Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

TiVo
Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 16:51   #151
1981suede
Inactive

1981suede is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Tivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldavies83 View Post
Cross fingers on VIP/existing customer deals then

MediaBoy's rumoured pricing sounded good (although maybe a touch unrealistic)
Mediaboy's new customer pricing was spot on, here's hoping his existing customer pricing is just as accurate
Advertisement
Old 01-12-2010, 16:53   #152
clinteastman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media XL TV, XXL Broadband, L Phone, TiVo, V+
clinteastman has reached the bronze age
clinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooogemaflop View Post
hahahaha you gotta love the

"we're releasing it with two tuners, however there will be three in the new year. Does this mean a new box or does it already have three and we'll just be doing a software update to enable it? - this will be a software update"

This means the software is not ready yet. It is not fully working and imo will be released with beta software
I'm guessing that there will be such a small amount of installes before the update roll out in the new year (and is probably why its a soft roll out in the first place) that it will not make too much difference.
Old 01-12-2010, 17:01   #153
ahardie

Services: XL tv/L internet, Tivo(1Tb.), SA V+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooogemaflop View Post
hahahaha you gotta love the

"we're releasing it with two tuners, however there will be three in the new year. Does this mean a new box or does it already have three and we'll just be doing a software update to enable it? - this will be a software update"

This means the software is not ready yet. It is not fully working and imo will be released with beta software
A bit like the new Sky boxes you mean. Hopefully as this is tivo software it is tried and tested and unlike the afore mentioned boxes will work. Like somebody pointed out the existing tivo boxes only have two tuners and this could be why. It's very rare for software to be rolled out without bugs anyway and features are often added after roll out.

Old 01-12-2010, 17:05   #154
hammered
Inactive

Services: 10MB BB (although it's sometimes only 2MB)
hammered is on a distinguished roadhammered is on a distinguished road

My honest opinion to the TIVO box... Sure it looks nice, but is the GUI as quick as what it shows in the blurb (we'l have to wait and see for that). Companys are well known for showing false GUI's speeding them up or shortening sequences...
As to the pricing... sheesh! You guys that are already to jump straight in there must have far too much money on their hands. What are you getting for that £200? Not a lot from what it looks like to me apart from another TV box, to which you already have most of the tech now.

The web aspect... not worth it IMHO, why would you want to go trawling around You tube, eBay and others from your TV, when normally you do this on your laptops, whilst watching your TV!

The on demand, well if its like what is already there, then the majority of people won't use most of it anyway, just like they already don't. On demand is full of old stuff which most people never watch. It's only the TV stations own on demand stuff which gets used the most.

TIVO was launched a long, long time ago in technology standards and it died it's death very quickly over here, why? Because it was way too expensive. The usual thing of the US trying to make us pay through the nose for goods (a la that well known fruit make of tech gear)!

I'm already paying £100/month to VM, I'm certainly not going to pay even more for stuff you can't even use or for stuff you already get via the BB service. I'm not into this 3D stuff it's still in it's infancy, so unless you go out and spend another grand or so on a new TV it's usless having that tech. I know this is what happened with HD, but HD tech came thick and fast, it won't be the same with 3D and who wants to sit there having to watch TV with glasses on all the time.

It's all very pomp and pomposity to me. Sure I want to get rid of my terrible AS box, who doesn't! But I'm not going to part with another £200 just to get another box which I won't use most of the features on it...
It seems to be a lot of stuff you can't or won't use for an awful lot of extra money...

Just my opinion on it, so wheres the flamers??? lol
Old 01-12-2010, 17:21   #155
vanman
cf.mega poster

Services: Sky
vanman has reached the bronze age
vanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze age

Quote:
The web aspect... not worth it IMHO, why would you want to go trawling around You tube, eBay and others from your TV, when normally you do this on your laptops, whilst watching your TV!
well the way i see it some people only have the internet to see there emails.
facebook and stuff so if they get the tivo they dont have to pay out for an internet connection
Old 01-12-2010, 17:24   #156
ahardie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammered View Post
...snip

I'm already paying £100/month to VM, I'm certainly not going to pay even more for stuff you can't even use or for stuff you already get via the BB service. I'm not into this 3D stuff it's still in it's infancy, so unless you go out and spend another grand or so on a new TV it's usless having that tech. I know this is what happened with HD, but HD tech came thick and fast, it won't be the same with 3D and who wants to sit there having to watch TV with glasses on all the time.

It's all very pomp and pomposity to me. Sure I want to get rid of my terrible AS box, who doesn't! But I'm not going to part with another £200 just to get another box which I won't use most of the features on it...
It seems to be a lot of stuff you can't or won't use for an awful lot of extra money...

Just my opinion on it, so wheres the flamers??? lol
Your opinion is as valid as anybodies but as for price I wonder how people manage to pay £100 every month for tv/broadband etc. Everybody has a different concept of value for money. If you are paying that much though you might find it is a lot less than £200 anyway as final discounts haven't been announced.

Old 01-12-2010, 17:33   #157
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahardie View Post
Your opinion is as valid as anybodies but as for price I wonder how people manage to pay £100 every month for tv/broadband etc. Everybody has a different concept of value for money. If you are paying that much though you might find it is a lot less than £200 anyway as final discounts haven't been announced.
The will be no discounted prices for a while as per 50Mb so do not think for one second that upon release anyone will get this box at a discount price, you want one then you pay £200 plus £40 activation and that price will be at that level for a good while.
Old 01-12-2010, 17:35   #158
vanman
cf.mega poster

vanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
The will be no discounted prices for a while as per 50Mb so do not think for one second that upon release anyone will get this box at a discount price, you want one then you pay £200 plus £40 activation and that price will be at that level for a good while.
apart from
Quote:
are there going to be any deals for vip customers? - we're working on that - we'll release details in the coming weeks
Old 01-12-2010, 17:36   #159
clinteastman
Inactive

clinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
apart from
Where is that quote from, as in source?
Old 01-12-2010, 17:36   #160
ahardie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
Ah this is news to me I thought we were hearing that price was dependent on which package you subscribe to. That was said just today from the VM sofa I think (whatever that is).

Old 01-12-2010, 17:36   #161
Doz007
cf.geek

Services: VM 200Mb BB, Sky Q Silver 2TB
Doz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
I hope your view about discounts turns out to be correct because I agree with hammered in that after already paying £100 per month already, another £200 for the TiVo box becomes a very hard sell. Now if media boys predictions turn out to be spot on I will be welcoming TiVo into my home with open arms!
Old 01-12-2010, 17:38   #162
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammered View Post
What are you getting for that £200? Not a lot from what it looks like to me apart from another TV box, to which you already have most of the tech now.
ITB hard drive, ITB hard drive, ITB hard drive....

Because of all these new HD channels recording space is a big limitation of the SA box to me.

OK, that's expensive for a 1T hard disc, but how else are you going to get it?

Spotify is rumoured to be coming to the TIVO, which I'd love (it'd save on my Napster cost) and more things like that.

Some of the new functions like search and suggested programmes aren't exactly necessary; neither is my single Harmony remote over 10 single remotes, but it's great to have these things and you'd never go back once you've had the convienience of them!
Old 01-12-2010, 17:39   #163
Doz007
cf.geek

Services: VM 200Mb BB, Sky Q Silver 2TB
Doz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Ah this is news to me I thought we were hearing that price was dependent on which package you subscribe to. That was said just today from the VM sofa I think (whatever that is).
Yeah, thats exactly what I read earlier. It was mentioned in the 'coming soon' thread iirc.
Old 01-12-2010, 17:42   #164
vanman
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinteastman View Post
Where is that quote from, as in source?
from the sofa http://www.alex-brown.co.uk/2010_09_01_archive.html
i went to london to see it
Quote:
Quote:
Update from the sofa
some addition faqs below, in case anyone was wondering: are there going to be any deals for vip customers? - we're working on that - we'll release details in the coming weeks
we're releasing it with two tuners, however there will be three in the new year. Does this mean a new box or does it already have three and we'll just be doing a software update to enable it? - this will be a software update
will we be making any changes to our v+ and v hd software? - we won't be stopping development on the existing boxes - both products will coexist for the time being,
when will tivo be demoed in our retail shops so people can see it in action? - initially it will be demoed in the oxford st and westfield stores only across jan/feb 2011, all other retail stores will be enabled with the roll-out plan still being worked through for when these will start.
any news on prices for those of us who already subscribe? - there is additional pricing, including discounts for various groups of existing customers which will be revealed in the coming weeks
when tivo first launches with two tuners will be able to record two programmes at once, or only be able to record one and watch one other at the same time? - it will be able to record two, but you will have to 'watch' one of them, until the third tuner is activated, which will be early 2011
Old 01-12-2010, 17:45   #165
clinteastman
Inactive

Quote:
from the sofa http://www.alex-brown.co.uk/2010_09_01_archive.html
i went to london to see it
Thanks.
Closed Thread