Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Clear your thumbs to speed up Tivo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TiVo series 1.

Old 03-06-2016, 18:08   #1
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
TiVo series 1.

Just read on another forum that someone is to but something called a TiVo series 1.

I thought that VM was now the only place to get TiVo in the UK??

Will this work with the VM system? (it was posted in a cable section, but he might intend using it with DTT or satellite)
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-06-2016, 18:46   #2
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Re: TiVo series 1.

A series 1 TiVo is basically a video recorder. It has an analogue input, and will work with any set-top box. (Assuming you can get guide data for it. TiVo themselves no longer support it)
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 19:15   #3
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Thanks. I did wonder if the TiVo/VM deal included exclusivity in the UK.
Old 07-06-2016, 13:12   #4
trickytree
cf.addict

Services: VVIP500
trickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about them

I have a S1 that I added a bigger hard drive to and when I unplugged it back in 2008 it was still working flawlessly.
I just can't bring myself to bin it as I imagine it would not be worth much now especially since the guide data as you mention is no longer supported.
trickytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 18:15   #5
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

I recently read that someone was going to use a S1 TiVo for their VM service, so you may be able to obtain a token amount of money back and give it a new lease of life by putting it on one of the auction sites.
Old 13-06-2016, 10:28   #6
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

The only way you could use a S1 TiVo with Virgin Media is to connect to an existing Virgin Media STB, A S1 TiVo cannot replace Virgin Media issued kit.

There was a modification you could make just after TiVo shut down support for the S1 boxes in the UK to point it at another source for EPG info, however I have no idea if this is still working.
Old 14-06-2016, 11:41   #7
Majordude
Inactive

Majordude is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
A series 1 TiVo is basically a video recorder. It has an analogue input, and will work with any set-top box. (Assuming you can get guide data for it. TiVo themselves no longer support it)
It was a lot more than that!
If you look at any of the options beyond the main epg page, such as the manual record option or the settings option for example they are very similar to the old series 1. You could set up series links and programme recordings, 30 second skip and fast forward in exactly the same way. It also had the same sound effects.
So without the series 1 platform your VM TiVo would arguably not exist in it's current form.
Up until last year as far as I know you could still use it with an alt epg hack/ cache card to enable the current programme information to be downloaded over a phone line.
Majordude is offline   Reply With Quote