Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Connecting keeps dropping, IP address going to 169.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Problem with loading ntl home page.

Old 02-03-2004, 12:13   #1
Church Mouse
Inactive

Church Mouse will become famous soon enoughChurch Mouse will become famous soon enoughChurch Mouse will become famous soon enough
Problem with loading ntl home page.

Hi,

This morning it is taking three minutes, at least, for the ntl home page to download. When it does it says 'Done but with errors on page'

I cannot find anywhere on the server status page that says there is a problem.

Other web sites are loadink ok.

Is anyone else experiencing problems with the home page.

Thanks

Church Mouse
Church Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2004, 12:16   #2
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Problem with loading ntl home page.

Sounds like a proxy problem. Have you tried changing proxy servers ?

You can change proxy by following the instructions on this link - http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d....html#sidestep
Stuartbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 00:45   #3
Church Mouse
Inactive

Church Mouse will become famous soon enoughChurch Mouse will become famous soon enoughChurch Mouse will become famous soon enough

Hi,

I looked at the link that you advised, but I was a bit nervous about changing things.

I checked 'which is my cache' and both links gave me different addresses so I was not sure what to do. I am not sure if I am allowed to show the proxy address,that I have, on here?

At present, if I click on the toolbar. over the 'Done but with error on page' I get the info:-

Line: 80
Char: 3
Error: Object Expected
Code: 0
URL: http://www.ntlworld.com/index.php

Regards

Church Mouse
Old 03-03-2004, 01:09   #4
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church Mouse
Hi,

I looked at the link that you advised, but I was a bit nervous about changing things.

I checked 'which is my cache' and both links gave me different addresses so I was not sure what to do. I am not sure if I am allowed to show the proxy address,that I have, on here?

At present, if I click on the toolbar. over the 'Done but with error on page' I get the info:-

Line: 80
Char: 3
Error: Object Expected
Code: 0
URL: http://www.ntlworld.com/index.php

Regards

Church Mouse
There is no need to worry about changing your proxy at all (and you are allowed to). You will probably find that IE has no setting in the box you would be putting the specific proxy in. And if it doesn't work, you simply go back to 'automatically detect settings', which is on the same box. Have a look at the site that stuartbe suggested, and then look at the place where you would need to make changes in IE. I'm sure you will find you can undo them very easily.

If not, just post back here
Old 03-03-2004, 02:13   #5
Church Mouse
Inactive

Hi,

Ihave looked at the site and went into Internet Options>Connections>Lan Settings.

The address box and port box already have an address in and when I click on the advanced button the HTTP address and Port no is filled in as are the other rows.

Should I delete all of these entries before entering another address or just leave them as they are.

Thank you

Church Mouse
Old 03-03-2004, 08:01   #6
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Hi,

Ihave looked at the site and went into Internet Options>Connections>Lan Settings.

The address box and port box already have an address in and when I click on the advanced button the HTTP address and Port no is filled in as are the other rows.

Should I delete all of these entries before entering another address or just leave them as they are.

Thank you

Church Mouse
Just replce the address with the new one. Make sure that is says port 8080 in the port window.
Old 04-03-2004, 01:48   #7
Church Mouse
Inactive

Hi,

I have tried three different proxy servers and none of them solved the problem.

I have followed Robin Walkers instruction on how to return IE to normal with no explicit web proxy because one of the proxies I tried would not let me access any sites at all.

I have not got Automatically detect settings checked any more, is this ok?

The only page that i was and still am experiencing problems with is my home page which is ntlworld and it is still taking three minutes to download and is then 'Done but with errors on page'

Thanks for your help

Church Mouse
Old 04-03-2004, 01:53   #8
Nikko
Inactive

Nikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appeal
Nikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appeal

Try closing and re-opening IE - go to tools-internet options-delete files

navigate to your page

if the site is still slow to load, try pressing <ctrl + f5>
Nikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 02:06   #9
Church Mouse
Inactive

Thank you for replying, tried pressing ctrl + f5 but makes no difference

I have also just heard from a friend who only lives a couple of roads away, that he is having the same problem, re very slow loading and errors on page.

His is also, only, on his ntl home page, it started a couple of days ago like mine did.

He rang ntl tech support and they told him it was a acripting error and to ring microsoft, he hasn't done so yet as he is hoping it will rectify itself.

Thanks for your advice and any further suggestions.

Church Mouse
Old 04-03-2004, 09:08   #10
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Hmmmmm. A scripting error on two diferent computers that are nothind to do with each other ?????? Have they sugested you perform a rain dance, sacrifice a sheep and dance the mumba yet ????

Maybe that will fix it ....
Old 04-03-2004, 09:51   #11
Enterian
Inactive

Enterian is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm getting the same problem. If you ask me it's a scripting error with the NTL website - not quite sure how Microsoft are going to help with that.
Enterian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 11:25   #12
Church Mouse
Inactive

Hello,

Yes, thank you both for replying to my last post.

My friend has not rang Microsoft as he is unsure if they will charge for telephone support, he is also of the same opinion that it is an ntl problem, as like me he is not having problems with any other sites as far as he is aware.

Maybe, (hopefully) it will be spotted and sorted at the correct department before long.

I suppose that we could change our home page but that does not solve the problem really.

Regards

Church Mouse
Old 04-03-2004, 14:43   #13
clammit
Inactive

clammit is an unknown quantity at this point

Could the problem be a localised one? (Homepage takes ages to load and then shows 3-4 error messages.)
I'm also in Coventry and have had the same problem for a couple of days.
clammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 14:57   #14
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

No problems in Luton.... It must be localised....

Dont bother calling Microsoft. Its not going to be a browser problem, Besides if your windows is OEM then they wont support you full stop.. !!!
Old 04-03-2004, 14:59   #15
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

Quote:
He rang ntl tech support and they told him it was a acripting error and to ring microsoft
LMAO-Typical ntl BS, he probably wouldn't know what a scripting error was if it jumped up & bit him on the ar$e!

Did your m8 get the name of this BS-er that offered him this 'advice'?
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote