Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Epson printer - won't print black?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

Epson printer - won't print black?

Old 30-01-2009, 12:05   #1
Pia
Inactive

Services: XL Phone XL BB V+ XL TV
Pia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny stars
Pia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Pia
Epson printer - won't print black?

My Epson printer doesn't get used much, but when i do use it i've never had any problems with it, especially using the compatible ink cartridges.

Today i'm trying to print some recipes and it's not printing black at all, it sounds and looks as though it's printing, but the paper comes out white.
The black ink cartridge is over half full, the 3 colour ones are almost completely full.

I've tried a nozzle clean check and tried re-inserting the black cartridge, but now it's saying the Cyan catridge is not compatible with the printer (it's worked fine until then) so won't continue to print any test pages or anything at all.

Very frusrating, especially now that it won't accept the cartridges at all. Any ideas on how to solve?
Pia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-01-2009, 12:28   #2
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star
Re: Epson printer - won't print black?

Have you tried powering down, and powering back up?
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 12:33   #3
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pia View Post
My Epson printer doesn't get used much, but when i do use it i've never had any problems with it, especially using the compatible ink cartridges.

Today i'm trying to print some recipes and it's not printing black at all, it sounds and looks as though it's printing, but the paper comes out white.
The black ink cartridge is over half full, the 3 colour ones are almost completely full.

I've tried a nozzle clean check and tried re-inserting the black cartridge, but now it's saying the Cyan catridge is not compatible with the printer (it's worked fine until then) so won't continue to print any test pages or anything at all.

Very frusrating, especially now that it won't accept the cartridges at all. Any ideas on how to solve?
Check and clean the electrical contacts on the printer and the ink cartrige. This was the problem on my old Epson, can apply to other ink jet printers, anther possibility is block ink catridge.
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 12:44   #4
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

I agree it sounds like a bad blockage, and cleaning the electrical contacts is also good advice if you're now getting compatibility warnings as well.

Sadly in my experience, however, once Epson printers reach a certain level of dirtiness it's virtually impossible to get them working properly again. I now have a lifetime resolution never to buy any Epson product ever again.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 13:12   #5
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pia View Post
My Epson printer doesn't get used much
That's possibly the problem. If the black inkjet has dried out it's going to be virtually impossible to clear. Some printers with removable printheads can be soaked in warm pure water but I don't think you have that option with the Epson.

For 'occasional' printing I now tend to recommend one of the cheap colour lasers as they don't suffer from this problem.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 13:13   #6
zing_deleted

http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml

try this . If your epson is supported you can just set it to clean the black
Old 30-01-2009, 17:44   #7
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb View Post

What a pity I cannot nominate this post..It really deserves recognition.
Old 30-01-2009, 18:04   #8
Dai
Inactive

Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
I think we all recognise the helpful folks anyway. It's icing on the cake, agreed but you don't have to be here long to see how many and how much is contributed.

With or without the official seal of nomination it remains a good place to hang out.
Old 30-01-2009, 22:36   #9
Pia
Inactive

Pia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny starsPia has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

The .link looks perfect for what i need, but it doesn't say it supports the DX4000

---------- Post added at 21:35 ---------- Previous post was at 21:34 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
Check and clean the electrical contacts on the printer and the ink cartrige. This was the problem on my old Epson, can apply to other ink jet printers, anther possibility is block ink catridge.
The ink cartridge doesn't seem blocked, i took it out and had a look and it seems normal.

How would i go about cleaning the electrical contacts?

---------- Post added at 21:36 ---------- Previous post was at 21:35 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiNasty View Post
That's possibly the problem. If the black inkjet has dried out it's going to be virtually impossible to clear.
To give an idea of how often i use it, i've had it for about 2.5 years, and i'm on my 4th set of cartridges. It was only about 2 weeks ago i last used it, and it worked perfectly then...
Old 30-01-2009, 22:42   #10
zing_deleted

have you tried it to see?

---------- Post added at 21:42 ---------- Previous post was at 21:41 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
I myself have posted this link before as have other people it has been recognised in the past as a lot of what is nominated nowadays has been and it is just a posted link afterall
Old 30-01-2009, 22:45   #11
Dai
Inactive

There are tricks with alcohol-based solvents that can sometimes work if the head is dried out.

There's a link here that talks about using a solvent pad to unblock the jets.

http://www.marrutt.com/inkjet-cleaning.php

You may be able to adapt the idea for your model of printer?
Old 30-01-2009, 22:55   #12
zing_deleted

might be worth going through the charging process as if you were changing carts. carefully remove the black and put it back again ( not always advised but ive done it without leeks) charge it up then goto paint and just make it black and try printing it
Old 30-01-2009, 23:43   #13
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

If the heads are blocked through none use (in other words the ink has dried blocking the tiny holes) then one way of unblocking them is to get a long & thin piece of rag (about 10 inches by 1/4 inch), dampen it (wet then squeeze until no more water drips out) lay this in the channel where the print head runs across the paper, move the heads to the middle of the platen and then grab both ends of the rag and gentle pull each end at a time to wipe the print heads... If done carefully it does work..

Another method is a damp sponge and with something platic (like a thick cable tie gently push it under the print heads (firstly move the heads to the middle) and leave overnight, then try normal cleans...

Both methods once you have the heads int eh middle please unplug the printer from the PC and 240V...

---------- Post added at 22:43 ---------- Previous post was at 22:42 ----------

Personally though I strip them down and use an ultrasonic bath to clean them...but I used to be a component level repair tech many, many moons ago...
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 23:43   #14
Pia
Inactive

Quote:
might be worth going through the charging process as if you were changing carts. carefully remove the black and put it back again ( not always advised but ive done it without leeks) charge it up then goto paint and just make it black and try printing it
I did this. That's when it told me the inks weren't compatible, so it won't let me do anything and i don't fancy buying a new set of inks to test
Old 30-01-2009, 23:48   #15
zing_deleted

so the inks that worked are now not recognised? I had thins just removed them replaced them and rebooted printer. I take it they are pattern parts