Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | CF: Clickers Corner

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology

is 3 uk network any good? thinking of getting an iphone 5

Old 17-09-2012, 17:41   #1
wakkaday
cf.addict

wakkaday is an unknown quantity at this point
is 3 uk network any good? thinking of getting an iphone 5

they have the best deal.

im with orange and t-mobile.
orange upgrade is pathetic as i might aswell get a new contract...

so i am thinking of 3 network

i knew a few years ago people said their signal was poor etc, is this still the case?
wakkaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-09-2012, 17:51   #2
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura
Re: is 3 uk network any good? thinking of getting an iphone 5

Yes, if you're in one of the areas where their signal is poor. If you're lucky to live in one of the areas with a good signal then you're in luck.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 20:07   #3
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

My contract is up in a month or two, and I'm seriously considering ditching O2 for Three.

Easily the best deal for a pay monthly iPhone 5 compared to the other networks. Also the chance of LTE in a year when Three starts using the spectrum it bought from EE.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 20:26   #4
paulsouth

Services: sky+hd 1TB freeview virgin bb 30mbps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
My contract is up in a month or two, and I'm seriously considering ditching O2 for Three.

Easily the best deal for a pay monthly iPhone 5 compared to the other networks. Also the chance of LTE in a year when Three starts using the spectrum it bought from EE.
to be honest depends where u are?
where i live its bloddy fast.. infact its quicker than virgin media..
Old 17-09-2012, 20:53   #5
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsouth View Post
Now that doesn't surprise me coming from you.

Cheers

Grim
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 22:32   #6
wakkaday
cf.addict

wakkaday is an unknown quantity at this point

im disapointed with the upgrade offers for iphone5. you may aswell get a new contract..
wakkaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 22:34   #7
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

You don't have to go to Orange to upgrade.
I usually just peruse the carphone warehouse website for a cheap deal, plus their handsets come unbranded unlike with Orange, with their Orange branding all over them

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 22:41   #8
DJSADERS
Ex - McNicholas Guildford

Services: Sky Q 1TB, 2 x Sky Q Minis, Virgin Media Business Voom Fibre 2
DJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to DJSADERS

i use three with the Samsung Galaxy SII and i think it's good, never really had any signal problems
DJSADERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 23:18   #9
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

If you're on Orange already you'd have to be pretty desperate to save money to move to 3.

Most likely threatening to leave will get you a better deal out of your current network.

As for 3 - there's absolutely no advantage to their network these days (they lost most of that with the T-Mobile merger). Coverage you'll be better on EE, capacity you'll be better on EE, reliability you'll be better on EE, and not to mention the iPhone 5 will (supposedly) not work on 4G on any network other EE anytime soon and will only ever work if they turn off parts of their 2G or 3G networks.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 00:36   #10
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

I have mobile broadband with Three and get great signal everywhere. Speeds are great too.

Years ago when they first launched their coverage wasn't good but its really good these days.
Old 18-09-2012, 01:14   #11
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsouth View Post
Cambridge. The Three postcode checker alleges I'll have a great signal at home and work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakkaday View Post
im disapointed with the upgrade offers for iphone5. you may aswell get a new contract..
I don't think upgrade offers have ever been great for the iPhone... Or even what you could call "offers".

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0id View Post
You don't have to go to Orange to upgrade.
I usually just peruse the carphone warehouse website for a cheap deal, plus their handsets come unbranded unlike with Orange, with their Orange branding all over them
No branding issues with the iPhone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
If you're on Orange already you'd have to be pretty desperate to save money to move to 3.

Most likely threatening to leave will get you a better deal out of your current network.

As for 3 - there's absolutely no advantage to their network these days (they lost most of that with the T-Mobile merger). Coverage you'll be better on EE, capacity you'll be better on EE, reliability you'll be better on EE, and not to mention the iPhone 5 will (supposedly) not work on 4G on any network other EE anytime soon and will only ever work if they turn off parts of their 2G or 3G networks.
No supposedly about it.

The iPhone 5 supports LTE bands 1, 3 and 5.

EE will be using band 3 (1800MHz). Three will eventually be able to use it, as it bought some of EE's spectrum, but not until September 2013.

The bands being auctioned by Ofcom for LTE are not 1, 3, or 5. No matter what O2 and the rest end up with, the iPhone 5's LTE won't support it.

If/when Ofcom ever allows band 1 (2.1GHz) to be re-farmed for LTE we'll probably be on the iPhone 7S... by then there'd hopefully be wider LTE support anyway!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19586067
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 14:54   #12
wwe
cf.mega poster

Services: Telewest Phone Telewest BroadBand Telewest Digital Tv v+ HD
wwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpack

I've been with 3 for nearly 10 years never had an problem with the signal or any thing else
wwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 21:00   #13
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age

I had an iPhone 3S with Orange and when the contract was up, tried to negotiate a price so the down payment was the same as Three offered. I was told to go to Three (in as many words).
Three offered unlimited downloads and tethering is no additional fee. Useful when the broadband connection fails and you can still work from home albeit reduced capacity!
So apart from just about double minutes and unlimited downloads for the same monthly price, the downpayment was less than half price of Orange.

Network - I've actually found that Three were better around my area (and on the train journey to London) where Virgin Mobile and Orange always had a black spot.
I'll probably stay with Three when this contract is up.
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 01:09   #14
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
No supposedly about it.

The iPhone 5 supports LTE bands 1, 3 and 5.

EE will be using band 3 (1800MHz). Three will eventually be able to use it, as it bought some of EE's spectrum, but not until September 2013.

The bands being auctioned by Ofcom for LTE are not 1, 3, or 5. No matter what O2 and the rest end up with, the iPhone 5's LTE won't support it.

If/when Ofcom ever allows band 1 (2.1GHz) to be re-farmed for LTE we'll probably be on the iPhone 7S... by then there'd hopefully be wider LTE support anyway!
Not entirely true. O2 and Vodafone also own 1800Mhz (band 3) spectrum and could use it for LTE if they wanted to, same goes for 2.1Ghz (band 1). It took barely a year for the 900/1800 LTE refarming to get approved, I suspect any attempt to get 2.1Ghz approved will be even faster given that every network owns spectrum in the band.

As for the phone itself, there are already variants that support LTE on bands 4, 9, 13, 17, and 15, and in the US it's pretty much standard for manufacturers to make phones specifically tailored to each individual provider's frequencies - nothing to stop them doing that in Europe as well.

But in any case none of this is going to be happening particularly soon.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 00:53   #15
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Matthew has reached the bronze age
Matthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze age

From a data view 3 are great, never used for voice.

I find Orange to be best priced for myself or a phone contract.