Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The iPhone thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology

The iPhone thread

Old 18-09-2007, 11:19   #31
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: iPhone UK Release info

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSainsbury View Post
Yeah yeah - the great unlimited swindle again....

No doubt there will be a FUP involved...
Yes there is. But I think you'll be hard pushed to go over it on a iPhone
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-09-2007, 11:27   #32
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Ah, with its not-really-3G compromise technology. They should have called it FUDGE, rather than EDGE.

Anyone know why the iPhone doesn't currently support 3G? Is it due to lack of 3G networks in the USA, battery consumption, bulk, or something else?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2007, 11:30   #33
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T View Post
Ah, with its not-really-3G compromise technology. They should have called it FUDGE, rather than EDGE.

Anyone know why the iPhone doesn't currently support 3G? Is it due to lack of 3G networks in the USA, battery consumption, bulk, or something else?
Apple say its battery, more likely its like of 3G in America and the added price....
Old 18-09-2007, 11:32   #34
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T View Post

According to Tim Cook, Apple COO (back in March 07)
Pocketpicks
"Our thinking was first and foremost that we wanted GSM because GSM was the world standard and that was one of the factors in the selection of Cingular. Secondly, the product as we announced it has wireless capabilities. Many people, like in this room, have access to WiFi, including this room, home, where you have coffee. Between this spots we are going to use 2.5G because it’s widely deployed. We’re confident that it will give the user a great experience.”

Sounds a bit wishy-washy to me - Edge is so much slower than 3G HSDPA.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2007, 11:40   #35
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

Quote:
Yeah yeah - a few MP3's, 50 emails and and a few internetweb browses and it'll tip it over ....you just watch this space come December when the first bills arrive on customer doorsteps...
Old 18-09-2007, 11:45   #36
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

I wonder if they will come in boxes like the US iPhones Over 300 pages of $0.00 itemised GPRS charges per month
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2007, 11:45   #37
LSainsbury

Apple launches £269 iPhone in the UK -> IT Pro

Quote:
"All price plans will have unlimited data, on wireless hotspots, GPRS and Edge" said Key, moving quickly to address concerns over high data bills that have emerged during early use in the US. The data service does have a fair usage policy, which Key would not go into specifics on.
That's because they are hiding something...it's the most important piece of info I require when entering into a new contract.
Old 18-09-2007, 13:05   #38
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

Full tariff information on Carfonewarehouse site
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2007, 13:10   #39
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Why's wifi subjected to a FUP?

Surely that's upto the wifi provider not O2?
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2007, 13:36   #40
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin View Post
Why's wifi subjected to a FUP?

Surely that's upto the wifi provider not O2?
I assume that relates to the 'unlimited' access to O2's own WiFi network, which is part of the bundle.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2007, 13:47   #41
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

The are using 'the cloud' for wi-fi.

I would expect a 1gb data with perhaps a 1gb wifi fair use policy.
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2007, 14:11   #42
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

for a portable device the fair usage thing is more than enough, you're not going to be downloading torrents or binary files....
Old 18-09-2007, 14:59   #43
LSainsbury

Quote:
for a portable device the fair usage thing is more than enough, you're not going to be downloading torrents or binary files....
Says who?

What I download it up to me / the users - not for somebody to dictate what I can and can't download on a device of my choice!
Old 18-09-2007, 15:04   #44
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSainsbury View Post
Says who?

What I download it up to me / the users - not for somebody to dictate what I can and can't download on a device of my choice!
The police may disagree - ask Chris Langham......
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2007, 15:19   #45
LSainsbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverwar View Post
The police may disagree - ask Chris Langham......
LOL!!! I didn't mean that kinda stuff....but what if I wanted to download 30 MP3 albums and a couple of videos...