Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The iPhone thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology

The iPhone thread

Old 25-09-2014, 16:05   #2401
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
Re: The iPhone thread

Apple are bound to get more hate given their stature though. EA get the same for games but to be fair both companies offer a pay more get less outlook.

Examples being the obvious one up first: iPhone 6 is beaten on specs by every other major phone on the market. Anything in the same spec range as the iPhone costs less.

EA example. Sims 4 has less features than the Sims 3 but costs are more and is touted about as a new game.

I don't care how awesome it sells because the majority of hate is generated from the pay more get less scenario. For their original and existing fan base this is fine but for anyone buying a new smartphone they don't really offer much incentive for you to choose their product when they can have something more for less money.

That's my annoyance at Apple. As for other products not receiving hate when something goes wrong. Check out the reaction people had when their galaxy s4 batteries swelled or how the microphone on the new HTC One M8 is constantly having problems including my own.
Old 25-09-2014, 17:10   #2402
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

I've got to admit some of these are funny. Especially the Dali Edition.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...-rages-on.html
Old 26-09-2014, 00:12   #2403
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Don't worry, Apple says bent iPhones are rare. Maybe that'll mean they'll be valuable.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29371113
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 23:36   #2404
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Samsung's marketing machine did a fantastic job of keeping quiet the fact that the S4 also bends....although I guess nobody decided it was a problem until it happened to Apple.

http://youtu.be/SwdZzvCFhLo

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 23:45   #2405
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Samsung's marketing machine did a fantastic job of keeping quiet the fact that the S4 also bends....although I guess nobody decided it was a problem until it happened to Apple.

http://youtu.be/SwdZzvCFhLo
I'm sure anything would bend or break using your hands and using that amount of force. Maybe they should have tried to sit down and see if it still bends like the iphone does. I haven't heard that it does.
Old 27-09-2014, 06:04   #2406
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Maybe that's because it's acceptable for a Samsung?

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 06:25   #2407
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

Quote:
Following the social media storm about the new iPhone 6 and 6 Plus bending, Consumer Reports turned to science and stress-tested 6 smartphones to see if #Bendgate is overblown. See which phones withstood the most force before permanently bending.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0-3fIs2jQs#t=200

Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 11:35   #2408
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

Maybe at this point they'll concede that their phones are getting either too thin for the material used.. or that the phones are too thin period.

I have an enormous house brick sized thick phone (Sony Z3 compact) at 8.6mm and that feels too thin, it won't bend though as it's not made of tin foil I mean aluminium...

Apple are getting slated for their el crappo battery capacity now, with experts asking why the battery capacity is so low, in order to have phones so thin that they now bend on top of crappy battery life.

GSMArena who are normally quite pro apple, gave it a real slating in their comprehensive review.

I'll give you a small taste, you can read the whole thing below.

Quote:
This is Apple like we've never seen before. Apple like we never thought we'll see. To begin with, there's supposed to be no better iPhone than the iPhone 6. That's the sort of thing you'd expect of Apple. Come September every year, the world grabs a bag of popcorn and gets ready to watch Apple's bestest iPhone yet come on stage in all its glory.
That's what we did too, minus the popcorn, which by the way would've had nothing to do with the bitter aftertaste the presentation left. And no, we don't mean Apple's live streaming blunder.
Things actually started off nicely with the announcement of the long overdue screen size bump, and we didn't get a cheaper option this time - we were treated to possibly a bigger, better iPhone to go with the best iPhone to date. How Apple - it takes another iPhone to beat the iPhone.

Apple iPhone 6
It felt though like they're telling the audience, you don't have to go to the competition to do better. We never thought we'd see Apple do that - imply that. We missed the usual arrogance if you will. The kind that preached that screens bigger than 4" are a nonsense. The kind that insists on the retina resolution while the competition is at QHD.
Rounded corners? 8MP camera? NFC? This must be year 2012. Apple's not about cutting-edge hardware, but content and user experience. We've heard enough of that. And hey, it's a valid strategy. But this year even the most loyal iPhone users among us have a feeling they're being fed a feature a year with Apple withholding significant upgrades that would make the iPhone technologically superior, or equal to the flagships of the competition.
http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_6-review-1141.php

I think finally, the world is waking up to the fact that with Jobs gone Apple is just another overpriced, feature lagging hyped product, now there ARE better products out there, in short the kool-aid has worn off, and you know what? it's long overdue.

Oh yes, they also royally screwed up their IOS 8 update too to add insult to injury lol
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:11   #2409
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
Maybe at this point they'll concede that their phones are getting either too thin for the material used.. or that the phones are too thin period.

I have an enormous house brick sized thick phone (Sony Z3 compact) at 8.6mm and that feels too thin, it won't bend though as it's not made of tin foil I mean aluminium...

Apple are getting slated for their el crappo battery capacity now, with experts asking why the battery capacity is so low, in order to have phones so thin that they now bend on top of crappy battery life.

GSMArena who are normally quite pro apple, gave it a real slating in their comprehensive review.

I'll give you a small taste, you can read the whole thing below.

http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_6-review-1141.php

I think finally, the world is waking up to the fact that with Jobs gone Apple is just another overpriced, feature lagging hyped product, now there ARE better products out there, in short the kool-aid has worn off, and you know what? it's long overdue.

Oh yes, they also royally screwed up their IOS 8 update too to add insult to injury lol
The review still mostly praises the iPhone. Also the iPhone battery life is roughly in line with other flagships.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:52   #2410
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

Not really, it's still lagging a good 10hrs Endurance behind all the other (older) flagships)
My not sound like much, but considering they're all averaging 70 hrs, that's fairly marked.

All info available from here :

http://www.gsmarena.com/ Select your make & model from the sidebar, then go through the reviews.

S5: 72 hrs Endurance (Apr)
LG G3: 69 hrs Endurance (Jun)
HTC one M8: 71 hrs Endurance (Mar)

These are all from the Spring launches so slightly older tech...

-----

iPhone 6: 61 hrs Endurance (Sept)

Sony Z3: 85 hrs Endurance (Sept)
Sony Z3 Compact: 101 hrs Endurance (Sept) Equivalent sized screen, slightly smaller body due to more efficient use of bezels

The only one I'll give you as 'beating' is this.
Moto X 2014: 48 hrs Endurance (Sept)

So well done, you beat one flagship out of 6 (and 3 of those were last seasons tech)

go Apple!
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 13:22   #2411
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
iPhone 6: 61 hrs Endurance (Sept)

Sony Z3: 85 hrs Endurance (Sept)
Sony Z3 Compact: 101 hrs Endurance (Sept) Equivalent sized screen, slightly smaller body due to more efficient use of bezels

The only one I'll give you as 'beating' is this.
Moto X 2014: 48 hrs Endurance (Sept)

So well done, you beat one flagship out of 6 (and 3 of those were last seasons tech)

go Apple!
The Z3 does have phenomenal battery life but other than the Z3 there isn't a whole lot of difference between those flagships. Certainly not enough to warrant such criticism over the battery life. If you want bad battery life then take a look at my Nexus 5. That is problematic battery life. I would also point out the difference between Android and iOS in standby time. iOS has always been better than Android at stopping apps running amok when the phone isn't doing anything. These aren't things that are easy to test when you're spamming the device in the way these battery tests do.

The iPhone 6 hasn't got battery life to write home about but neither does it seem especially poor either. It's just average. The iPhone 6 Plus seems to have great battery life.

You could look at the performance table on that site and the iPhone outperforms almost all of those flagships: http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone...iew-1141p5.php

None of this matters too much to people anyway. People like the advice because of the look and feel of the hardware and software and if you like iOS then this seems like a solid upgrade. Especially when developers start making use of the additional features like handoff.

I never understand why people have just animosity for a product. You don't have to buy an iPhone but clearly there are a lot of people who whom this device is well suited. The reviews aren't slating Apple either despite your assertion that they are. The GSMArena one is cautiously positive, Ars Technica is mostly positive, AnandTech is also quite positive.

Overall the iPhone has been well received. Personally as an Android user and a former iPhone user I am always interested to see what Apple does. They always have nice feeling hardware and smooth software. iOS is still better than Android in terms of usage and UI as far as I am concerned and their hardware is often interesting, especially their dedicated chipsets. They've moved to 64 bit already and the gradual approach to this is interesting. As is stuff like Touch ID and Apple Pay.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 22:04   #2412
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

I'm sure this has been discusssed before but for those that dont know, if you are the owner of an iPhone 5, check to see if yours is part of the battery replacement program as there are a few with dodgy batteries. Mine is one of them.

https://www.apple.com/uk/support/iphone5-battery/

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote