Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What are your best and worse TV ads?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television

What are your best and worse TV ads?

Old 06-04-2008, 20:44   #1
frogstamper
Inactive

Services: VIP
frogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronze
frogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronze
What are your best and worse TV ads?

After seeing a similar topic on other websites I thought we should have a go.

My favourite ad was the old "Hovis" bread ad, where the young boy is free wheeling down the cobbled street accompanied by that classic tune. Puts me in mind of Sunday nights as a kid, "by gum those were happy days"

And my worst advert without a shadow of a doubt, is the one for "safestyle" double glazing, the one where the balding guy keeps shouting "buy one and get one free, I said BUY ONE AND GET ONE FREE"
frogstamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-04-2008, 20:47   #2
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Re: What are your best and worse TV ads?

Best - The blackcurrant Tango one
Worst - Cillit Bang (Any of them) or maybe any of the "Had an accident? Why not sue someone for something that wasn't their fault and make some parasitic lawyer happy and rich"
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 20:51   #3
icestar2
Inactive

Services: Phone, HDTV, 30MB BB, Tivo
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal

Fave is that milk ad thats always on. With the cow and pirate dancing lol. I dunno why but I laugh everytime I hear the pirate scream. and the little guy at the end makes me laugh to "Lovely".

Worse has gotta be the bloody comparision website ad's All of them. And car insurance Ad's omg I h8 them all I beleive they were created in hell to torture us all.
icestar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 21:03   #4
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

The one I always remember is on old Carlsberg with an Aboriginal Australian throwing a boomerang. It ran over the whole evening, comes on throws boomerang, nothing. Eventually he downs said lager and hundereds of boomerangs return.

Most ad's though are terrible especially when they are blindingly obvious. The best ones are remembered for the ad not the product but you do remember the latter.
Old 06-04-2008, 21:50   #5
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

very hard

Best Cadburys Gorrila and Sony paint (Tower block)

Worst Any that ITV show during F1
Old 06-04-2008, 22:16   #6
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Some of my favourite ones:

Honda "The Cog":
http://youtube.com/watch?v=FGngcQb_0qg

Sony "Bouncy Balls":
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2Bb8P7dfjVw

Guiness Surfer:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=zcdDg30VBgo

Tango Apple:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-s38ZuedBHI

Cocacola "Inside vending machine"
http://youtube.com/watch?v=djBQnMibjEM

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 22:19   #7
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Agreed on the Sony Paint Ad plus the Sony Bouncy Balls one...

And of course the Tango spoof..
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 22:22   #8
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Best: The Coca-Cola GTA-styled commercial.

Worst: Those Sensodyne Pronamel adverts where they constantly film 'dentists' from stupid angles and deliberately shake the camera to make it look more folksy, like a party political broadcast. And then the 'dentists' over-enunciate every word.
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 22:31   #9
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Worst, the Gaviscon ads.

The very worst (Traffic policewoman) isn't there unfortunately...
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 23:32   #10
iFrankie
cf.mega poster

Services: V BB 350
iFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appeal
iFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to iFrankie Send a message via Yahoo to iFrankie

i did a post on this a while back, my much hated advert is the joss stone one for flakes, my fav is the pepsi advert by britney spears very old a know lol
iFrankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 23:47   #11
frogstamper
Inactive

Services: VIP
frogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronze
frogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobbydaler View Post
Worst, the Gaviscon ads.

The very worst (Traffic policewoman) isn't there unfortunately...
Actually with you mentioning the Gaviscon ads Cobbydaler its just reminded me of that awful ad voiced by Griff Rhys Jones for "Actimel" the friendly bacteria, it generally comes on when your eating your tea, lovely
frogstamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 23:50   #12
Enuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin View Post
Great tune... I can't stop whistling it!! As for the worst ads, has to be the life insurance ads that give you a free gift if you sign up, like a pen, radio alarm clock or something else that'll break soon as you touch it. RIP OFF!
Old 07-04-2008, 00:24   #13
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Any ad eventually becomes the worst if you see it enough times.

I still quite like the John West Bear ads possibly because they don't get shown very often.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:52   #14
Chorlton
Inactive

Services: Virgin XL TV, V+, L BB and phone. Virgin mobile
Chorlton is a jewel in the roughChorlton is a jewel in the roughChorlton is a jewel in the roughChorlton is a jewel in the roughChorlton is a jewel in the rough

The worst one for me has to be that one for toilet rolls with the toddler dressed as the MD - that really disturbs me!
Nearly as bad is the stupid Challenge Churchill quiz questions thing - it's only a puppet you know.
Chorlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 16:21   #15
tweetypie/8
Permanently Banned

Services: vmxl virgin vmbb virgin mobile
tweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogstamper View Post
After seeing a similar topic on other websites I thought we should have a go.

My favourite ad was the old "Hovis" bread ad, where the young boy is free wheeling down the cobbled street accompanied by that classic tune. Puts me in mind of Sunday nights as a kid, "by gum those were happy days"

And my worst advert without a shadow of a doubt, is the one for "safestyle" double glazing, the one where the balding guy keeps shouting "buy one and get one free, I said BUY ONE AND GET ONE FREE"
best one,the lawrence of arabia with the camel ,what about ye lawrence !!
worst that prat with the toilet cleaner,i know where i would like to shove it.
tweetypie/8 is offline   Reply With Quote