Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What to expect from your Virgin Media TiVo 15.2 Upgrade

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

What to expect from your Virgin Media TiVo 15.2 Upgrade

Old 24-11-2011, 09:25   #31
ToonEll
cf.member

Services: VIP Collection
ToonEll is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: What to expect from your Virgin Media TiVo 15.2 Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayonet View Post
Just had the update and was wondering is there a step by step guide to setting up the ethernet connection. I've got a 50 meg superhub also tried downloading the tivo commander from Android market and I'm getting a download error if anyone knows something about this as well.
Following this post helped me (#5) after connecting TiVo to router via Ethernet cable.
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/11...droid-app.html
ToonEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-11-2011, 10:07   #32
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Services: 30Mb Broadband (XL), 2TB TiVo (M+), Samsung Galaxy Ace (M), POTS Landline (M).
zekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a quick repost of something I mentioned over at TiVo Community forum to help people get the TiVo Commander Android app working:

The Android TiVo Commander app gives you a virtual remote, virtual keyboard which works on most things and control of My Shows and recordings, to a good extent. It's the quickest way I've found to remote the TiVo, even including using a USB keyboard with the F11 SD menus.

Better still, managing My Shows/recordings etc is done in the background while the TiVo continues to play fullscreen, handy if you have a missus who can't stand the tinkering when she's watching her godawful soaps or whatever.

To get it working you do need to enter the TSN, MAK and IP numbers in the Custom Settings menu but after that it's plain sailing.
  • Go Home -> Help & Settings -> System Info.
  • TiVo Service Number (forth line of text). Make a note.
  • Go back.
  • Media Accesss Key (MAK) is second option. Press right, enter PIN, make a note.
  • Go Home -> Help & Settings -> Settings -> Network.
  • TiVo IP address is fifth line on the right text column.
  • Go back.
  • Go Network Remote Control. Allow.

Type the IP, MAK and TiVo service number into the TiVo Commander app under Custom Settings. When done and pressing back on the Android device, five options should appear:
  • Remote
  • My Shows
  • Search
  • Settings
  • About

Enjoy!
zekeisaszekedoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2011, 11:15   #33
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Ok, so have new software & as I suspected as far as I am concerned it is only bring the Tivo closer* to my trusty V+ Sorry.
For the most part I cannot see any real difference in performance ( I don’t have a stopwatch.It would be that small & I never thought it was slow ) I guess I have not used anything else to see the difference.
The picture has been great from the start so again do not “see” the fix.
* Back to coming closer before the “update” I could only use my Digi sender if I removed the Hdmi cable from the TV ( never a problem with the V+).Now I only need to press clear( to get the message off the screen that it does not work) .
I was going to swap the boxes around but I think I will hold off now the sender works.
I still feel ,that if all you want is a box that records, plays & gets you to the I player etc. This is on balance NOT worth paying extra for.
So for all you folks how just want to watch tv . Think about it carefully.
As it saved me money I happy, would be sick if I had paid for install etc.
I wonder if the core problem is the fact that it is adapted US software. We have two programmes running in work. One written from scratch in UK & one built around core US software. We are forever amending it as it does not work in the way we would like. One year on its still being tweaked.
Itshim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2011, 12:30   #34
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekeisaszekedoes View Post
Here's a quick repost of something I mentioned over at TiVo Community forum to help people get the TiVo Commander Android app working:

The Android TiVo Commander app gives you a virtual remote, virtual keyboard which works on most things and control of My Shows and recordings, to a good extent. It's the quickest way I've found to remote the TiVo, even including using a USB keyboard with the F11 SD menus.

Better still, managing My Shows/recordings etc is done in the background while the TiVo continues to play fullscreen, handy if you have a missus who can't stand the tinkering when she's watching her godawful soaps or whatever.

To get it working you do need to enter the TSN, MAK and IP numbers in the Custom Settings menu but after that it's plain sailing.
  • Go Home -> Help & Settings -> System Info.
  • TiVo Service Number (forth line of text). Make a note.
  • Go back.
  • Media Accesss Key (MAK) is second option. Press right, enter PIN, make a note.
  • Go Home -> Help & Settings -> Settings -> Network.
  • TiVo IP address is fifth line on the right text column.
  • Go back.
  • Go Network Remote Control. Allow.

Type the IP, MAK and TiVo service number into the TiVo Commander app under Custom Settings. When done and pressing back on the Android device, five options should appear:
  • Remote
  • My Shows
  • Search
  • Settings
  • About

Enjoy!
Not got any android devices ATM but thanks for that very detailed explanation. I'm sure it will be very helpful for those that have.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2011, 14:12   #35
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Services: 30Mb Broadband (XL), 2TB TiVo (M+), Samsung Galaxy Ace (M), POTS Landline (M).
zekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond repute

Been trying to get TiVo Commander app working across WAN so you can schedule recordings anywhere without using the VM web software. So far no luck... I can open the TiVo's port but it never shows as open leading me to believe either the TiVo has a firewall of some kind or more ports need to be open. I'll have to look into it some more.
Old 25-11-2011, 13:44   #36
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekeisaszekedoes View Post
Just wanted to make a thread to point out how much the TiVo has improved with the new firmware version 15.2, as opposed to version 15.1 which I used for a couple of months before I got the update.

I have the 500GB TiVo on the M+ package. My firmware update was done between the hours of 2am and 4am… can’t be more accurate as I was asleep, however a friend of mine in the same area was using his at around 3am or so says that is when the upgrade “kicked in”. Some on this forum have reported that they had theirs either at 2am, or slightly earlier at 1:45am.

The headend for my box is Fareham which is covered under the Solent (Portsmouth) rollout area scheduled for early morning of the 22nd, so the update was delivered on-time, more or less.

There are four lists:

Snippety snip snip... [Mod Edit - no need to quote the entire post]

SUMMARY

Overall the 15.2 can be considered a big improvement over the 15.1 in a variety of ways, with some of the lingering problems due to be removed in the next firmware upgrade. Well done Virgin Media, and TiVo US!
Thats good!

Has Red button appeared on Tivo yet
Alan Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 14:19   #37
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

The provision for it has been put in, but no, Red Button on channels where it shows the Press prompt in the top right still just take you to Catchup where available.

Same deal as Multi-Room Streaming really... the framework appears to be there but it won't be usable until the next update, which hopefully won't take as long to rollout now, especially considering TiVo US just released the Premiere Elite and are promising new software updates for that and everything else in the Series 4 range!

---------- Post added at 13:19 ---------- Previous post was at 13:02 ----------

Oh, something I keep forgetting to point out:

POSITIVE CHANGES
  • Full screen info tweaks.
    • When typing in three digits to change channel, there is now no need to press OK or wait, the change is instantaneous.
    • I noticed a "visual cue" I hadn't seen before, namely a hold |<- to go back to the start of the program one while watching a recording.
    • There might be more, I'll add them as I find them.
Old 25-11-2011, 14:53   #38
zantarous
www.magicorptech.blogspot

Services: V.I.P
zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one

Did you have to press Ok before when entering the channel number I seem to recall if you did that it would change the channel and then bring up the mini guide.

I also noticed something that I don't think was there before when you press the info button on the right above where it says first aired it also lists the various genre that a show belongs in, although this doesn't seem to show up on a lot of listings yet.
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 14:58   #39
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

On 15.1 I used to key in the three-digit channel number and press OK. Then it jumped to the channel but no mini EPG.

Yeah I covered that second part in the initial post, it's great being able to see the genre/first-aired/series/episode information when available. Big improvement!
Old 25-11-2011, 15:12   #40
mikes12345
Inactive

Services: 2 x TIVO 500GB, XL TV, BB XL 60MB
mikes12345 is just really nicemikes12345 is just really nicemikes12345 is just really nicemikes12345 is just really nicemikes12345 is just really nicemikes12345 is just really nice

Not sure how many of us there are ... but I am a Windows Phone 7 user ... I found an app called TivoRemote in the marketplace (it is free) Very simple but effective and now works with my VM Tivo since the update. I managed to work out the settings myself, but if you follow the instructions mentioned previously in this thread for the Android app you wont go far wrong (although I skipped the MAK - didn't seem necessary but I'm not sure if I might need to add it for some future version of the app - assuming at some point it will get more functionality).

This is a big boost for me as I use an HDMI splitter to route the TIVO to my kitchen but previsouly I had to change channels etc in the living room before wathching in the kitchen, now I can use this remote anywhere in the house.
mikes12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 15:18   #41
passingbat
Inactive

passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes12345 View Post

This is a big boost for me as I use an HDMI splitter to route the TIVO to my kitchen but previsouly I had to change channels etc in the living room before wathching in the kitchen, now I can use this remote anywhere in the house.
Out of interest, f you had two tivos, would it change the channel on both or would it know which tivo it's controlling? I guess this question applies to all app type devices.
Old 25-11-2011, 15:25   #42
zantarous
www.magicorptech.blogspot

Services: V.I.P
zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one

On most of these apps you have to specify the IP address of your Tivo or the name of your box so you only control one at a time.
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 15:38   #43
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by zantarous View Post
On most of these apps you have to specify the IP address of your Tivo or the name of your box so you only control one at a time.
OK, thanks. Should have known that from reading the thread on android app.
Old 25-11-2011, 15:45   #44
mikes12345
Inactive

Services: 2 x TIVO 500GB, XL TV, BB XL 60MB
mikes12345 is just really nicemikes12345 is just really nicemikes12345 is just really nicemikes12345 is just really nicemikes12345 is just really nicemikes12345 is just really nice

The Windows Phone 7 app I am using requires you to provide the IP address (as other people have already mentioned), but does support more than one Tivo - you can add multiple and name them with friendly names and then choose which to control (although I only have one so I can only say this based on the options in the interface - I haven't tested this)
mikes12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 19:50   #45
bayonet
cf.addict

Services: 152Mb 2AC Superhub XL TV with TIVO
bayonet is just really nicebayonet is just really nicebayonet is just really nicebayonet is just really nicebayonet is just really nicebayonet is just really nice

I'm now able to use TIVO commander from my HTC Desire only problem I had was I couldn't download it in the first place from Android marker. Sorted this by setting phone back to factory settings first, obviouslymaking sure I backed up my contacts music and pictures beforehand via HTC Sync :-). Like the commander very quick and the present Mrs B may use it as she finds the TIVO remote a bit flaky. She doesn't sit directly in front of the TIVO as a rule
bayonet is offline   Reply With Quote