Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Ofcom demand more of the BBC

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Ofcom demand more of the BBC

Old 13-10-2017, 12:48   #1
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Ofcom demand more of the BBC

Well, at last, the BBC is being required to up its game, with more home grown original programming. I have always thought it strange that so many US programmes are featured on the BBC channels, given its public broadcasting remit.

I am not sure that they have done the right thing in requiring Radios 1 and 2 to have so much news content, though. I don't think that's what most listeners want when they tune in to a music station.

I think they would have been far better requiring that news bulletins before 8pm were tailored to be suitable for children to hear. When the news comes on in my car, I have to turn the volume down so my grandsons can't hear it - such a lot of unsuitable stuff that upsets them.

Overall, though, this is good news.

http://advanced-television.com/2017/...de-programmes/
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-10-2017, 19:12   #2
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Ofcom demand more of the BBC

I broadly agree, but I suppose the reason for showing imports is because of the BBC funding situation.

I wonder where they'll get the money from to implement these changes? I do hope that BBC4 isn't closed.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 19:46   #3
DVD Cinema
cf.addict

DVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about them

BBC Four could go the same way as Three to save money may be.

BBC 4K is launching, hopefully, on iPlayer to save money i assume, or bandwidth.
DVD Cinema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 20:01   #4
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

The BBC have pots of money. The trick is to channel that money into the right areas of the corporation and not to waste it.
Old 13-10-2017, 22:14   #5
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
The BBC have pots of money. The trick is to channel that money into the right areas of the corporation and not to waste it.
Yes, they need to stop paying newsreaders a fortune 24/7 - why do you need 2 people sat on a sofa? Why do you need to send people all over the world to report news? When the World Cup comes round, why do you need to send loads of people to sit in a studio in Russia and talk a load of c**p when they could do that from a studio in UK - or better still do without them altogether.

I know it was ITV but same applies,
Can anyone tell me what relevance there was having Ryan Giggs on the last 2
England games - he chose to be Welsh years ago - we don't owe him a living.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 23:39   #6
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Yes, they need to stop paying newsreaders a fortune 24/7 - why do you need 2 people sat on a sofa? Why do you need to send people all over the world to report news? When the World Cup comes round, why do you need to send loads of people to sit in a studio in Russia and talk a load of c**p when they could do that from a studio in UK - or better still do without them altogether.

I know it was ITV but same applies,
Can anyone tell me what relevance there was having Ryan Giggs on the last 2
England games - he chose to be Welsh years ago - we don't owe him a living.
Did you read about how many reporters the BBC sent to cover that trapped miners story a couple of years ago? The BBC have plenty of money they could recirect into the production of original programming.

They may plead poverty, but the budget they have to play with is the envy of the commercial broadcasters.
Old 14-10-2017, 00:58   #7
jj20x

Quote:
They may plead poverty, but the budget they have to play with is the envy of the commercial broadcasters.
"Qu'ils mangent de la brioche"
Old 14-10-2017, 03:23   #8
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj20x View Post
"Qu'ils mangent de la brioche"
Could you speak English, please? Or could you shout louder so we can understand?

You may need to use capiitals...!
Old 14-10-2017, 04:21   #9
jj20x

Quote:
Could you speak English, please? Or could you shout louder so we can understand?

You may need to use capiitals...!
The quote translates as "let them eat cake". Saying it louder shouldn't make it any easier to understand.
Old 16-10-2017, 13:43   #10
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

I was reminded in stumbling across this item when we were going to see big improvements to the BBC i-Player. When they've set up their new site, I very much hope they expand the content available on there. I see no reason why they couldn't upload much of their archives onto the site. They must have a considerable amount of material that is doing nothing, collecting dust.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...proofing-plans

I hope that the BBC deal with UKTV doesn't prevent them from doing this.
Old 16-10-2017, 14:49   #11
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj20x View Post
The quote translates as "let them eat cake". Saying it louder shouldn't make it any easier to understand.
That never works when i'm abroad either!
johnathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 15:35   #12
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
I was reminded in stumbling across this item when we were going to see big improvements to the BBC i-Player. When they've set up their new site, I very much hope they expand the content available on there. I see no reason why they couldn't upload much of their archives onto the site. They must have a considerable amount of material that is doing nothing, collecting dust.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...proofing-plans

I hope that the BBC deal with UKTV doesn't prevent them from doing this.
An interesting article. It says that iPlayer users will soon be required to sign in, I wonder if this is to catch TVL evaders??

Wonder if this will affect TiVo/V6 users as VM have our details anyway and it's in their t&C's that customers must have a TVL.

There's been some archive programming added to the iPlayer too.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 23:31   #13
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
An interesting article. It says that iPlayer users will soon be required to sign in, I wonder if this is to catch TVL evaders??

Wonder if this will affect TiVo/V6 users as VM have our details anyway and it's in their t&C's that customers must have a TVL.

There's been some archive programming added to the iPlayer too.
Yes, but this barely scratches the surface of all the material they are hiding away.