Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Samsung SIII VS NEXUS 4 ??

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Samsung SIII VS NEXUS 4 ??

Old 29-03-2013, 13:08   #1
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week
Samsung SIII VS NEXUS 4 ??

New phone time from virgin so which do i choose ?

The SIII is £49 or £19 with all packages and the Nexus is free ,both have similar specs but the Nexus has a more updated Android version so at the moment i'm leaning towards the Nexus but may be able to get the SIII handset free with the loyalty discounts i have

So which should i go for ?
Advertisement
Old 29-03-2013, 13:35   #2
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
Re: Samsung SIII VS NEXUS 4 ??

Nexus 4..if you like vanilla operating system..and regular updates to latest system

I have it..and like it lots
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 13:52   #3
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin25 View Post
Nexus 4..if you like vanilla operating system..and regular updates to latest system

I have it..and like it lots
haven't used any android phone before so not really sure what to look for.

Thought vanilla was a type of ice cream
Old 29-03-2013, 14:27   #4
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

the s3 can take sd cards. virgin is getting the s4 from launch
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 14:39   #5
martyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
the s3 can take sd cards. virgin is getting the s4 from launch
will i need an sd card there seems to be plenty of storage on board
Old 29-03-2013, 14:57   #6
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
haven't used any android phone before so not really sure what to look for.

Thought vanilla was a type of ice cream
so is chocolate

I mean you don't get all the crap from telephone makers and providers on the system
Old 29-03-2013, 15:22   #7
martyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin25 View Post
so is chocolate

I mean you don't get all the crap from telephone makers and providers on the system
Do you find you have enough storage without the sd card
Old 29-03-2013, 15:35   #8
oliver1948uk
cf.geek

Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
oliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quads

Why not get a Nexus 4 from Google Play for 249 pounds (or 30 pounds more for extra memory) and get a VM sim card on a 30 day contract priced from 5 pounds per month? When I ordered a Nexus 4 it arrived the next day. My lad has hammered it 18 hours a day and it has stood up to it well. Battery lasts much better than previous HTCs
oliver1948uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 15:47   #9
colin25
Inactive

Quote:
Do you find you have enough storage without the sd card
Yes, though I don't play music much
Old 29-03-2013, 15:48   #10
martyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1948uk View Post
Why not get a Nexus 4 from Google Play for 249 pounds (or 30 pounds more for extra memory) and get a VM sim card on a 30 day contract priced from 5 pounds per month? When I ordered a Nexus 4 it arrived the next day. My lad has hammered it 18 hours a day and it has stood up to it well. Battery lasts much better than previous HTCs
that would be an option if i had £249 to spend
Old 29-03-2013, 15:51   #11
colin25
Inactive

Quote:
that would be an option if i had £249 to spend
I find lack of money to be a good reason not to spend
Old 30-03-2013, 21:16   #12
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Wait for the s4 which is out fairly soon?
Old 31-03-2013, 00:34   #13
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Wait for the s4 which is out fairly soon?
Usually takes a while after a phone is released before virgin offer it and I doubt it will be cheap.

Seasoned android phone veterans who have spent lots of time fiddling with phones to the point well beyond what the average user would do, would go for the Nexus. The S3 on the other hand is a good phone to break someone in gently to the android super phone club. Saying that, using the nexus should be just as easy.

Hardware wise they are pretty similar although I wasn't aware the nexus had no SD card slot. As to if you need more space depends on how you use the phone. If you plan on taking a lot of HD video and keep it on the phone to show others, then you will need the extra space a SD card gives. Otherwise probably not for the normal user.

Android phones get operating system updates in a similar way to windows and there is often a visual difference to notice between versions. At some point manufacturers stop sending the new version to their older phones but Samsung have a brilliant track record for supporting their phones for longer. Nexus will be the same as Google make it but also will have the benefit of getting the updates sooner.

Either phone will be future proof to well beyond a 2 year contract in my opinion. I can only recommend the S3 as it is the only one I have used extensively. Have no complaints with mine and this post was written on it
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 02:06   #14
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtx View Post
Usually takes a while after a phone is released before virgin offer it and I doubt it will be cheap.

Seasoned android phone veterans who have spent lots of time fiddling with phones to the point well beyond what the average user would do, would go for the Nexus. The S3 on the other hand is a good phone to break someone in gently to the android super phone club. Saying that, using the nexus should be just as easy.

Hardware wise they are pretty similar although I wasn't aware the nexus had no SD card slot. As to if you need more space depends on how you use the phone. If you plan on taking a lot of HD video and keep it on the phone to show others, then you will need the extra space a SD card gives. Otherwise probably not for the normal user.

Android phones get operating system updates in a similar way to windows and there is often a visual difference to notice between versions. At some point manufacturers stop sending the new version to their older phones but Samsung have a brilliant track record for supporting their phones for longer. Nexus will be the same as Google make it but also will have the benefit of getting the updates sooner.

Either phone will be future proof to well beyond a 2 year contract in my opinion. I can only recommend the S3 as it is the only one I have used extensively. Have no complaints with mine and this post was written on it
Virgin actually have the S4 available to order on the website so they should be getting it pretty much at launch. Same as the have done with previous Galaxy S phones.

http://customer.virginmedia.com/forms/samsung
Old 31-03-2013, 17:11   #15
martyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Virgin actually have the S4 available to order on the website so they should be getting it pretty much at launch. Same as the have done with previous Galaxy S phones.

http://customer.virginmedia.com/forms/samsung
Spoke to Virgin yesterday and she says they will be getting the S4 in the next few weeks (don't know if correct or not only a sales persons word on that)
but the cost will be prohibitive so i will probably go for the nexus if the S III still has an up front charge for the phone after the release of the S4