Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVo Picture Quality

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

TiVo Picture Quality

Old 21-04-2011, 11:51   #31
Perfect Choice
cf.geek

Services: Maxit TV, M phone, 200MB BB, V6 TIVO, Super Hub3
Perfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to behold
Re: TiVo Picture Quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabasterLyn View Post
There's always been a big debate about the difference between Plasma and LCD. I have always preferred Plasma, even though we also have 2 LCD TV's. We had our V+ installed where our old Samsung sbt was and although the HD picture quality is very good the sd picture is still not brilliant and it's only a 32" LCD TV so hate to think what it would be like on a larger screen
Appreciate that and always a decision to go for plasma or LCD.

The key issue with Tivo whatever TV you have is that Tivo seems to be the cuase of the slightly lower quality picture. V+ was noticably sharper in both SD and HD so it is the components/firmware in Tivo which is not creating as a good as picture as the V+ did to the same TV on identical settings.

Just did not expect to go backwards when getting the Tivo, VM really need to investigate as this should be basic stuff.
Perfect Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-04-2011, 11:51   #32
clinteastman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media XL TV, XXL Broadband, L Phone, TiVo, V+
clinteastman has reached the bronze age
clinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBoz View Post
Pass, however on V+ the difference between 1 and 1HD for breakfast news was noticeable. What's even more noticeable is the very poor picture on TiVo for me.

I really need to try on-demand HD to see how that fares, and experiment with the TV out settings, but getting time to do that with household TV demands is proving tricky!

Boz
I ended up reseting my TV settings for the input and started from scratch, PQ is a lot better now and almost on par with my old SA, still slightly grainy on SD but HD looks great.
clinteastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 13:04   #33
DaBoz
Inactive

DaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinteastman View Post
I ended up reseting my TV settings for the input and started from scratch, PQ is a lot better now and almost on par with my old SA, still slightly grainy on SD but HD looks great.
That's an interesting point. Just had text conversation with my engineer and he's going to help me sort it out, mainly by tweaking the TiVo output settings and the TV input settings.

Will try tonight, if I can prise the family away from the TV!

Boz
DaBoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 20:04   #34
DaBoz
Inactive

DaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to beholdDaBoz is a splendid one to behold

I tried setting 720p only, then 1080i only (auto detect setting) and then both, and then those two and 520p and 520i all together. Nothing made any difference.

I tried changing my TV's settings, but there aren't any really.

I tried an On Demand HD program, Wild Africa I think, and although it was better, movement blurs the image. Still not as crisp and vibrant as SA V+

Any other ideas?
Old 21-04-2011, 20:16   #35
Perfect Choice
cf.geek

Perfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBoz View Post
That's an interesting point. Just had text conversation with my engineer and he's going to help me sort it out, mainly by tweaking the TiVo output settings and the TV input settings.

Will try tonight, if I can prise the family away from the TV!

Boz
Please report how you get on with those tweaks.

My installer was a backup (the planned installer's van had broken down apparently) and while he had been trained on the Tivo install, it was clear with a few questions that he did not know much about the features and he seemed to be more BB experienced for installs. I noticed he did adjust some frequency settings from an engineer screen on Tivo and he had to install an equaliser as the signal was too strong, but I wonder if some other fine tuning should have been done?

May be worthwhile for me to ask for a more experienced engineer to return to see if the picture can be improved from Tivo adjustments at least.

Is your engineer the person who installed your Tivo or somebody you know in VM?
Old 21-04-2011, 21:29   #36
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

There are no 'tweaks'. 1080 or 720. Your tv does the rest
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 21:32   #37
Perfect Choice
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
On what it receives from Tivo which is the issue as I am certain whatever Tivo is sending (versus V+ doing exactly the same!), all these posts of poorer TV PQ indicate something is not right.
Old 21-04-2011, 21:51   #38
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

My sa v+ is better picturewise than the TiVo, not much better but slightly noticeable. The tech can't 'tweak' anything. There is nothing to adjust. I think it's just the upscaling hardware in the TiVo that's not as good as the sa
Old 21-04-2011, 21:58   #39
Ben B
Inactive

Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array

Quote:
My sa v+ is better picturewise than the TiVo, not much better but slightly noticeable. The tech can't 'tweak' anything. There is nothing to adjust. I think it's just the upscaling hardware in the TiVo that's not as good as the sa
You could probably adjust the TV picture settings anyway to improve the picture quality
Ben B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 22:07   #40
TheDon
Inactive

TheDon has reached the bronze age
TheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
If there are tweaks or not depends on your TV really.
If your TV has a decent upscaler then you can set the box to output SD as 567p and let your TV upscale it which could give a better picture than just having Tivo upscale.
TheDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 22:14   #41
DaBoz
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Choice View Post
Please report how you get on with those tweaks.

My installer was a backup (the planned installer's van had broken down apparently) and while he had been trained on the Tivo install, it was clear with a few questions that he did not know much about the features and he seemed to be more BB experienced for installs. I noticed he did adjust some frequency settings from an engineer screen on Tivo and he had to install an equaliser as the signal was too strong, but I wonder if some other fine tuning should have been done?

May be worthwhile for me to ask for a more experienced engineer to return to see if the picture can be improved from Tivo adjustments at least.

Is your engineer the person who installed your Tivo or somebody you know in VM?
See above your post for my results. Just done some more HD live prigs, like House, Eastenders, some Sky 1 HD crime drama and all look sharpish with a still camera, but as soon as the subject or background moves, it all goes very grainy and soft.

Given up tweaking. Just hope something improves, as this is just not very good at all, especially as there aren't that many HD channels.

Boz

---------- Post added at 22:10 ---------- Previous post was at 22:09 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
If there are tweaks or not depends on your TV really.
If your TV has a decent upscaler then you can set the box to output SD as 567p and let your TV upscale it which could give a better picture than just having Tivo upscale.
That would be ok, if you could easily change the setting. Leaving your program to navigate into settings and change output each time you flip between HD and SD would be very annoying. Can't see the wife going for that.

Boz

---------- Post added at 22:14 ---------- Previous post was at 22:10 ----------

Just tried 520p to let my tv do the upscaling and that's worse.
Old 22-04-2011, 00:20   #42
gordyb
Inactive

gordyb will become famous soon enoughgordyb will become famous soon enoughgordyb will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper007 View Post
I can't comment on TIVO yet but I will say this, Samsung vs SA box are 100% identical. I owned both for a while and did a comparison test. Absolutely no difference to mine and several mates eyes in both SD and HD. Anyone who tells you otherwise is mad as they are identical.
The samsung's sd picture was useless compared to the sa v+ it was so obvious it was embaressing,i was looking forward to getting it i couldnt wait to get rid of it.
gordyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 07:07   #43
jb66
cf.mega poster

If the SA has 100% picture quality, i'd rate the samsung v+ at 95% and tivo at 90%

Still would rather have the tivo over a v+
Old 22-04-2011, 07:12   #44
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age

I agree with the comment about blurring on movement. It's almost like the picture is going momentarily out of focus. To be honest, it makes it more difficult to watch and strains the eyes.
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 07:19   #45
fixerman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 200mb Superhub 2, Two Tivo V6 1tb, one "Old" Tivo 1tb, home phone, Humax Freesat PVR.
fixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud of

I watched the snooker yesterday on BBC 2 and I thought the PQ was outstanding. Equally as good as the V+.
fixerman is offline   Reply With Quote