Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ITV1 HD on Virgin

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

ITV1 HD on Virgin

Old 14-03-2010, 02:13   #61
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Re: ITV1 HD on Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrotnig View Post
I've got several tellies here, the others are all CRT. The best picture of all of them if a widescreen Philips CRT, using the second ntl box which is a Samsung non-HD box. I'd go as far as to say the SD picture on that is superior to the supposed HD picture I get on the V+ box.

I think this has something to do with wearing glasses. HD pictures look pixellated to me. In fact so does any picture on a flat screen, including on computers. CRT pictures look *loads* better.
it could be that!

HD obviously doesn't work for you.... have you seen any Blu-ray films/programmes?
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-03-2010, 02:17   #62
scrotnig
cf.mega poster

scrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appeal
scrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
it could be that!

HD obviously doesn't work for you.... have you seen any Blu-ray films/programmes?
No - not tried that. I only have a standard DVD player and to be honest I'm not minded to go any higher up. I can't even make that work properly and generally end up using VHS for recording stuff. My V+ box is almost full but it won't export to DVD so I have to keep pruning things.

I read that wearing glasses magnifies the picture to such an extent that it looks pixellated. Not sure if this is true, but either way I have seen several HD setups & not been impressed, and regard it very much as an "emperor's new clothes" technology.
Old 14-03-2010, 02:24   #63
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
No - not tried that. I only have a standard DVD player and to be honest I'm not minded to go any higher up. I can't even make that work properly and generally end up using VHS for recording stuff. My V+ box is almost full but it won't export to DVD so I have to keep pruning things.

I read that wearing glasses magnifies the picture to such an extent that it looks pixellated. Not sure if this is true, but either way I have seen several HD setups & not been impressed, and regard it very much as an "emperor's new clothes" technology.
Fair enough.. each to their own and all that

I personally find it (HD) great for wildlife documentaries and movies... the detail is lovely.
Old 14-03-2010, 10:41   #64
Buffalo2102
Inactive

Buffalo2102 will become famous soon enoughBuffalo2102 will become famous soon enoughBuffalo2102 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Glasses shouldn't magnify anything - they are just supposed to correct the focus of your eyes. Whoever wrote what you read was talking rubbish.
I wear glasses and find HD to be a vast improvement over SD, with no pixellation at all.
Still, if it doesn't float your boat then fair enough.
Buffalo2102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 10:49   #65
zantarous
www.magicorptech.blogspot

Services: V.I.P
zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one

I wear glasses and find HD to be vast improvment over SD too. The difference between FX and FXHD is staggering.
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 11:29   #66
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

ITV1 HD is to broadcast only in England and Wales.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 11:31   #67
Buffalo2102
Inactive

Buffalo2102 will become famous soon enoughBuffalo2102 will become famous soon enoughBuffalo2102 will become famous soon enough

So far......I believe talks are ongoing.
Buffalo2102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 13:00   #68
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo2102 View Post
So far......I believe talks are ongoing.
Let's hope ITV/STV sort it out for our Scottish viewers!
Old 14-03-2010, 18:29   #69
tvtimes
Inactive

Services: Sky entertainment, kids and HD package, Sky Fibre Unlimited broadband, XBOX one, PS4 and Android box
tvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant future

The scots only want it so they can see England get beat in the world cup in HD!
tvtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 18:30   #70
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvtimes View Post
How did you know that LOL.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 18:40   #71
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvtimes View Post
Another stereo type i need to correct.

Not everyone in Scotland watches the world cup just to see England get beat...there are other games i want to see as well

But was looking forward to seeing it in glorious HD
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 20:50   #72
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
ITV1 HD is to broadcast only in England and Wales.
ITV1-HD will be broadcast free-to-air from Astra 2D, so anyone with a FTA satellite box will be able to see it, wherever in the UK they are.

On Freesat it will be on channel 119. If Freesat take a stupid backwards step and prevent it being added to their EPG on boxes that have a Scottish or Ulster postcode as their location identifier, it will still be possible to tune it as a non-Freesat channel and add it to the EPG that way. This is also possible on Sky boxes although the listings for non-Sky-epg channels are not as user friendly as they are on Freesat boxes, which allow you to add them to the main EPG listing.

So I'd say STV is about to find out whether or not its viewers appreciate its decision, on their behalf, to deny them a chunk of network programming in favour of 'locally sourced' gash made in their tin shed at Pacific Quay.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 21:00   #73
LondonRoad
Inactive

Services: 30mb BB, XL TV, V+, TiVo, talk unlimited.
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star

If I watch ITV output on ch853 (ITVAD) rather than STV, does that reduce STV's advertising revenue?
LondonRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 21:02   #74
Nook29
Inactive

Services: Virgin XL TV, V+, 10mb broadband, phone
Nook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonRoad View Post
If I watch ITV output on ch853 (ITVAD) rather than STV, does that reduce STV's advertising revenue?
No, you personally don't have any effect on a channels ad revenue.
Nook29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 21:10   #75
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonRoad View Post
Only if you're a member of the BARB viewing panel.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote