Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Guardian: "Sky Atlantic won't be on Virgin Media soon, says BSkyB boss"

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Guardian: "Sky Atlantic won't be on Virgin Media soon, says BSkyB boss"
Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 10:38   #31
mersey70
Inactive

Services: TV M, L BB, Sky+ HD
mersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant future
Re: Guardian: "Sky Atlantic won't be on Virgin Media soon, says BSkyB boss"

[QUOTE=muppetman11;35166512]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Erm, have I missed the link between the price increases (first one in two years) and additional content coming in April (sorry if I have).

My utility prices have gone up, but I am not getting additional electricity/gas/water for my money (same with the local bus fares - we haven't had a new bus).

What a joke of comparison I think you may find gas/water/electric must haves were as pay TV certainly isn't hence why he expects more for his increase.
I agree but I have nothing further to add. It is clear that as a fully paying customer I have no right to raise genuine concerns in the eyes of some VM staff as it is just moaning so I won't ever do so again.

But as I always do I'll still praise them when it's deserved but shut up otherwise.
Advertisement
Old 04-02-2011, 10:58   #32
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

[QUOTE=mersey70;35166513]
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post

I agree but I have nothing further to add. It is clear that as a fully paying customer I have no right to raise genuine concerns in the eyes of some VM staff as it is just moaning so I won't ever do so again.

But as I always do I'll still praise them when it's deserved but shut up otherwise.
Well it wont stop me raising genuine concerns I can assure you , Virgin do a lot of things well and this whole Sky Atlantic affair is a joke , I wish they would just forget it and concentrate on capturing other HD content after all theres lots of it out there.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:03   #33
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

A bit of a non story really..it would have been obvious to anyone with a modicum of intelligence that Sky would play this particular card.

If they had decided to offer the channel out to other providers THEN it would have been news.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:09   #34
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

As we are talking about Sky Atlantic thought I'd mention that Boardwalk Empire is being repeated on Sky 3 from Feb 13th at 9pm
Old 04-02-2011, 11:10   #35
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

[QUOTE=mersey70;35166513]
Quote:

The staff on here are very helpful and I am very grateful to them ,but I will always raise my concerns about the way there employer does or does'nt do things and you should not be put off.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:16   #36
Mobes
cf.mega poster

Mobes has reached the bronze age
Mobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
As we are talking about Sky Atlantic thought I'd mention that Boardwalk Empire is being repeated on Sky 3 from Feb 13th at 9pm
Ah now that's interesting... this could well be the shape of things to come as it will be a way of letting VM viewers watch the shows and get the advertising revs up a bit. It also would cancel out any cries of unfairness.

I realise that it's only 1 show but more delayed shows may appear...maybe...
Old 04-02-2011, 11:42   #37
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersey70 View Post

Don't see why you shouldn't raise genuine concerns (and I don't work for VM).

But there does seem to be a lot of repetitive complaining, but nothing done about it - if I was so unhappy with my service (as some people seem to be), I would have moved provider.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:44   #38
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobes View Post
Ah now that's interesting... this could well be the shape of things to come as it will be a way of letting VM viewers watch the shows and get the advertising revs up a bit. It also would cancel out any cries of unfairness.

I realise that it's only 1 show but more delayed shows may appear...maybe...
Although just been told it may be one off to tempt people into Sky Atlantic (sorry)
Old 04-02-2011, 11:45   #39
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

[QUOTE=Hugh;35166570]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mersey70 View Post

But there does seem to be a lot of repetitive complaining, but nothing done about it - if I was so unhappy with my service (as some people seem to be), I would have moved provider.
I agree with you mate , in general Im happy with my VM products I just wish VM would concentrate more on HD channels from other broadcasters rather than sky all the time.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:50   #40
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post

Worth re-quoting this.

Vote with your wallets if you're not happy.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:06   #41
WillPS
Inactive

Services: VM XXL Broadband, XL TV with V+ and L Phone
WillPS has a spectacular aura about themWillPS has a spectacular aura about themWillPS has a spectacular aura about themWillPS has a spectacular aura about them

I've got to say I think Virgin themselves have been naive here. When they sold VMTV they should have asked for 10 years carriage of all their basics, but present and future. As it stands Sky could close down all their channels, launch a load of replacements and Virgin wouldn't be automatically entitled to the replacements.

This isn't a million miles from how it actually is given that some of Atlantic's content is from Channel One!
Old 04-02-2011, 12:11   #42
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

I've said it before: VM is looking at a future in which linear TV is of little significance. They seem to believe that they can secure non-linear rights to a lot of the stuff people want to watch, quickly enough to neutralize the fact that the linear broadcast is exclusive somewhere else.

VM is focusing on making a robust, high-capacity network that will allow subscribers to get whatever content they want, whenever they want it.

Whether this is the right approach, and whether VM is doing it well enough, is another topic entirely...
Old 04-02-2011, 12:25   #43
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I've said it before: VM is looking at a future in which linear TV is of little significance. They seem to believe that they can secure non-linear rights to a lot of the stuff people want to watch, quickly enough to neutralize the fact that the linear broadcast is exclusive somewhere else.

VM is focusing on making a robust, high-capacity network that will allow subscribers to get whatever content they want, whenever they want it.

Whether this is the right approach, and whether VM is doing it well enough, is another topic entirely...
It will never happen mate people want to watch the latest now not wait until its 2 years old , just look at fans of shows like Desperate Housewives , CSI , Greys Antomy etc many avid fans go and download the latest shows from the US even before there on here hence why Sky try and show them as close to US date now. Tell me a show Virgin has in TV choice which is up to date.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:27   #44
Tod
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - Tivo, TV XL, Broadband XL, Phone XL, Mobile
Tod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to all

Well what a surprise....Sky buy all the Virgin channels, shut a few down, and create a new one and then try to charge extra for it!

Surely Virgin can have the new Sky Atlantic instead of Sky giving a discount for closing Bravo and Channel One (virgin One)!!

Oh no.....Sky make the rules as they are a monopoly!
Old 04-02-2011, 12:27   #45
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Tell me a show Virgin has in TV choice which is up to date.
Who said we are talking about TV Choice? That is designed for specific reason, not to be bang up to date