Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Odd Calls and Police Advice

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

Nuisance calls!

Old 31-08-2011, 17:11   #1
Daz/Teeside
Inactive

Daz/Teeside is on a distinguished roadDaz/Teeside is on a distinguished road
Nuisance calls!

Hi for the last 18mths I have been plagued with nuisance/cold calls. They always as for the same person(s) Mr Ward or a Miss Lisa Ward, neither of which have ever lived at my address?
I have registered with TPS and tried the nice polite approach but still get approx 6 calls a week, that is considerably less than a few months ago but still very annoying.
I have now resorted to blasting an air horn down the phone at them which is amusing but sometimes the call is after 9pm and disturbs the rest of the household.
Any ideas how I can stop these ignorant people from ringing my number?

Thanks.
Daz/Teeside is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 31-08-2011, 17:55   #2
jtaylor06
Inactive

Services: 100Mb BB with SuperHub 2 Galaxy S 5 on EE
jtaylor06 has reached the bronze age
jtaylor06 has reached the bronze agejtaylor06 has reached the bronze agejtaylor06 has reached the bronze agejtaylor06 has reached the bronze age
Re: Nuisance calls!

Hi Daz

Did you manage to take the number?
And have they mentioned anything about TVs?

Thanks
Jordan
jtaylor06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 18:46   #3
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

I had a similar situation after NTL gave me the number of a debtor they cut off.

It took ages to convince the callers that I am in no way connected with the debtor who lived the other side of the city.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 19:58   #4
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Sounds like debt collection agencies.. Have you tried talking and explaining the situation to them instead of just saying "that person doesn't live here" just that most once they believe you will stop calling.
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:32   #5
Daz/Teeside
Inactive

First of all I have just realised I posted this in mobile phone and not landline....DOH!

jtaylor06 yes asked what make my tv was???? with held number!

kymmy yes I have tried every approach posiible but as soon as you engage in conversation they just talk over the top and won't listen.

It's not always the same nationality anything from English, Indian to Chinese and all with hold their numbers.

Like I said this has gone on for coming up 2yrs so believe me when I say I have tried every approach, I have.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:49   #6
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age

I'm plagued by international calls too - even though I am signed up on Telephone Preference service. And it's ALWAYS just as you are sitting down for a meal.

I even had an unsolicited sales call on my second number which is, and always has been ex-directory.
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:52   #7
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Marketing surveys are not covered by the TPS.
TPS FAQs
Quote:
Will registering on the TPS stop market research calls?
No, market research calls are not covered in the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003 therefore companies conducting these types of calls are still allowed to call a TPS registered number. If you do not want to receive such calls, inform the caller to remove your details from their call lists.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:55   #8
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Marketing surveys are not covered by the TPS.
TPS FAQs
Nor regretfully do they cover calls from the Indian sub-continent which are no even marketing surveys.
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:01   #9
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Thread now moved to the landline section (please just PM any member of the team in future for such a request)
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:16   #10
Daz/Teeside
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Thread now moved to the landline section (please just PM any member of the team in future for such a request)

Thanks thought I was doing the correct thing and not bothering the team.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:27   #11
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Below are a couple of routes you can pursue.

Privacy and Electronic Communications – when and how to complain

Silent Call Guard

Get rid of all sorts of unwelcome caller quickly and politely!
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:41   #12
AndyCalling
Inactive

Services: Fixed phone service (inclusive weekend calls) & internet service (200/12meg)
AndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud ofAndyCalling has much to be proud of

Another point, the air horn won't work as you would like. The phone at the other end is not going to suddenly turn into a nightclub speaker system and deafen them. It will remain a phone with the same amp and speaker as before, and will remain the same volume. Just put the phone down or talk to them. Or report them to TPS. If they are UK based they can be fined (though I believe it is rare for a company to actually get fined, they will probably back down once TPS get involved). You might try warning them that you will report them if they call again, first, that may be enough.
AndyCalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 14:14   #13
Wild Oscar
cf.addict

Wild Oscar is on a distinguished roadWild Oscar is on a distinguished road

Easiest way to deal with these people is use an answerphone!

They'll soon stop pestering you ... works for me anyway!
Wild Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 14:40   #14
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Oscar View Post
Easiest way to deal with these people is use an answerphone!

They'll soon stop pestering you ... works for me anyway!
Yeah, screen your calls. They soon get bored

the alternative would be a free number change from VM.
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 15:48   #15
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Combine it with caller ID. Then you can chose to pick up the call or let the answerphone take it. Not sure if they do now but BT used to give you free caller ID if you registered with TPS through their site. Works even if you're already registered.
The trouble with this is that too many people who call us withold their ID and if we dont answer the call they dont leave a message and I cant train my wife to ignore calls

If she did then they would soon learn either to leave a message or not withhold their number. I am seroiysly thining of truecall or something like it.
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote