Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin's New PAYG Tariff - Addict

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin's New PAYG Tariff - Addict

Old 30-03-2009, 13:55   #1
grimlea
Inactive

grimlea is an unknown quantity at this point
Virgin's New PAYG Tariff - Addict

Virgin are releasing a new PAYG tariff on 1st April 2009 - & no its not an April fools joke

Sim Cards are going to free of charge - with free delivery if you call into the call centre - 0845 6000 789 - 97p delivery charge if ordered online. Sim cards available to order from today.

Top & get part of new tariff

Top up by £20, £15 & £10 throughout the month & get the following benefits the next month

£20 and get unlimited free texts* - plus free unlimited web access**

£15 and get 600 free texts and unlimited web access for just 30p a day***

£10 and get 300 free texts and unlimited web access for just 30p a day***

Standard Call Charges
Calls to landlines, virgin mobiles & other networks - 20p
All texts - 10p

*Fair usage policy 3000 texts
**Fair usage policy 1GB
***Fair usage policy 25mb per day
grimlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-03-2009, 15:30   #2
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age
Re: Virgin's New PAYG Tariff - Addict

OK so how is it "free unlimited web access" when theres a 1gb cap??? I'd say that should read "1gb Free web access"

Also "unlimited web access for just 30p a day" also isn't unlimited, theres a 25mb cap...

Thirdly, theres not "unlimited free texts" either because theres a 3000 text limit

Sorry to rain on your parade there
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 15:49   #3
dodgem22
cf.addict

Services: virgin tv phone and broadband giff gaff mobile
dodgem22 has a spectacular aura about themdodgem22 has a spectacular aura about themdodgem22 has a spectacular aura about themdodgem22 has a spectacular aura about them

20p a minute flat rate! what a rip off.
dodgem22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 15:51   #4
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age

I think its a tariff pointed at texters rather than people that phone. As for £20/month I'd rather go for O2's Simplicity Tariff with 400 texts and 200 any net minutes + free o2 to o2 calls (but many of my mates are on o2).
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 16:01   #5
grimlea
Inactive

yawn

i spot a deal & share with ppl & get criticised (only post no1) i do agree it is aimed at texters mainly

1. Any company has a right to protect itself & its staff (lets face it the people who would suffer from any high costs incurred would be the staff who would find themselves made redundant in the following efficiency drives) from people who would take advantage of an unlimited deal.

tbh i think that the absurdity would occur if someone needs to send more than 100 texts every day of their life.

Who would take advantage of a unlimited text deal of over 3000 texts? The genuine customer? Doubtful due to the high number. A text spammer who has just bought a list with 2 million mobile numbers on it & the software to mass send sms? Yes highly likely. Result of this would be fine for network provider for creating a package which allows this sort of mass spam at no real cost. Other result lots of really annoyed people who keep getting spam texts

2. Virgin=20p flat rate
o2=25p
orange=20p
vodafone=20p
t-mobile=20p

3. o2 simplicity is a sim only pay by dd (need to pass credot score, set up a credit limit) deal - not PAYG
for your £20 you in effect get 100 mins & 3000 texts
Old 30-03-2009, 16:04   #6
dodgem22
cf.addict

dodgem22 has a spectacular aura about themdodgem22 has a spectacular aura about themdodgem22 has a spectacular aura about themdodgem22 has a spectacular aura about them

virgin used to be good value for payg they should stick to the basics cheap calls and cheap texts i do feel a 20p a minute flat rate is far to high for pay as you go on any network not just virgin

Asda mobile is 8p a minute flat rate and 4p a text granted you dont get anything free but it is cheap and sticking to the basics.

if people want a text package contracts are usually better esp sim only ones.
Old 30-03-2009, 16:10   #7
grimlea
Inactive

will asda mobile continue to use mobile as a loss leader once they have built up their customer base?

agree what you say about monthly contracts, but the fact remains that most uk mobile's are still PAYG. fact also remains that biggest growth in PAYG, market over last 3 years is in top up & get promotions
Old 30-03-2009, 16:14   #8
dodgem22
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlea View Post
will asda mobile continue to use mobile as a loss leader once they have built up their customer base?
I have no idea what they will do but if asda do put the prices up then people can switch just like some people may switch away from virgin payg to get a better deal at the moment and then in a years time may switch back depending on what is on offer at the time.

I agree growth is in pay as you go and pay as you go will continue to grow now due to the credit crunch and people no longer being able to afford contracts in some cases
Old 30-03-2009, 16:15   #9
rogerdraig
cf.mega poster

rogerdraig has reached the bronze age
rogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to rogerdraig

Quote:
yawn

i spot a deal & share with ppl & get criticised (only post no1) i do agree it is aimed at texters mainly

1. Any company has a right to protect itself & its staff (lets face it the people who would suffer from any high costs incurred would be the staff who would find themselves made redundant in the following efficiency drives) from people who would take advantage of an unlimited deal.

tbh i think that the absurdity would occur if someone needs to send more than 100 texts every day of their life.

Who would take advantage of a unlimited text deal of over 3000 texts? The genuine customer? Doubtful due to the high number. A text spammer who has just bought a list with 2 million mobile numbers on it & the software to mass send sms? Yes highly likely. Result of this would be fine for network provider for creating a package which allows this sort of mass spam at no real cost. Other result lots of really annoyed people who keep getting spam texts

2. Virgin=20p flat rate
o2=25p
orange=20p
vodafone=20p
t-mobile=20p

3. o2 simplicity is a sim only pay by dd (need to pass credot score, set up a credit limit) deal - not PAYG
for your £20 you in effect get 100 mins & 3000 texts
sorry no if they put unlimited in that's what it should be i see no problem with the prices as long as they call them what they are limited with set amounts
rogerdraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 17:39   #10
grimlea
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogermevans View Post
sorry no if they put unlimited in that's what it should be i see no problem with the prices as long as they call them what they are limited with set amounts
well oft, ts & asa all disagree with you & they are the ones who decide what is lawful & what isn't - if u disagree you should take it up them

---------- Post added at 17:39 ---------- Previous post was at 17:36 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgem22 View Post
I have no idea what they will do but if asda do put the prices up then people can switch just like some people may switch away from virgin payg to get a better deal at the moment and then in a years time may switch back depending on what is on offer at the time.
yeah, but virgin's payg propostition is still growing & that is before the new tariff, which is better than the old PAYG even if you don't include the top up & get - lets face it they were charging 40p a min for calls to other networks
Old 30-03-2009, 17:57   #11
rogerdraig
cf.mega poster

rogerdraig has reached the bronze age
rogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to rogerdraig

Quote:
well oft, ts & asa all disagree with you & they are the ones who decide what is lawful & what isn't - if u disagree you should take it up them

---------- Post added at 17:39 ---------- Previous post was at 17:36 ----------

yeah, but virgin's payg propostition is still growing & that is before the new tariff, which is better than the old PAYG even if you don't include the top up & get - lets face it they were charging 40p a min for calls to other networks
as it happens virgin has had a few of its adds already rapped for being unclear

heres an example http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008...sa.advertising
rogerdraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 18:03   #12
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

That has nothing to do with Mobile data and 'Unlimited'

All mobile networks use 'Unlimited' with a FUP qualifier
Old 30-03-2009, 18:04   #13
grimlea
Inactive

you will find that what virgin are classing as fair usage is pretty standard with other mobile networks

for example the 3000 texts with vodafone
Old 30-03-2009, 18:06   #14
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

O2 have a FUP of 200Mb a month for their 'Unlimited browsing' bolt on for their PAYG tarrifs
Old 30-03-2009, 18:25   #15
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

I see Virgins version of unlimited shows its ugly face again

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote