Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Has a new SW file been sent to Hub2 ac users?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Has a new SW file been sent to Hub2 ac users?

Old 08-03-2017, 19:27   #61
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age
Re: Has a new SW file been sent to Hub2 ac users?

The website doesn't really mention modem mode, it only says opting out is done via my VM.

If they do start identifying modem mode users and blocking them without them having opted out then it may cause a bit of a kick-off. VM had the firmware written to allow this service, they could have easily enough specified that it should also work with the device set to modem mode too. The device is certainly capable of doing it.

Last edited by Skie; 08-03-2017 at 19:31.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-03-2017, 13:40   #62
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Both being in modem mode or disabling 2.4GHz wireless in router mode will opt you out of the VM WiFi service.
Old 14-03-2017, 17:40   #63
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skie View Post
The website doesn't really mention modem mode, it only says opting out is done via my VM.

If they do start identifying modem mode users and blocking them without them having opted out then it may cause a bit of a kick-off. VM had the firmware written to allow this service, they could have easily enough specified that it should also work with the device set to modem mode too. The device is certainly capable of doing it.
I don't see how. In modem mode, the radios are turned off. You are suggesting that they further tinker with the firmware to keep the 2.4GHz radio on - maybe not so easy because of the routing functions that must also be enabled.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 19:23   #64
Foo Fighter
cf.addict

Foo Fighter will become famous soon enoughFoo Fighter will become famous soon enoughFoo Fighter will become famous soon enough

Vivid 150 had a boost too i think

Primary Downstream Service Flow
Max Traffic Rate 172500000
Primary Upstream Service Flow
Max Traffic Rate 10500000
Foo Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 19:31   #65
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I don't see how. In modem mode, the radios are turned off. You are suggesting that they further tinker with the firmware to keep the 2.4GHz radio on - maybe not so easy because of the routing functions that must also be enabled.
My SH3 has it's radios on whilst in modem mode
Old 14-03-2017, 20:20   #66
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skie View Post
My SH3 has it's radios on whilst in modem mode
Tell us more. Does mine? I can't see any SSID from the Hub 3.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 20:52   #67
Skie
a giant headend

I'm pretty sure it's a bug. I'm stuck in some weird limbo where I can't disable modem mode but it also has all of the router mode settings available.

But either way, VM are having firmware made that allows them to have an entirely separate network running. It also apparently reports back to VM if your device is in modem mode so they know you are opted-out. Modem mode is just a bunch of configuration changes that disable DHCP, wireless and the other ports (though not early on ). It's not some hard kill switch that disables the hardware, just a bit being flipped to 0
Old 30-08-2017, 11:27   #68
gothicdraconian
cf.member

gothicdraconian is an unknown quantity at this point

New software for SH2ac downloaded overnight.

I am now on v2.01.12 as of 30.08.17.

The last time i had v2 (January) it was v2.01.11. This didn't last very long as Virgin rolled back to an earlier v1.01.14 and that was running until last night.

Does this mean the SH2ac Wifi Hotspot rollout is underway again?
gothicdraconian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 14:42   #69
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicdraconian View Post
New software for SH2ac downloaded overnight.

I am now on v2.01.12 as of 30.08.17.

The last time i had v2 (January) it was v2.01.11. This didn't last very long as Virgin rolled back to an earlier v1.01.14 and that was running until last night.

Does this mean the SH2ac Wifi Hotspot rollout is underway again?
Possibly, they did say they were looking to include SH2s in the network.
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 14:59   #70
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

A big software update is needed anyway for other purposes.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 23:22   #71
007stuart
cf.addict

Services: TIVO V6 Meg Service TV XL Virgin Phone Home & Mobile My wife says I have too many SONOS units
007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute

Still on V1.01.14
007stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 06:32   #72
William morgan
Inactive

William morgan is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just factory reset my router superhub2ac i now have the same update v2 and its severely affecting my ps4. Wtf i heard rumours of a similar update like this before being totally broken.
William morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 09:25   #73
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
A big software update is needed anyway for other purposes.
Exciting secrecy
Old 31-08-2017, 10:33   #74
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

The interesting bits aren't customer facing so nothing that exciting.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 11:04   #75
Synthetic
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
The interesting bits aren't customer facing so nothing that exciting.
Ah, still interested to see what's going on in the background (assuming we can).

Had a bunch of outages here yesterday, not sure if it's due to something like this or some new cables being installed to a previously non VM served building but stats are all the same.