactive

slowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nopanic View Post
Jesus, I'd be more inclined to press them on that ..
Fed up now of dealing with muppets, I might as well have asked the old woman across the road for help.
Soon as FTTP is available here I'm off.
Old 28-04-2012, 14:00   #5
Nopanic
Inactive

Nopanic has reached the bronze age
Nopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcoach View Post
Fed up now of dealing with muppets, I might as well have asked the old woman across the road for help.
Soon as FTTP is available here I'm off.
Try posting on FB or Twitter, different team and they tend to be pretty good.
Nopanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 20:59   #6
slowcoach
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nopanic View Post
Try posting on FB or Twitter, different team and they tend to be pretty good.
Thanks Nopanic, but I have reconciled myself to leaving, no big deal, it is just too much aggro trying to get them to admit that there is a problem at their end.
Old 28-04-2012, 21:02   #7
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

did you not say you were going to be the first on 120meg?
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 21:14   #8
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Quote:
Thanks Nopanic, but I have reconciled myself to leaving, no big deal, it is just too much aggro trying to get them to admit that there is a problem at their end.
I know exactly how you feel and sympathise.

VM/Ntl/whatever have rested on their laurals for ages, treating the subs like muck, because they knew they were the only game in town for fast BB.

They are still behaving in the same way but now they are just one Company amongst many. I expect the penny will drop eventually but by that time it might be too late.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 21:42   #9
GrizzlyRizzo
Inactive

GrizzlyRizzo is an unknown quantity at this point

Get them round to test your signal levels, apparently the modems run best at -6db to -8db and Tivo at 0db, also chack All F conectors, plus if you have abrown drop cable going to the box it may be that.

---------- Post added at 20:42 ---------- Previous post was at 20:40 ----------

Also, old isolators (ones with 2 ports) are old and out of date, a new one can give you an extra 10meg
GrizzlyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 22:50   #10
slowcoach
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
did you not say you were going to be the first on 120meg?
That was reported I the local rag about 3 weeks ago but they didn't give a date.

---------- Post added at 21:29 ---------- Previous post was at 21:24 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Fisher View Post
I know exactly how you feel and sympathise.

VM/Ntl/whatever have rested on their laurals for ages, treating the subs like muck, because they knew they were the only game in town for fast BB.

They are still behaving in the same way but now they are just one Company amongst many. I expect the penny will drop eventually but by that time it might be too late.
Judging by the problems people are having with low speeds after the doubling the rush to keep ahead of BT may come back to bite them.

---------- Post added at 21:50 ---------- Previous post was at 21:29 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyRizzo View Post
Get them round to test your signal levels, apparently the modems run best at -6db to -8db and Tivo at 0db, also chack All F conectors, plus if you have abrown drop cable going to the box it may be that.

---------- Post added at 20:42 ---------- Previous post was at 20:40 ----------

Also, old isolators (ones with 2 ports) are old and out of date, a new one can give you an extra 10meg
Signal and power levels are fine, I have a black drop cable, previously speeds have always been fine since install, no dropouts or rebooting. Currently it's back at 100+ but upload is still capped at 2.7 Mb/s. I only upgraded to 100 Mb for the extra upload, I was quite happy with the 50 Mb download speed.
I would get Infinity now but when I had ADSL I was always having problems with the line between home and the pole even though BT had strung a new line with the introduction of ADSL.
Old 28-04-2012, 22:54   #11
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyRizzo View Post
apparently the modems run best at -6db to -8db
no they dont
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 23:00   #12
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

introduction of ADSL? so you didnt get rewiring for a fault. it was a fresh install. that must of been done a while back. You sure they didnt mess anything up during install?

did you mean your waiting for BT FTTC ?
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 00:01   #13
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Judging by the problems people are having with low speeds after the doubling the rush to keep ahead of BT may come back to bite them.
Given my estimate is October 2012-July 2013, i.e. 14 months after BT, they're not exactly keeping ahead.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 01:02   #14
slowcoach
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
introduction of ADSL? so you didnt get rewiring for a fault. it was a fresh install. that must of been done a while back. You sure they didnt mess anything up during install?

did you mean your waiting for BT FTTC ?
I had ADSL installed by BT just after it came out, previously on dial-up, hey I go back a bit. First modem was an Acoustic Coupler which was surprisingly good considering you had to stuff your phone handset into it.

No, BT FTTP fibre to the premises, I don't want to know telephone wires after the hassle with adsl.
I was reading that BT have come up with a solution whereby they connect fibre to the cabinet which means that they are going to be able to roll it out much sooner than they originally planned.
Old 29-04-2012, 01:05   #15
GrizzlyRizzo
Inactive

GrizzlyRizzo is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Given my estimate is October 2012-July 2013, i.e. 14 months after BT, they're not exactly keeping ahead.
In the short term, based on your estimates, you would get the best speeds from BT, but as we all know, BT sell of their network to the highest bidder, and then anyone else they can get money from. Virgin Media is a stand alone network, not selling off it's network to other sub ISPs like the long list that BT supports, so if you stay the course i'd bet money you'd end up in a better place with better speed.
GrizzlyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote