Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What have you fixed lately?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

What have you fixed lately?

Old 05-05-2016, 18:11   #481
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Re: What have you fixed lately?

I hated having to wait up to 4 minutes for watering cans to fill, so I've just "fixed" that. A 6 litre toilet cistern on the garden wall fed from the outside tap. 2 second fills now.
Taf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-05-2016, 20:54   #482
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Some old wooden garden furniture I though I have to dispose of this year. However sanded, varnished a few new screws and voila !

Think I'll get Mrs K, to test it first though....
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 20:09   #483
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Some old wooden garden furniture I though I have to dispose of this year. However sanded, varnished a few new screws and voila !
Thats what I've started today. 15 year old table & 6 chairs. Sanded down one chair and half the table and applied Danish Oil. Run out of sandpaper and oil so I'm now waiting for ebay to deliver more
Old 10-05-2016, 10:13   #484
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

The venetian blind on our kitchen window. One of the cords had worn and broke suddenly so I had to take it down and replace it. Luckily the break was right at the bottom of the blind so I was able to reuse the old cord which is colour coded to match the slats.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 15:42   #485
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

DVD RW drive on my PC, luckily I had a spare.

I put a disk in to burn yesterday and didn't notice a very thin spacer disk was stuck to it.

They separated when the drive spun up.... and bang went the laser holder.
Taf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 20:18   #486
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

About to start on the CV joint on my old car... ruddy ball joints are a pain to separate, just broke a new £15.00 ball joint separator, oh well back to the 4ft scaffolding pole as a lever.
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 20:30   #487
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Once you get the separator (or lever) up to a decent torque try hitting the part the joint goes into with two hammers on opposite sides. Helps break the cold weld of the metal.

I've had a similar problem with the lower ball joint on the front of the Metro. This slides into the hub and is held with a pinch bolt. Over the years all the muck and bullets corrode the surfaces and the thing is a devil to get out. Needs a long lever inserted where it can get purchase and then some concentrated hammer work and penetrating oil.
Old 14-05-2016, 18:49   #488
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

The wife's Lexon lcd watch. Took it to our usual guy who couldn't work out how to get the battery out and gave up. After about 30 mins of fiddling at home I eventually managed to remove it and replace it with the required CR2016 cell. Watch working nicely, Brownie points won...

Last edited by Osem; 10-06-2018 at 15:50.
Old 19-05-2016, 11:48   #489
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Solar rock light. Water had got into where the solar cell is and corroded away the connections. Fortunately I have a stock of higher power ones of roughly the same size so soldered in a new one and fixed it back with plenty of silicon sealant. Works a treat.

As time goes on I'll probably upgrade the rest of them as with the better cells and batteries they stay lit at full power all night.
Old 19-05-2016, 22:01   #490
Osem
Inactive

Our mildew stained and part rotten Velux window frames. Well they've been in over 20 years and get the worst of the weather so I can't complain. It seems condensation was the main issue which caused quite a lot of black staining and small sections of one of the frames to rot away. Thankfully wood preserver treatment followed by careful filling using a 2 part pine coloured polyester based filler and sanding has done the trick. It's been a bit of a job but satisfying as working with wood usually is. Just another 2 large roof windows to go and I'm all done for a few years hopefully...
Old 02-06-2016, 11:24   #491
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Some jobs on my lad's bike: Stripped, cleaned and rebalanced carbs. New plugs and coil packs.

I need to check the plugs on my car this weekend which is a bit of a pain as to get anywhere near them you need to remove the washer bottle on one side and on the other side: the battery, air box and MAF sensor.
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 13:25   #492
Osem
Inactive

The headphones socket on my Asus laptop. I lost all sound from the speakers yesterday but recalled that I'd briefly been using the headphones earlier in the day. I plugged them back in and the sound was fine so suspected something to do with the headphone socket and had a careful pock around with a piece of wire. Suddenly the sound came back.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:30   #493
Osem
Inactive

Forgot to mention the Ikea rise and fall type cellular blind I fixed last week. I've never seen anything like the cord mechanism inside those damned things. It took ages to work out what the problem was even after I'd finally resorted to removing one of the other blinds and using that as a guide. Even so, trying to re-run the cord through the complex series of wheels/pulleys with so little room to play with was a real pain. I got there in the end after about 4 hours of fiddling.

Yesterday I fixed the power cable of my hedge trimmer which got snagged and tugged whilst I was cutting out hedges, causing a failed connection within the body of the trimmer. Luckily It was a simple case of opening it up and reinstating the wires in the terminal block. Looking at it, the cable clamp isn't all that secure so I reckon a lot of these machines fail for the same reason and probably get checked away by people who can't be bothered to open them up.
Old 09-06-2016, 22:10   #494
rogerdraig
cf.mega poster

rogerdraig has reached the bronze age
rogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to rogerdraig

iphone 4 (screen and battery) ipad 2 volume and digitizer and built from leftover parts ( bought Ariel wire and button flex ) a nokia lumia 625

i was board ( 4 weeks of chest infection and still ongoing )
rogerdraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 15:30   #495
Osem
Inactive

A couple of the wife's summer dresses which need alterations. A few mins on the sewing machine sorted them out nicely.