Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Samsung Galaxy S3

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Samsung Galaxy S3

Old 04-05-2012, 10:34   #16
tizmeinnit

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3

Its plastic again so much for the ceramic rumour. Its only an 8 meg camera rumours had it at 12 meg. 1 gig ram rumours had it at 2. Always going to be Quad core although this is a total waste of time you will run out of ram before you utilise all 4 cores. Touchwiz again even though rumors had a no skin option but no ( I know you can install launchers so no biggie I guess) No Amoled plus display only what they tout as HD

The rumoured device is much better than the actual device this is more like a Nexus 2 skinned not impressed at all . the Galaxy II flies if you have one there is no need to upgrade IMO and chances are there will be a Galaxy IV in 12 to 18 months

---------- Post added at 10:34 ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 ----------

thing is also you can get the SGSII for a steal now on contracts so that might be a money saving option
Advertisement
Old 04-05-2012, 12:02   #17
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizmeinnit View Post
Its plastic again so much for the ceramic rumour. Its only an 8 meg camera rumours had it at 12 meg. 1 gig ram rumours had it at 2. Always going to be Quad core although this is a total waste of time you will run out of ram before you utilise all 4 cores. Touchwiz again even though rumors had a no skin option but no ( I know you can install launchers so no biggie I guess) No Amoled plus display only what they tout as HD

The rumoured device is much better than the actual device this is more like a Nexus 2 skinned not impressed at all . the Galaxy II flies if you have one there is no need to upgrade IMO and chances are there will be a Galaxy IV in 12 to 18 months

---------- Post added at 10:34 ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 ----------

thing is also you can get the SGSII for a steal now on contracts so that might be a money saving option
It is HD Super AMOLED Screen
nstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:36   #18
tizmeinnit

where did you get this info?Because the Super AMOLED PLUS is a Samsung design so if they were using that then they would just call it that wouldn't they? they are calling this something else that does not make sense. It does not mean its not the case just why 2 different names?

---------- Post added at 12:36 ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 ----------

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/03/g...-super-amoled/ here you go I am correct

Quote:
By now you should already know that the brand-spanking-new Samsung Galaxy S III sports a 4.8-inch HD Super AMOLED display. That's right: no "plus" here, which means this 720p panel is featuring the same old PenTile RBGB pixel arrangement
Old 04-05-2012, 12:46   #19
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze

Quote:
where did you get this info?Because the Super AMOLED PLUS is a Samsung design so if they were using that then they would just call it that wouldn't they? they are calling this something else that does not make sense. It does not mean its not the case just why 2 different names?

---------- Post added at 12:36 ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 ----------

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/03/g...-super-amoled/ here you go I am correct
I mis read what you put, my bad
nstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 18:27   #20
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Well I ordered one from carphone warehouse last night as the first 1000 orders got a free galaxy tab 10.1 and they still had some going this morning.

However at 10.30 this morning I got an email to say my order was cancelled but no explanation why!! Raging!

Have the GS2 but the S3 looks amazing.

---------- Post added at 18:27 ---------- Previous post was at 18:25 ----------

Quote:

---------- Post added at 10:34 ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 ----------That is why you should always ignore rumours and wait for the facts. Phone specs and screen are pretty amazing.

Old 04-05-2012, 19:39   #21
tizmeinnit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Well I ordered one from carphone warehouse last night as the first 1000 orders got a free galaxy tab 10.1 and they still had some going this morning.

However at 10.30 this morning I got an email to say my order was cancelled but no explanation why!! Raging!

---------- Post added at 18:27 ---------- Previous post was at 18:25 ----------

Yeah it does look good but for me its not good enough to sign a 2 year contract on. I have had quite a few Android Phones now and they all pretty much do the same thing. Some faster than others some with a nicer screen than others some bigger some smaller etc but once you get one running smooth the next one is pretty pointless as it does the same things but looks different.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:18   #22
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Bit disappointing really. They haven't 'pushed' it much beyond what was there already. There is no standout 'wow' factor, even the design apes the Galaxy Nexus. Might have expected too much...
I agree, it's certainly not class leading in as many ways as the Galaxy S2 was. In fact the only thing class leading about it is the battery capacity.

I've still got one on preorder anyway, mainly because I get a free £400 tablet with it.

---------- Post added at 04:18 ---------- Previous post was at 04:11 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by clumsymum View Post
I do lust after a Note (not enough to shell out more money tho'), but I recognise that as a mere woman, I do have the advantage of carrying a bag around with most of the time to carry it in. In fact, the larger format is an advantage. It doesn't get lost in the bottom of my bag, so I can actually find it to answer before calls get transferred to voicemail.
I'm a fairly short guy with small clothes and small pockets. Even then, the the 4.3" display Galaxy S2 fits into the smallest coin pocket I have perfectly fine.

Though I admit having thought 4.3" might be too big when I first got it, it ended up nothing of the sort. Fit into every pocket far more easily than the 3.7" HTC I had before it. I highly doubt the additional 4.5mm width of the S3 is going to make the slightest bit of difference.

That said since you women "cheat" with your handbags, it might even be feasible to get a 7" tablet with a mobile connection.

Quote:

Bad luck, I got a free tablet but wasn't told until about 7pm this evening.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:29   #23
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

I ordered it at about 10pm on Thursday, still totally gutted they canceled and wont tell me why or even tried to call to sort it out first.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:06   #24
tizmeinnit

I must say it would have been worth the upgrade to get the free tablet fair play gas for bagging one
Old 05-05-2012, 10:07   #25
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I must say it would have been worth the upgrade to get the free tablet fair play gas for bagging one
Yup..I might have been tempted..if i was guaranteed one too
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:20   #26
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
I ordered it at about 10pm on Thursday, still totally gutted they canceled and wont tell me why or even tried to call to sort it out first.
That's unfortunate. It's happened to me before, as often these things depend on network credit checks and what not - usually the retailer would blame the network. I've been rejected by networks without explanation even with a perfectly decent credit rating, yet accepted by the same network previously when I had no credit rating at all.

---------- Post added at 11:20 ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin25 View Post
Yup..I might have been tempted..if i was guaranteed one too
Wasn't guaranteed, but since the phone wasn't going to be shipped for over 3 weeks, you'd basically have a full month to cancel under the distance selling regulations if you didn't get the tablet - so no real risk. I myself was planning on cancelling if I didn't get the tab, since I could have got the same deal for about £100 less elsewhere.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:23   #27
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Cpw said it wasn't a credit check issue but wouldn't actually tell me the reason.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:19   #28
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

I really want one, I'll get one next year when my contract is over, the s2 is still amazing
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 19:45   #29
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

An excellent phone, but is it wise to jump from the S2 or the Note into an 18/24 month contract? I don't think so.

Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 21:55   #30
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

I personally wouldn't have - but I have two contract upgrades this month and had to do something with them (got my S2 on a 12-month contract last year). As mentioned, I think the S3 is a lot more incremental upgrade than the S2 was, and not really any single compelling reason to get one if you already have an S2.

If you're on an S1 or other device of the same generation, then of course the difference will be much much bigger.