Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Apple iPad Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

The Apple iPad Thread

Old 28-01-2010, 14:04   #46
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
re: The Apple iPad Thread

I just want to browse the internet on the thing *drolls*. Really hope newspapers and magazines adopt it as well.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-01-2010, 14:30   #47
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

I like Stephen Fry's take on it.

Quote:
I have heard these voices before. In June 2007 when the iPhone was launched I collected a long list of “not impressed”, “meh”, “big deal”, “style over substance”, “it’s all hype”, “my HTC TyTN can do more”, “what a disappointment”, “majorly underwhelmed” and similar reactions.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 14:53   #48
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek S View Post
He is good. And right. Whilst its really off the mark of what people wanted (like with the iPhone 2G) people will still gravitate towards it. And its a whole new device for people to loiter around Starbucks with.

I really want this though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFQWc79TYcU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmIgNfp-MdI
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 16:03   #49
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek S View Post
I remember being very impressed with the iphone, but then the iphone hadn't been hyped up for a year based on nothing but hear-say.

The hype had me expecting apple to pull radical new ideas and apps out for this thing, but alas no.

The hype was definitely wrong and I don't think this will be as successful as the iphone.
Old 28-01-2010, 16:11   #50
Horace
©Beam Software

Services: BB (200mbit), 1x V6, iPad, iPhone
Horace has disabled reputation

It'll sell, they have millions of iDroolers with their iMoney waiting to buy anything they release. Apple could release a polished iTurd and it would still sell by the bucket-load.
Horace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 16:45   #51
ZrByte
Inactive

ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to ZrByte

I'm not an apple fan in the slightest, infact the only apple product I have is an Ipod Nano 5th gen.
However when I saw this and its price which I thought was reasonable at first I was very tempted. That is until I realised it is basically running the Iphone OS. I just don't understand it, surely the hardware is up to running a cut down OSX? I have to say though even after finding out what OS it is running I would be very tempted if it was just a bit cheaper. I have used older tablet PCs to do exactly what the iPad is designed for, and though they got the job done there was something seriously lacking in the interface. And lets face interfaces are what apple do best.
Though after seeing punkys link, I think the courier is a much better idea, especially if the two screens work together to make one big screen when needed (two displays is cool but sometimes one bigger screen is better).
ZrByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 16:48   #52
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Ahhh.... all of a sudden I am interested but maybe for a slightly unusual reason. Naysayers say nay but with the right apps: as a touch screen midi control surface for musicians it's cheaper than a Lemur.
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 16:53   #53
Horace
©Beam Software

Services: BB (200mbit), 1x V6, iPad, iPhone
Horace has disabled reputation

Just saw this :
Horace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 17:15   #54
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
Ahhh.... all of a sudden I am interested but maybe for a slightly unusual reason. Naysayers say nay but with the right apps: as a touch screen midi control surface for musicians it's cheaper than a Lemur.
This is what I think as well. They have effectively made a nice touch-screen computer for developers to go crazy for. More than the iPhone applications will define this device.

I really want a Guardian App* that is like the New York Times one, in otherwords it displays as it would in print. (which is often better than they can do on the web, for displaying information anyway) and also brings in video. Imagine flicking though a paper like normal but videos are embedded in it. Nice.

*Naturally to view while drinking my latte.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 17:31   #55
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZrByte View Post
I'm not an apple fan in the slightest, infact the only apple product I have is an Ipod Nano 5th gen.
However when I saw this and its price which I thought was reasonable at first I was very tempted. That is until I realised it is basically running the Iphone OS. I just don't understand it, surely the hardware is up to running a cut down OSX? I have to say though even after finding out what OS it is running I would be very tempted if it was just a bit cheaper. I have used older tablet PCs to do exactly what the iPad is designed for, and though they got the job done there was something seriously lacking in the interface. And lets face interfaces are what apple do best.
Though after seeing punkys link, I think the courier is a much better idea, especially if the two screens work together to make one big screen when needed (two displays is cool but sometimes one bigger screen is better).
The iPhone OS is a cut down OSX..

As for the courier, it might be an idea to wait for actual hardware. Microsoft demonstrate a *lot* of advanced and rather nifty looking systems that then don't make it into an actual product.

If you can find them, look at Microsoft's original videos of what they planned for "Longhorn" (the OS released under the name "Vista"). They had planned a far more revolutionary redesign of the interface (one that would have enforced the idea of working with documents and not applications to the point where it would have been difficult to see what app you are using) than the one they developed.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 18:07   #56
Bluffdemon
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media Phone and 50Mb BB , Tivo \m/
Bluffdemon is a jewel in the roughBluffdemon is a jewel in the roughBluffdemon is a jewel in the roughBluffdemon is a jewel in the roughBluffdemon is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace View Post
Just saw this :

thats so funny yet so true !
Bluffdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 18:35   #57
ZrByte
Inactive

ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to ZrByte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C View Post
The iPhone OS is a cut down OSX..

As for the courier, it might be an idea to wait for actual hardware. Microsoft demonstrate a *lot* of advanced and rather nifty looking systems that then don't make it into an actual product.

If you can find them, look at Microsoft's original videos of what they planned for "Longhorn" (the OS released under the name "Vista"). They had planned a far more revolutionary redesign of the interface (one that would have enforced the idea of working with documents and not applications to the point where it would have been difficult to see what app you are using) than the one they developed.
Yes but isnt the iphone OS so heavily cut down cmopared to OSX Its like comparing windows mobile 5 to windows 7. I meant more like the slightly cut down tablet editions and netbook editions of windows and some linux distros.
And yes I do agree about microsoft, I'm still waiting for the windows desktop thingy to become standard hardware, I think they predicted a 2010/2011 release and from what I hear that's nowhere near likely (Though It was nice to see it have a cameo in Quantum of Solace).
ZrByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 18:56   #58
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Some interesting analysis in the Herald today (print only, I'm afraid) - asking whether this can replace a laptop, and observing that for those who use a laptop to sit on the sofa and consume content, most definitely yes, but for those who use a laptop to create content, probably not.

I can just see my mother-in-law with one of these. She loves her iPhone and her iPod*, and only has a laptop for email and browsing web forums.

*Yes, she has both, an iPhone 3GS and a brand new iPod classic. And no, I've not got to the bottom of why yet.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 19:02   #59
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

I wonder what the accesibility is like. If it has a decent zoom and screen reader I'll be happy I do like the look of the mac zoom and screen reader.

---------- Post added at 18:02 ---------- Previous post was at 18:00 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
*Yes, she has both, an iPhone 3GS and a brand new iPod classic. And no, I've not got to the bottom of why yet.
My dad has an iPhone and an iPod touch - go figure
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 21:29   #60
Lew
Inactive

Services: VIP50, TiVo
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
That was my thought as well. There are some good iPhone/iPod Touch apps that are geared towards using the device as a peripheral connected to a computer (there's a nice one that lets you use it for controlling Cubase, and then there's TouchOSC that gives you controls for any MIDI device). With the extra resolution on the iPad I could see it being a nice addition to Logic/Garageband for such things as controlling the mixer for example. It could also be nice for digital DJ software such as Traktor or VirtualDJ.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote