Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Reminders on TiVo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Reminders on TiVo

Old 20-04-2011, 23:07   #46
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Reminders on TiVo

I've just checked and there are loads of the US cable and satellite firms still using show reminders.

http://xfinity.comcast.net/newguide/...MOA28VOD10.pdf page 12
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-04-2011, 23:11   #47
scotmac
Inactive

Services: XL Tv 2 x V6 1 TB TiVo 200 Broadband XL phone
scotmac is a glorious beacon of lightscotmac is a glorious beacon of lightscotmac is a glorious beacon of lightscotmac is a glorious beacon of lightscotmac is a glorious beacon of lightscotmac is a glorious beacon of lightscotmac is a glorious beacon of light

Been busy reading all the posts , but V+ just changed over to tna wrestling , which i would have missed if i had been downstairs with laptop as Tivo would have recorded it and not told me it was starting. Yes Tivo is set to record it just incase i forgot to watch, reminder on tivo would give best of both worlds ie watch a program or record a program , making it your choice.
scotmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 23:34   #48
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythagoras View Post
Excellent option! Note to TiVo team working on reminder addition, "If no response to reminder question, i.e do you wish to change channels, record program" Therefore if you are in you select change channels and if your delayed tiVo will record it for you!

Regards

John.
Or just set it to record in the first place

(Come on! You knew I was going to say that, didn't you?! )
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 23:42   #49
Pubmaster
Inactive

Services: BB XL
Pubmaster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
BINGO! Welcome to the 21st Century.

If you still want to sit down at a specific time to watch a specific show, why the heck did you waste money on a Tivo?

Exactly!
So do you have a TiVo?

If you do,

why the heck did you waste money on a Tivo? why not just watch VOD?
Pubmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 23:42   #50
pythagoras
cf.addict

pythagoras has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Or just set it to record in the first place

(Come on! You knew I was going to say that, didn't you?! )
How does having it recorded remind me to watch it?
pythagoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 23:50   #51
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pubmaster View Post
So do you have a TiVo?

If you do,

why the heck did you waste money on a Tivo? why not just watch VOD?
Because not everything I record is available via OD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythagoras View Post
How does having it recorded remind me to watch it?
Okay it doesn't, but if you're not infront of the TV you'd miss the reminder anyway.
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 23:55   #52
DaBoz
Inactive

DaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
BINGO! Welcome to the 21st Century.

If you still want to sit down at a specific time to watch a specific show, why the heck did you waste money on a Tivo?
it's not a binary question. There are circumstances when recording works. but there are also times when watching live is required, e.g programme with live phone in (daytime chat shows, voting shows, shopping) and when it is preferred, e.g. Sports events, concerts.

Understanding that isn't hard.

Boz
DaBoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 00:05   #53
richardc1983
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media TiVo XL & V+, 30MB Cable Broadband & Phone
richardc1983 is an unknown quantity at this point

Having read the responses I do kind of see where Carl is coming from. Its a completely different way of watching tv and I guess myself will find that I will start to watch tv at a time that suites me.

Given the ammount of recording space you have you can just set things to record as series links etc and then just watch as you please whilst ff through the adverts etc.

A live sports even well you can just record that anyway or watch it upto you.

One question I would like to ask though is that on Sky+HD if you are watching Corrie on ITV and then have paused it for 15minutes and then decide that you want to watch it later as you have to nip out to the shop you can record it from the start providing you havent changed channels. Does the TiVo allow you to be able to record it from the start by it taking whats in the buffer or will it only record from where it is currently at on live tv like the V+ does?
richardc1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 00:21   #54
pythagoras
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardc1983 View Post
Having read the responses I do kind of see where Carl is coming from. Its a completely different way of watching tv and I guess myself will find that I will start to watch tv at a time that suites me.

Given the ammount of recording space you have you can just set things to record as series links etc and then just watch as you please whilst ff through the adverts etc.

A live sports even well you can just record that anyway or watch it upto you.

One question I would like to ask though is that on Sky+HD if you are watching Corrie on ITV and then have paused it for 15minutes and then decide that you want to watch it later as you have to nip out to the shop you can record it from the start providing you havent changed channels. Does the TiVo allow you to be able to record it from the start by it taking whats in the buffer or will it only record from where it is currently at on live tv like the V+ does?
Yes it does!

Regards

John
pythagoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 10:35   #55
TheDon
Inactive

TheDon has reached the bronze age
TheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardc1983 View Post
You can even have changed channels and record it on Tivo.
The 3 tuners all buffer seperately, so as long as you have more than 1 free tuner if you switched from ITV to BBC 1 during the Corrie then you can switch back to ITV and still rewind within the buffer or record from it.
TheDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 10:56   #56
sniper007
Inactive

sniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of light

I think another issue with everyone saying to just record everything, 1TB really is not that much space and runs out fast if you start doing that and using suggestions etc all in HD. Can't hurt to atleast add reminders for those that use it. I think the box should have had a 2TB drive in it as they are still cheap.
sniper007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 11:02   #57
clinteastman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media XL TV, XXL Broadband, L Phone, TiVo, V+
clinteastman has reached the bronze age
clinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper007 View Post
I think another issue with everyone saying to just record everything, 1TB really is not that much space and runs out fast if you start doing that and using suggestions etc all in HD. Can't hurt to atleast add reminders for those that use it. I think the box should have had a 2TB drive in it as they are still cheap.
If it's something you were going to watch live you would have watched it and deleted it long before space became a problem? Also suggestions are deleted automatically when you need more space, TiVo is ment to have a full drive all the time.
clinteastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 12:32   #58
HDFootyMan
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 1TB TiVo, 500Gb TiVo, TV XL, 60Mb Broadband, Phone
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze age
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze age

Looks like even the TiVo team don't believe in 'record everything' after all:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=468512
HDFootyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 12:40   #59
zantarous
www.magicorptech.blogspot

Services: V.I.P
zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one

No it says due to massive feedback which is very good as they are listing to people who want a feature. although honestly in all the years I have had cable the only reason I used reminders were in the prePVR days when you wanted to record stuff while out and used it to change channel.

I do set everything to record and then watch when I want.
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 12:49   #60
HDFootyMan
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 1TB TiVo, 500Gb TiVo, TV XL, 60Mb Broadband, Phone
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze age
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by zantarous View Post
No it says due to massive feedback which is very good as they are listing to people who want a feature. although honestly in all the years I have had cable the only reason I used reminders were in the prePVR days when you wanted to record stuff while out and used it to change channel.

I do set everything to record and then watch when I want.
Well if they didn't believe it, they wouldn't be doing it and taking notice of the feedback. They would be digging their heels in and continuing to say 'record everything.'

But yes, good news.
HDFootyMan is offline   Reply With Quote