Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Reminders on TiVo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Reminders on TiVo

Old 20-04-2011, 22:24   #31
richardc1983
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media TiVo XL & V+, 30MB Cable Broadband & Phone
richardc1983 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Reminders on TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythagoras View Post
I use the Radio Times app. I select the programs I want to be reminded of and then email them to myself. When you open the email on the iphone you click on the program name and you get the option to add this program as an event with an alarm a set time before the program starts. Works very well for me.

Regards

John
What a long winded process when I am used to using the reminders facility built in on the boxes.
richardc1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-04-2011, 22:26   #32
pythagoras
cf.addict

pythagoras has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardc1983 View Post
What a long winded process when I am used to using the reminders facility built in on the boxes.
The second option I gave isnt.
pythagoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 22:28   #33
richardc1983
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media TiVo XL & V+, 30MB Cable Broadband & Phone
richardc1983 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythagoras View Post
I found a better solution for you:

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/tvgui...317212648?mt=8

Its free, can be set up for virgin media packages and its just touch to set a reminder and an ical event, which of course will sync the reminder to all your iDevices and iMac.

Regards

John.

I'll be using this now instead of the radio times app. Its a cracking interface on the iPad!

Ah great idea, I already use this app for work when we want to see whats on tv but will configure it for virgin media and then set the reminders this way

---------- Post added at 22:28 ---------- Previous post was at 22:26 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
It happened 10 seconds ago when you're watching "live" anyway
Or on ITVHD they switch to an advert break anyway!
richardc1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 22:29   #34
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

Its rather confusing, If you get TiVo it will cost you £149 as a regular customer and £3.00 per month, so whats the £149 for, if thats what you pay for an activation fee, l would rather stay where l am.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 22:29   #35
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
BINGO! Welcome to the 21st Century.

If you still want to sit down at a specific time to watch a specific show, why the heck did you waste money on a Tivo?

Exactly!
Carl I'm sure there are millions of people like myself who seem to be stuck living pre 2002 with a PVR , is it that big of an offense to record some things and watch others live , heck there may even be some who find some of the adverts you fast forward through quite amusing.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 22:32   #36
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
... but to record everything seems some what slavish to TiVo.
Huh?

It actually frees me from TV schedules. Now I don't have to be sat ready to watch whatever programme at the time the broadcaster has scheduled it.

Having done this for almost the last ten years I could never go back to your way of doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgollop View Post
You're clearly not a sports fan Carl!
True, I am not. However, if I was I'd still set it to record as I could then skip through any "talking heads" that I might not be bothered about, etc. Or adverts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
How is the "change channel at start" duplicated when you set a recording it WILL NOT ask you to change channel at the start unless all the tuners are already in use. It will just sit there recording it in the background.
Yes. Reminders change the channel at the start. So do recordings. Well done. That was excatly my point. The only difference it that a reminder won't record it for you.

Quote:
If you don't want to watch live tv, why the heck do you waste money on a TV sub?
Huh?
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 22:35   #37
HDFootyMan
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 1TB TiVo, 500Gb TiVo, TV XL, 60Mb Broadband, Phone
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze age
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Huh?

It actually frees me from TV schedules. Now I don't have to be sat ready to watch whatever programme at the time the broadcaster has scheduled it.

Having done this for almost the last ten years I could never go back to your way of doing it.
But, by your own admission, you're not a sports fan.

If you were, you might have a different opinion about reminders. And some of us like watching those LIVE talking heads, I know I will on Cup-Final day, no adverts in ESPN's coverage from 2.30pm onwards.
HDFootyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 22:38   #38
Lew
Inactive

Services: VIP50, TiVo
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array

Quote:
Huh?

True, I am not. However, if I was I'd still set it to record as I could then skip through any "talking heads" that I might not be bothered about, etc. Or adverts!
Good for you. Some of us like to be able to watch TV as it airs, particularly when watching live sport. Just because we use reminders doesn't mean we don't also record things. I could quite easily use my V+ in the way you're saying you use TiVo, but sometimes, like right now (I'm watching a live baseball game on ESPN America) I will watch live. Nothing wrong with having both options available.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 22:39   #39
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
Good for you. Some of us like to be able to watch TV as it airs, particularly when watching live sport. Just because we use reminders doesn't mean we don't also record things. I could quite easily use my V+ in the way you're saying you use TiVo, but sometimes, like right now (I'm watching a live baseball game on ESPN America) I will watch live. Nothing wrong with having both options available.
Quite right enjoy your baseball , and good to find another fellow US sports fan
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 22:40   #40
HDFootyMan
Inactive

HDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
Nothing wrong with having both options available.
Exactly.

As I've said on my blog, exactly what harm will be caused to people who don't use reminders, if VM added that functionality to TiVo?
Old 20-04-2011, 22:45   #41
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

My whole point boils down to this, and always has.

You don't need the reminder function because the only difference between it and what a Tivo does is that Tivo starts recording the programme as well. BONUS!

There's nothing to stop you switching to the correct channel just as the recording starts.

Besides, what if, although you plan to be infront of the TV when the programme starts but can't because you're still at work or on the phone or chatting to someone at the front door can't being yourself to leave the pub or whatever. What good is a "reminder" in those circumstances? At least with Tivo (and V+) the action is being recorded for you too!
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 22:51   #42
HDFootyMan
Inactive

Quote:

You don't need the reminder function because the only difference between it and what a Tivo does is that Tivo starts recording the programme as well. BONUS!

There's nothing to stop you switching to the correct channel just as the recording starts.

Besides, what if, although you plan to be infront of the TV when the programme starts but can't because you're still at work or on the phone or chatting to someone at the front door can't being yourself to leave the pub or whatever. What good is a "reminder" in those circumstances? At least with Tivo (and V+) the action is being recorded for you too!
Again, I ask: What difference would it make to you if VM added this functionality?

Answer: None whatsoever.

You wouldn't use it. Can you accept that other people might? Because its clear from this thread that other people would use that functionality.
Old 20-04-2011, 22:54   #43
Lew
Inactive

Services: VIP50, TiVo
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array

Quote:

No, because a recording happens in the background. It doesn't switch channels. As an example, if I'm planning on watching a live baseball game I'll set a reminder and then put something else on while I'm waiting. I don't care if I miss the end of what I've put on in this case, it's just eye candy while I'm waiting for the game to start. When the time comes for the game the V+ will change channels for me so I don't have to keep an eye on the time.

Quote:
What if I don't want to clock-watch? I don't wear a watch most of the time and don't have a clock in my room so by your logic I'd have to keep bringing up the EPG to check the time to see if it was time to switch over. A reminder will automatically change channel at the right time.

Quote:
Well, if I couldn't be at the TV then I wouldn't be watching live in the first place, would I? If I got delayed at work then (if I had a TiVo) then I could set a remote record. If I just got held up on the phone or similar then I'd let the V+/TiVo switch channels and watch from wherever it was. I don't care if I miss the start of the game, I prefer watching live.

What I'm curious to know is why it's such a big thing to you that other people have different viewing habits to you.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 22:54   #44
pythagoras
cf.addict

Quote:
What good is a "reminder" in those circumstances? At least with Tivo (and V+) the action is being recorded for you too!
Excellent option! Note to TiVo team working on reminder addition, "If no response to reminder question, i.e do you wish to change channels, record program" Therefore if you are in you select change channels and if your delayed tiVo will record it for you!

Regards

John.
pythagoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 23:03   #45
TheDon
Inactive

TheDon has reached the bronze age
TheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Yes. Reminders change the channel at the start. So do recordings. Well done. That was excatly my point. The only difference it that a reminder won't record it for you.
No, recordings DONT change channel at the start. They only prompt you to change channel if all 3 tuners are currently in use. If there's a free tuner because you're not recording 2 other channels then it will SILENTLY record in the background.
TheDon is offline   Reply With Quote