Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | sky sports red button

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

sky sports red button

Old 05-01-2011, 18:09   #31
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.
Re: sky sports red button

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
Ofcom agreement was for Sky Sports HD1 & 2 access for fair price to VM, BT.

VM did a seperate deal (as part of the VMtv sale) with Sky for Sky Movies HD, Sky1HD, Sky Arts HD1 & 2, the then Sky Real Lives HD channels and red button access to Sky Sports.

---------- Post added at 14:06 ---------- Previous post was at 14:05 ----------

This is what VM believe too. The launch of red button will close that gap somewhat.
Thanks for the answers Digital Fanatic appreciate it.
Advertisement
Old 10-01-2011, 13:19   #32
Doug P
Inactive

Services: Virgin Cable TV (Tivo) and Freeview
Doug P has reached the bronze age
Doug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkesghost View Post
Crumbs from the master's plate
Sky Sports 1 and 2 HD and some red button can hardly be described as crumbs.

---------- Post added at 13:19 ---------- Previous post was at 13:16 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedm45 View Post
Completely agree, it should be a full service. Just checked the Sky website and SD Sports is £20.25 on top of whatever TV Packs you have.

I appreciate VM need to make some profit on each SS sub but we VM customers effectively pay more or less the same as Sky Customers for an inferior service.
You pays your money and you takes your choice........
Doug P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 13:27   #33
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug P View Post

You pays your money and you takes your choice........
When you cannot get Sky it's not much of a choice
Joedm45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 13:28   #34
Doug P
Inactive

Services: Virgin Cable TV (Tivo) and Freeview
Doug P has reached the bronze age
Doug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedm45 View Post
When you cannot get Sky it's not much of a choice
I think VM's sport selection is excellent considering who provides most of the pictures.
Doug P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 19:30   #35
mersey70
Inactive

Services: TV M, L BB, Sky+ HD
mersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant future

I am pretty sure I read VM need to do some technical work before SSP Red Button is offered which might explain why it still isn't available.

If you notice on BBC News Multiscreen it only seems able to offer 4 active screens at once, 2 of them are just static placeholders although when you select them they reveal the video stream.

Maybe they are updating this, who knows?
mersey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 22:20   #36
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersey70 View Post
I am pretty sure I read VM need to do some technical work before SSP Red Button is offered which might explain why it still isn't available.

If you notice on BBC News Multiscreen it only seems able to offer 4 active screens at once, 2 of them are just static placeholders although when you select them they reveal the video stream.

Maybe they are updating this, who knows?
Thanks for that Mersey70 fingers crossed you are right,it could well be that they may need to do some more technical work for SSP Red Button.

And yes i do notice what you have said about BBC news multiscreen as well.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:52   #37
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

But they have had 7 months to do this technical work if it is that, they signed their deal with Sky last May and we are stll waiting.
denphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:08   #38
Henkesghost
Sceptic

Henkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronze
Henkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
But they have had 7 months to do this technical work if it is that, they signed their deal with Sky last May and we are stll waiting.
Maybe virgin are in talks about doing the technical work.
Henkesghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:45   #39
mersey70
Inactive

mersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
That was merely something (I think) I read, maybe someone with far more technical knowledge than me could confirm it?. I suppose it could really be all manner of reasons why red button has not started yet.

Hopefully it will be with us soon, fingers crossed!
Old 11-01-2011, 09:20   #40
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Sky Sports Red Button is a very complex application - much bigger than the BBC sports multiscreen for instance. There is a lot of work for both Virgin and Sky, and it does take months to design, develop and test. As far as I know, it's all going to plan.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:28   #41
mersey70
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Sky Sports Red Button is a very complex application - much bigger than the BBC sports multiscreen for instance. There is a lot of work for both Virgin and Sky, and it does take months to design, develop and test. As far as I know, it's all going to plan.
Thanks for that, actually I think it was a post you made that I was referring to as I recognise what you say now.

Cheers.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:44   #42
pauldavies83
Inactive

pauldavies83 is on a distinguished roadpauldavies83 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Thanks for the input.

Does that mean (as far as you know), the full feature set of the application will come over from Sky (i.e. on Champions League goals go in in a different game to the one you are watching, you get a goal flash on the screen and can switch to the stream the goal went in on to watch it)

Because I would have honestly expected just the multiscreen bits - anything more advanced than this would indeed take more time.
pauldavies83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:14   #43
whizzard
Inactive

Services: VM TiVo & V+ XL TV / XL Telephone / XL 30Mb Broadband with Super Hub
whizzard is a name known to allwhizzard is a name known to allwhizzard is a name known to allwhizzard is a name known to allwhizzard is a name known to allwhizzard is a name known to allwhizzard is a name known to allwhizzard is a name known to all

Work is still ongoing from what I hear, but shouldnt be much longer before the wait is over.
whizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:26   #44
Rattus
Inactive

Rattus will become famous soon enoughRattus will become famous soon enoughRattus will become famous soon enough

The cynic in me thinks that the tech work will all be finished and the the red button launched some time around the end of may once the current season is over...
Rattus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:40   #45
winkle

Phoned a supervisor in CS, they have told me it will be here this month. Also have been told that a few times before it's heading this way this month.

Full red button service aswell apparently, the reason in delay is because they have been testing it on Tivo