Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Updated] New petrol & diesel car sales banned from 2030

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

[Updated] New petrol & diesel car sales banned from 2030

Old 18-10-2017, 21:57   #451
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Petrol & diesel vehicles ban (2040).

Interesting to see Shell adding charging to some of its petrol stations.
Quote:
Royal Dutch Shell has launched a fast-charging service for electric vehicles at three Shell service stations near London and in northern England, the company said on Wednesday.
The service, which charges most electric vehicle batteries from zero to 80 per cent within half an hour, is the oil major’s first foray into fast-charging electric vehicles, whose use is set to grow with consumers’ demand for cleaner cars.
Shell will expand the service further in Britain and into the Netherlands and the Philippines, the company said.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...-a8006206.html
1andrew1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-10-2017, 22:43   #452
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

The writing’s on the wall. They’re going to have to embrace it sooner or later, and try to make the best of it as well, by expanding their retail offering to maximise the opportunities presented by drivers potentially being on-site for longer. Even so, I think there’s no long-term future for the filling station as we presently conceive it. The charging time means future “filling” stations are mostly going to have to be close to destinations rather than strategic points en-route, with the exception of long-distance routes (ie motorways, where the additional infrastructure for coping with drivers waiting around actually already exists).
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 22:46   #453
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Well as I am now retraining as a Baptist church minister I am neither going to secure a fat salary, nor win the lottery. So I guess I’d better find a house near my church so I’ll only ever have to worry about shoe leather.
don't you mean sandal leather
Old 18-10-2017, 23:13   #454
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
The writing’s on the wall. They’re going to have to embrace it sooner or later, and try to make the best of it as well, by expanding their retail offering to maximise the opportunities presented by drivers potentially being on-site for longer. Even so, I think there’s no long-term future for the filling station as we presently conceive it. The charging time means future “filling” stations are mostly going to have to be close to destinations rather than strategic points en-route, with the exception of long-distance routes (ie motorways, where the additional infrastructure for coping with drivers waiting around actually already exists).
Proper wireless charging exists as well although it's currently really inefficient but before too long we could see it at car parks and such.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 23:47   #455
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Shell are installing charging points in petrol stations.

Link
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 09:49   #456
Brunel
Chief Mechanical Engineer

Services: V.M. M. 125 November 6 2018. Finally connected.
Brunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the rough

Local LIDL have a free charging point, in the car park.
Brunel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 15:34   #457
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
A BLAZING Tesla has sparked electric car safety fears after firefighters battled to extinguish the inferno.

The Model S was engulfed in flames after its 19-year-old driver crashed into a concrete barrier in Austria.

And fire crews struggled to put out the billowing flames caused by the lithium-ion batteries.

Toxic gases released by the burning power packs meant firefighters had to wear special breathing kit to tackle the blaze.

And while the driver made it out safely, it took five fire engines and 35 crew members to finally get the fire under control.

The terrifying video shows huge plumes of smoke erupting around the wrecked £50,000 plug-in car as the battery is cooled.
Source

And you thought a petrol tank was dangerous.
Old 19-10-2017, 15:43   #458
AbyssUnderground
cf.mega poster

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, HH5, synced at maximum 80Mbps/20Mbps.
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to AbyssUnderground

Five fire engines and 35 crew were standing by. It did not take all of them to put it out (watch the video and see for yourself). Yet another over exaggeration by the media and non-EV lovers to discredit them.

Cars set on fire and burn every day. They're no different to EV's in any way, it just somehow becomes a big deal when it's an EV.
AbyssUnderground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 16:21   #459
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Well as I am now retraining as a Baptist church minister I am neither going to secure a fat salary, nor win the lottery. So I guess I’d better find a house near my church so I’ll only ever have to worry about shoe leather.
Well said Chris
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 16:44   #460
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
We had a Tesla owner stay with us last year. Loved having it on the driveway even if it was only for one night.
!
You have should 'borrowed' it. Offered to test it on the Scottish roads for them.
Old 20-10-2017, 15:34   #461
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Source

It is. It contains something like 50 litres of volatile liquid whose vapour is explosive at a lower concentration than hydrogen (and a lot else). While they catch fire a lot more often than we might like to think, cars don't routinely explode because plenty of work has been done on keeping the fuel sealed away from sources of ignition even after an accident. However under the right conditions they can and do burn, sometimes with horrible results.

Two pumps attended this fire in Greater Manchester. GMFRS said they deal with vehicle fires "several times a day".
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 14:26   #462
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...el-study-finds

Quote:
Electric cars emit significantly less greenhouse gases over their lifetimes than diesel engines even when they are powered by the most carbon intensive energy, a new report has found.

In Poland, which uses high volumes of coal, electric vehicles produced a quarter less emissions than diesels when put through a full lifecycle modelling study by Belgium’s VUB University.

CO2 reductions on Europe’s cleanest grid in Sweden were a remarkable 85%, falling to around one half for countries such as the UK.
Old 25-10-2017, 16:27   #463
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Source

From the article
Quote:
While the Tesla performed as it should by containing the fire just in the battery compartment.

A Tesla spokeswoman said: "Tesla’s billions of miles of actual driving data shows that its vehicles have been roughly five times less likely to experience a fire than a conventional gasoline vehicle."

The video highlights the potential dangers of millions of electric cars flooding UK roads and the prospect of an uncontrollable blaze breaking out.
So, the article sort of contradicts itself.

It says that the Tesla performed just as it should, and cites a source (at Tesla) claiming that Teslas experience fires roughly five times less often than petrol cars, then says the video highlights potential dangers of millions of electric cars.

Let me get this straight. Lithium Ion batteries are dangerous. As are Petrol and Diesel. In all three cases, the danger can be mitigated by the installation of safety mechanisms and measures. Never entirely removed, but reduced and mitigated.

---------- Post added at 15:27 ---------- Previous post was at 15:04 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Proper wireless charging exists as well although it's currently really inefficient but before too long we could see it at car parks and such.
While they have retired the original stations, it looks like Tesla are still working on fast battery swapping technology, so it's entirely possible that filling stations will adapt, and add battery swap stations. In future, these swap stations may be able to swap a battery pack in a few minutes, in which case, it will be as convenient as filling up at the pump.

Last edited by Stuart; 25-10-2017 at 16:32.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 18:29   #464
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
We had a Tesla owner stay with us last year. Loved having it on the driveway even if it was only for one night.

Someone local must own one as well, because I’ve seen one on the roads near here a couple of times lately.

They are very, very lovely machines, and capable of replacing a petro-fuelled car for just about anyone short of a hard working sales rep.

Pity I’ll never have the means to own one though!
We have a Tesla owner up the street. It is an awesome car, although it is scary as a pedestrian because when you are crossing the road, you cannot hear it (I know I will still see it, but I never realized how much I relied on my ears). I think the owner owns a company where he does a *lot* of motorway travel, and apparently the Tesla does work out cheaper, although you have to factor in the charge time. He has installed a Tesla home charging station on his drive, which means if he leaves the car plugged in over night, it will be fully charged the next morning.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 18:32   #465
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
We have a Tesla owner up the street. It is an awesome car, although it is scary as a pedestrian because when you are crossing the road, you cannot hear it (I know I will still see it, but I never realized how much I relied on my ears). I think the owner owns a company where he does a *lot* of motorway travel, and apparently the Tesla does work out cheaper, although you have to factor in the charge time. He has installed a Tesla home charging station on his drive, which means if he leaves the car plugged in over night, it will be fully charged the next morning.
They should force them to play the Jaws theme if they're going under 10mph