Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | S4C HD

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Tivo/V+

Old 13-01-2017, 15:21   #1
jim98
Inactive

jim98 is an unknown quantity at this point
Tivo/V+

At the end of my tether with Virgin so hope you guys can help. After all the recent price increases I had a 'discussion' with them (been a customer for 20 years+) and agreed to reduce my TV from XL to Mix and reduce broadband speed,for a significant monthly 'discount'. Happy with the new rates then the girl told me I was entitled to a Tivo box. I've had my V+ without any problems and was happy but was still pleased to get the Tivo. New box duly arrived only to discover the loud rumbling noise. Spoke to VM guy in India who said it shouldn't make a noise and would send me a new one. New one arrived with the same problem at which time I did a bit of googling to discover they all make the same horrendous noise.
Turned on the box today, still waiting for it to wake up after 10 minutes whilst it still showed the same 'no signal' error that both boxes have shown,although the message normally goes after a minute or so. Not this time so phoned VM and told them I just wanted to just re-connect my old V+. The nice call centre guy said no problem and he would connect me to someone who would send down the required codes. Put back through to VM in England only to be told I would have to revert to my old package, at the old rates, to be able to re-connect the box. I said I wanted to keep the mix and 50Mb broadband, just wanted to use my old box. Someone(hiding behind a desk somewhere) then told the girl I was dealing with that it wasn't possible to do that.
My question to you guys is: 'Could someone at VM have simply re-connected my V+ box without affecting the rest of my TV/broadband package'?
Please bear in mind I never requested a 'new package or tivo' I just agreed to reduce my package for a reduced monthly cost. And I haven't signed the new contract.
jim98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-01-2017, 15:33   #2
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Tivo/V+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim98 View Post
At the end of my tether with Virgin so hope you guys can help. After all the recent price increases I had a 'discussion' with them (been a customer for 20 years+) and agreed to reduce my TV from XL to Mix and reduce broadband speed,for a significant monthly 'discount'. Happy with the new rates then the girl told me I was entitled to a Tivo box. I've had my V+ without any problems and was happy but was still pleased to get the Tivo. New box duly arrived only to discover the loud rumbling noise. Spoke to VM guy in India who said it shouldn't make a noise and would send me a new one. New one arrived with the same problem at which time I did a bit of googling to discover they all make the same horrendous noise.
Turned on the box today, still waiting for it to wake up after 10 minutes whilst it still showed the same 'no signal' error that both boxes have shown,although the message normally goes after a minute or so. Not this time so phoned VM and told them I just wanted to just re-connect my old V+. The nice call centre guy said no problem and he would connect me to someone who would send down the required codes. Put back through to VM in England only to be told I would have to revert to my old package, at the old rates, to be able to re-connect the box. I said I wanted to keep the mix and 50Mb broadband, just wanted to use my old box. Someone(hiding behind a desk somewhere) then told the girl I was dealing with that it wasn't possible to do that.
My question to you guys is: 'Could someone at VM have simply re-connected my V+ box without affecting the rest of my TV/broadband package'?
Please bear in mind I never requested a 'new package or tivo' I just agreed to reduce my package for a reduced monthly cost. And I haven't signed the new contract.
Clearly, there is something wrong at your end. Tivos do not make a rumbling sound!

Why not just call out a technician via Customer Services? They should be able to fix it.

Unless of course you were just hungry when you tried to install it before!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 15:37   #3
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

I can't comment on the pricing or reconnection of the V+, but it is not true that all TiVos make a "loud rumbling noise". In fact noisy ones are very rare. It's more likely that the shelf/cupboard where you are placing it is reverberating. Try putting something soft under the box feet and/or something heavyish on top. Be careful not to block too many of the ventilation slots, though.

ps. Welcome to the forum!
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 16:56   #4
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

They do make a rumbling sound, to 99% of people its acceptable noise, but some people are extra sensitive to this noise, foam feet might help
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 17:09   #5
jim98
Inactive

jim98 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys.
Can anyone comment on whether they are fibbing about not being able to re-connect my V+ box?
jim98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 17:12   #6
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Your price will have been dependent on re-contracting on a current bundle, all of which include TiVo and preclude putting your V+ back in to replace TiVo.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 17:44   #7
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

All the new bundles come with tivo I'm afraid
Old 13-01-2017, 17:44   #8
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

And some of them now come with V6
Old 13-01-2017, 18:18   #9
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
They do make a rumbling sound, to 99% of people its acceptable noise, but some people are extra sensitive to this noise, foam feet might help

Really? Mine's doesn't!
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 19:01   #10
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Everything with a hard drive makes a noise. That why I have a nice quiet, hard drive free, VHD box in the bedroom.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 19:42   #11
jb66
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Really? Mine's doesn't!
Put your ear to it
Old 14-01-2017, 01:24   #12
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Put your ear to it

That's as daft as it gets ffs, the suggestion was that the box is noisy from ( not having to put your ear to it ) but from, say, an armchair, i can put my ear to a sea shell and hear the ocean, right?
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 07:37   #13
jb66
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
That's as daft as it gets ffs, the suggestion was that the box is noisy from ( not having to put your ear to it ) but from, say, an armchair, i can put my ear to a sea shell and hear the ocean, right?
Hello..... I actually get called out to this.

I have one particular customer who has had 4 tivo in the last 3 months.

The procedure is:

He sits me down in his sofa, turns the TV off closes the door and we listen. He has a very quiet house, right enough we can hear it clicking away.

I've explained that this is normal, tried rubber feet, went from cisco to Samsung and back to cisco. He keeps insisting his friend has a quiet tivo so he wants one.

They all make a noise. Most houses ambient noise is louder, but some are not.

It's similar to the sh1 psu issue. I could hear every single curved psu screaching away but was constantly told it must be a faulty batch, no, I could hear EVERY single one.

As I said before they ALL tick and rumble. It's just that 99% of people find it acceptable

Last edited by jb66; 14-01-2017 at 07:41.
Old 14-01-2017, 12:57   #14
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Hello..... I actually get called out to this.

I have one particular customer who has had 4 tivo in the last 3 months.

The procedure is:

He sits me down in his sofa, turns the TV off closes the door and we listen. He has a very quiet house, right enough we can hear it clicking away.

I've explained that this is normal, tried rubber feet, went from cisco to Samsung and back to cisco. He keeps insisting his friend has a quiet tivo so he wants one.

They all make a noise. Most houses ambient noise is louder, but some are not.

It's similar to the sh1 psu issue. I could hear every single curved psu screaching away but was constantly told it must be a faulty batch, no, I could hear EVERY single one.

As I said before they ALL tick and rumble. It's just that 99% of people find it acceptable
Mine didn't. It was extremely quiet.

My new V6s are the same. If you put your ear to them, you can hear a very quiet sound that is a little like someone exhaling gently. But I tend not to attach my ear to the machine while watching TV or carrying out other activities around the house.

I could do, I suppose, but my family would give me funny looks and probably start looking up the local care homes...
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 10:53   #15
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
My new V6s are the same. If you put your ear to them, you can hear a very quiet sound that is a little like someone exhaling gently. But I tend not to attach my ear to the machine while watching TV or carrying out other activities around the house.
Coupled with the power light in could be irritating in a room you are trying to sleep in though. However, guess as JB66 says, some are more sensitive than others. On the VHD you can totally power off with the remote, can you do this on the V6?
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote