Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | free program to open .pub files

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Potentially harmful?

Old 16-08-2007, 00:25   #1
Sirpingalot
Inactive

Services: VM 20Mb BB
Sirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation era
Potentially harmful?

I've just been sent what would appear to be something dodgy. The file's called Ultimatia and it's an application. Windows identifies it as a potentially harmful file, could anyone shed light on what it is?

Thanks,
Michael
Sirpingalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-08-2007, 00:31   #2
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M
Re: Potentially harmful?

erm, sent by anyone you know? Whats it supposed to be!? If in doubt, don't touch it with a barge pole
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2007, 01:04   #3
bopdude
Inactive

bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to bopdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirpingalot View Post
I've just been sent what would appear to be something dodgy. The file's called Ultimatia and it's an application. Windows identifies it as a potentially harmful file, could anyone shed light on what it is?

Thanks,
Michael
Windows sometimes spits it's dummy out over apps that aren't M$ trusted, as Zeph says, where and who is it from, what app is it ?
bopdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2007, 01:10   #4
Sirpingalot
Inactive

Sirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation eraSirpingalot has entered a golden reputation era

No idea..a friend said he found it on his pc and asked me what it might be..
Old 16-08-2007, 06:35   #5
zing_deleted

so he sent it you lol nice friend lol .
Old 16-08-2007, 07:48   #6
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Yeah, with friends like those who needs enemys The fact that a (admittedly cursory) Google turns up nothing doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

Your friend must have got it from someone, as said above though if you can't identify it then leave it alone - definitely don't run it!
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2007, 08:44   #7
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

Right click the exe, go to properties and have a look at the details - that might give a clue as to where it came from!
Old 16-08-2007, 09:47   #8
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

If you are not sure, just delete it.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2007, 18:03   #9
7@m3 G33k
Inactive

Services: 3 for £30 & I still pay 25p/min tech support?!?
7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C View Post
If you are not sure, just delete it.
...and then go slap your mate for sending it to you!
7@m3 G33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2007, 18:34   #10
zing_deleted

and yourself for saying you will have a look
Old 16-08-2007, 22:52   #11
ikthius
Inactive

Services: anything for a new job
ikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronze
ikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronze

could you not scan it before looking at it?

but I would tend to delete any apps that is sent to me even from friends unless they asked me specifically and pleaded, or I ask for it.

ik
ikthius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2007, 23:21   #12
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

Upload it to virustotal.com if you like.

nffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2007, 01:12   #13
Sirpingalot
Inactive

I just reinstalled Windows, as I was going to do this anyway. Under details, it mentioned something about "archive root directory" which obviously suggests it is dodgy, am I right?
Old 18-08-2007, 07:14   #14
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirpingalot View Post
I just reinstalled Windows, as I was going to do this anyway. Under details, it mentioned something about "archive root directory" which obviously suggests it is dodgy, am I right?
Why don't you just ask your friend!! As already pointed out!!

There are millions of .exe's out there - how can we be expected to tell if it's safe or not? You've not given us much detail about it!

Did you try my right-click option?
Old 18-08-2007, 07:56   #15
K Man
Inactive

Services: V+ VIP & Vmobile - in for a penny.......and all that
K Man has a spectacular aura about themK Man has a spectacular aura about themK Man has a spectacular aura about themK Man has a spectacular aura about them

Better yet, put the machine in a box and throw it in the bin!!

Then go get ya'self a Mac: http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObje...e/desktop/imac

Then you can forget about dodgy filez and trojans and any kind of viruses and just do what you want to do online without fear!!

This is what happens when you're on a system that has over 85% of the global market share for computers. Every kid who knows a bit of code is gonna try and make a name for themself by writing destructive programs to wreck and ruin everyone else. Their end game is usually to make enough of an impact so they get picked up by a major Corp or the military.

Make the switch - you know it makes sense!!
K Man is offline   Reply With Quote