Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Would you prefer to have Sky Atlantic instead of BT Sport in Full House/XL?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Would you prefer to have Sky Atlantic instead of BT Sport in Full House/XL?
View Poll Results: Sky Atlantic v BT Sport.
Sky Atlantic. 20 23.81%
BT Sport. 56 66.67%
Not bothered either way 8 9.52%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18-10-2017, 20:30   #31
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Would you prefer to have Sky Atlantic instead of BT Sport in Full House/XL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
I've yet to meet anyone who cares about SA.

Aside from Game of Thrones, there isnt a single programme on it I watch.

It could cease broadcasting tomorrow and no tears would be shed here.
What did you think of Westworld? When it's repeated I might sub to Now TV for it as it's the only thing that caught my eye.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-10-2017, 20:38   #32
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
If VM were to use the money saved to meet Sky halfway or even pay the asking price and bring Sky Atlantic to the top package instead, would you prefer this?
This is Sky you are talking about.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 20:58   #33
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
A no brainer, very little on sky Atlantic that I watch, whereas there are loads of rugby and football on BT sports.

Also don't forget BT Sports has the uk rights for the coming Ashes series.

Your third option - not bothered should have been both. (If you're not bothered you won't bother to vote will you?)
Well, some people don't care about having either channel. Both would be nice as it would appease everybody, even those that don't care either way, but I suspect that this would push up bills even more at a time when people are getting fed up of the constant price increases. According to the news, inflation is rising, whilst wages are stagnating too, which will put pressure onto disposable income.

If VM take off BT Sport, offer nothing extra to replace it and don't decrease the price (very unlikely as it was marketed as 'free' and prices are already set to increase) I imagine that it would result in an increase in churn.

What VM could have done is say that BT Sport is being withdrawn from Full House, but that the TV part of the bill would be frozen this year.

How would people react to throwing in Premier Sports as a replacement? Maybe this is the reason why Freesports has not (yet?) been added as they're discussing this possibility with them??

---------- Post added at 18:49 ---------- Previous post was at 18:48 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
This is Sky you are talking about.
Aye, this is true MB.

---------- Post added at 18:58 ---------- Previous post was at 18:49 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
I detest sport, so was livid when VM decided we ALL wanted it and put up ALL our monthly bills.

It should have been an opt-in extra.

But Sky Atlantic? Nothing on there I'd like to watch. I'd rather have a lower bill.
A think that a lot of people feel the same way, but they are only able to offer it in Full House as non sports fans are indirectly subsidising sports fans.

It would be like putting Baby TV into Full House and forcing those without children having to pay a little extra every month!

Having said that, if throwing in BT Sport with the top package attracts/retains customers or encourages them to upgrade (which this, albeit not scientific, poll suggests it does), maybe the net result is extra sports channels at no extra cost to consumers when this extra revenue is taken into account (even if they never watch BT Sport)??

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 18-10-2017 at 21:02.
Old 19-10-2017, 12:49   #34
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

BT Sport is where the AFL (Aussie rules) is. I wouldn't pay extra for it. A season pass is £125. To me that's a lot just for one sport. I don't care for boxing (legalised assault).

I think there is content on BT Sport that isn't covered anywhere else without a fee and having some included sport channels is a good thing.

Content is a sensitive matter but like the license fee spreading the cost around is less per person than it would be to charge varying amounts. There will be some losers who are very focussed in their viewing but if you do watch a wider range of content but are not a die hard fan of any then a more general approach works better.
Old 19-10-2017, 12:56   #35
Pster72
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media Tivo VIP Package (Including Sky sports and Movies)
Pster72 is a jewel in the roughPster72 is a jewel in the roughPster72 is a jewel in the roughPster72 is a jewel in the roughPster72 is a jewel in the rough

It won’t happen unless they’ve got something big up there sleeve and Sky Atlantic by itself won’t be good enough
Pster72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 13:35   #36
nicknewark
Inactive

Services: V6 Tivo, Virgin BB, Freesat, NowTV. PS4 Pro
nicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation era

I did like True Detective, although the second series was rubbish, and The leftovers was great.

There is one thing about SA, it always draws a reaction. It may one day arrive on Virgin Media, but expect Sky to pull another rabbit out of the hat, with a new exclusive channel.
nicknewark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 13:58   #37
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

How about an option of No?
Old 19-10-2017, 15:46   #38
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Whatever happens with BT Sport I do not expect to have to pay any more to get what I currently have.

So split BT Sport out and charge £20pm for it and I expect my package to go down by £20 to reflect the real value of BT Sport not the fictional "free" crap.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 16:36   #39
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
How about an option of No?
Well, this is a hypothetical poll which assumes that the rumour that BT Sport is to be withdrawn from the Full House pack is true.

My interest is whether using some/all of the money saved to get Sky Atlantic (the last major channel missing VM) would appease people.

---------- Post added at 14:31 ---------- Previous post was at 14:28 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
BT Sport is where the AFL (Aussie rules) is. I wouldn't pay extra for it. A season pass is £125. To me that's a lot just for one sport. I don't care for boxing (legalised assault).

I think there is content on BT Sport that isn't covered anywhere else without a fee and having some included sport channels is a good thing.

Content is a sensitive matter but like the license fee spreading the cost around is less per person than it would be to charge varying amounts. There will be some losers who are very focussed in their viewing but if you do watch a wider range of content but are not a die hard fan of any then a more general approach works better.
Don't VM employees get TV for free anymore (only paying tax on the net worth of the free packages)?

---------- Post added at 14:36 ---------- Previous post was at 14:31 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknewark View Post
I did like True Detective, although the second series was rubbish, and The leftovers was great.

There is one thing about SA, it always draws a reaction. It may one day arrive on Virgin Media, but expect Sky to pull another rabbit out of the hat, with a new exclusive channel.
100% agree.

Maybe their USP will be to offer more 4K and deny it to VM after making SA available.

Having said that, I was recently reading that 4K hasn't been as successful as was originally assumed. Apparently, there are still many people who, despite having HD sets, still go from the beginning of the EPG's and don't bother with the HD variants!
Old 19-10-2017, 16:38   #40
jj20x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Whatever happens with BT Sport I do not expect to have to pay any more to get what I currently have.

So split BT Sport out and charge £20pm for it and I expect my package to go down by £20 to reflect the real value of BT Sport not the fictional "free" crap.
But the £20 would be the price charged to a limited number of subscribers to a premium package, not the price subsidised by all XL pack viewers, whether they are interested in the content or not.

Last edited by jj20x; 19-10-2017 at 17:26.
Old 19-10-2017, 17:27   #41
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Don't VM employees get TV for free anymore (only paying tax on the net worth of the free packages)?
They never have done. There is a staff discount, but it's not free.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 22:40   #42
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
They never have done. There is a staff discount, but it's not free.
Oh right! I was wondering why it would matter to tweetiepooh if BT Sport left Full House as it would have still been free anyway as a standalone package, but unfortunately this wouldn't be the case.
Old 20-10-2017, 04:45   #43
bubblegun
cf.addict

Services: Virgin TV 360 Virgin 500Mb FTTP -AX86+AC86U AIMesh - O2 Mobile
bubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nice
I'd love this to be true but I doubt it.
Liberty Global and BT are just embarking on the same type of negotiation that Discovery tried with Sky previously. One will back down and the status-quo will probably continue.

I have in the past speculated that BT would eventually make BT Sports unaffordable, for Virgin to include in their competitive packages. This could be an early step into that new future, but I don't expect it yet.

BT Fibre covers a lot of the areas where there is also Virgin BB so they may get brave and try this in the future. Eventually.
bubblegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 08:38   #44
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
I'd love this to be true but I doubt it.
Liberty Global and BT are just embarking on the same type of negotiation that Discovery tried with Sky previously. One will back down and the status-quo will probably continue.

I have in the past speculated that BT would eventually make BT Sports unaffordable, for Virgin to include in their competitive packages. This could be an early step into that new future, but I don't expect it yet.

BT Fibre covers a lot of the areas where there is also Virgin BB so they may get brave and try this in the future. Eventually.
Well, if BT decide that they will abandon the wholesale deal, maybe it won't matter because other global players could take over these matches! One possible scenario is that Amazon dips its toe into the water by going for the smaller package before deciding whether to take on Sky. We are on the cusp of the market opening up, which will ultimately bring those lower prices people are looking for.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 11:18   #45
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads

BT Sport for me, I get Atlantic for as little as £3-4 a month through NowTV. If BT went standalone I'm sure it'll be an absolute fortune in comparison.

The poll is effectively asking are you a sports fan or TV show fan. You'll always get a mixed response
Joedm45 is offline   Reply With Quote