Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin TV
Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 16:56   #751
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by cablestrider View Post
unless they've always had that space at one side juuuust incase of the sky situation? Or does all this lead back to the analogue problem again?
both they had space available for sky if it ever came back which it is now, and there also te analogue problem, there a third thing but i aint goign into it if someoen else want sot then that fine
Advertisement
Old 12-11-2008, 17:08   #752
Felim_Doyle
cf.geek

Services: Digital TV XL TiVo 500MB, Broadband 100Mb SuperHub, Telephone XXL
Felim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of society
Send a message via ICQ to Felim_Doyle Send a message via AIM to Felim_Doyle Send a message via MSN to Felim_Doyle Send a message via Yahoo to Felim_Doyle
Exclamation Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcrawford23 View Post
both they had space available for sky if it ever came back which it is now, and there also te analogue problem, there a third thing but i aint goign into it if someoen else want sot then that fine
Do you mean they want the capacity for Broadband?

---------- Post added at 16:08 ---------- Previous post was at 16:06 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felim_Doyle View Post
It's amazing how much the Total Channels/Total Services and TS Streams vary between ex-NTL and ex-Telewest and also between different areas. There's even a difference between upstairs and downstairs in Media Boy's house. I presume the differences are to do with the different franchises that were originally absorbed into NTL and Telewest (and now Virgin Media) and the variety of headend UBR equipment each used. Please feel free to correct any misuse of the terminology.
Oh and there's the issue of the phasing out of analogue at different rates in different areas too.
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK
Old 12-11-2008, 17:12   #753
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felim_Doyle View Post
Do you mean they want the capacity for Broadband?

---------- Post added at 16:08 ---------- Previous post was at 16:06 ----------

Oh and there's the issue of the phasing out of analogue at different rates in different areas too.
ABout the analogue yes sort of, but there anoteh reason why there apparntly capicaty problems and oyu hit it on the head the different rates of shut down
Old 12-11-2008, 17:29   #754
oddfinger
Inactive

Services: Virgin XL TV, 2 mb Broadband
oddfinger is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting post on VMHD blogspot:-

It's been an exciting November for us Virgin Media customers; the return of Sky basics, a decent last quarter, an important postponement in the debt burden for the company and some interesting presentations on the back of the results including some insights into the strategic direction the company's heading in.
Unfortunately the headlines today are all about the staff reduction to be completed by 2012 which means it's a very worrying outlook for many of the VM workforce - as someone who works in the media, I'm sorry to report that this news is not so unusual these days (my own company has just announced it is shedding 10% of positions stateside before the end of the year). Tough times.
Yesterday Berkett and the management team at Virgin made a very interesting presentation to NY investors. It's long, but well worth a read, especially as for the first time Virgin are announcing they're going to improve their HD offering. Almost 100 slides in all, but an interesting read - here's the URL for those who have the time, and here are some headlines relevant to HD (my emphasis in bold):

Strategic growth initiatives mean capex expected to be at top end of 13-15% guidance range
– Targeting 10Mb growth, intelligently expanding our network, strengthening TV, DPI, behavioural advertising, leveraging mobile

Levelling the linear content playing field versus Sky
– Possible regulatory intervention from Ofcom Market Investigation
– Economic wholesale access to premium
– Access to Premium HD
– Return of Sky Basics
– Largely funded through increase in VMtv licence payments
– Plan to add linear HD channels

Creating linear parity following the return of Sky basics
• Exploit our VOD superiority
• Grow penetration of our best-in-class DVR service
• Build our HD offering
• Enhance the TV interface
• Regulatory progress on premium offers significant opportunity
– Today less than 20% TV subs take premium at negative margin

Strengthen L and XL TV to improve mix and ARPU
– TV interface and infrastructure enhancement
– Differentiate TV service
– VOD advertising
– Expand content incl HD

Although they seem to be pinning some hope on Sky HD channels being made available after next year's OFCOM review conclusions on the pay TV market, they're promising to increase the linear HD offering - that's the first time I've seen that stated to investors - hurrah!
In addition there's a hint as to an upgrade to the EPG interface, which I've posted in the two posts below (sorry, a restriction of the blogging tool I use).
It's been a very quiet year on the HD front at Virgin, but this suggests that 2009 really will see some big improvements. Exciting times indeed...
Old 12-11-2008, 17:43   #755
lemarsh
cf.geek

lemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddfinger View Post
Interesting post on VMHD blogspot:-
Yesterday Berkett and the management team at Virgin made a very interesting presentation to NY investors. It's long, but well worth a read, especially as for the first time Virgin are announcing they're going to improve their HD offering. Almost 100 slides in all, but an interesting read - here's the URL for those who have the time, and here are some headlines relevant to HD (my emphasis in bold):
No URL - did it get blocked?

edit - sorry, just realised you were copying the post.

Here is the URL mentioned from the original post. Don't believe there is any issue over confidentiality etc.

http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_...mber112008.pdf
Old 12-11-2008, 17:43   #756
Richupton
Inactive

Richupton is an unknown quantity at this point

ESPN Classic?

Is there any danger of this channel coming to Virgin Media anytime soon?
Old 12-11-2008, 17:45   #757
oddfinger
Inactive

Services: Virgin XL TV, 2 mb Broadband
oddfinger is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemarsh View Post
No URL - did it get blocked?
I got this through VMHDblogspot so you'll have to go there to see URL.
Old 12-11-2008, 18:13   #758
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

The URL posted above should work fine - when Oddfinger copied the text from my blog it didn't pick up the URL or formatting information. I don't think Cable Forum blocks URL with the same vigour that DS does - on this forum I think they appreciate that most posters here are trying to inform by using URLs.
It's not a confidential presentation and can be found (along with a recording of the full thing) on Virgin's own site:
http://investors.virginmedia.com/pho...onsVirginMedia
Old 13-11-2008, 01:20   #759
Felim_Doyle
cf.geek

Services: Digital TV XL TiVo 500MB, Broadband 100Mb SuperHub, Telephone XXL
Felim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of society
Send a message via ICQ to Felim_Doyle Send a message via AIM to Felim_Doyle Send a message via MSN to Felim_Doyle Send a message via Yahoo to Felim_Doyle
Exclamation Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV

Well, it's Thursday 13th and no sign of the Sky basic channels yet. I suppose they'll turn up at 06:00 along with the updated EPG.
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK
Old 13-11-2008, 01:25   #760
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

They are showing on the EPG of my V+. Sky 1 is showing it's first programme as Good Morning at 6am to-day.
Old 13-11-2008, 01:31   #761
BexTech
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media Cable TV (1TB Tivo) & Net, 120cm motorized satellite system.
BexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
They are showing on the EPG of my V+. Sky 1 is showing it's first programme as Good Morning at 6am to-day.
Same here, been showing 06:00 for the Sky channels.
Old 13-11-2008, 01:45   #762
SB_07
Inactive

Services: V+ XL/20MB BB.
SB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation eraSB_07 has entered a golden reputation era

Same here@EPG on V+.
Old 13-11-2008, 08:38   #763
huxleypiguk
Inactive

huxleypiguk is a glorious beacon of lighthuxleypiguk is a glorious beacon of lighthuxleypiguk is a glorious beacon of lighthuxleypiguk is a glorious beacon of lighthuxleypiguk is a glorious beacon of lighthuxleypiguk is a glorious beacon of lighthuxleypiguk is a glorious beacon of light

Which bit of the "8am" part of the announcement did we not get ???
Old 13-11-2008, 08:43   #764
moaningmags
Inactive

Services: 20mb, Tv, Phone
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array

No sign of them here either, rebooted my box and there they are.
Old 13-11-2008, 08:57   #765
huxleypiguk
Inactive

huxleypiguk is a glorious beacon of lighthuxleypiguk is a glorious beacon of lighthuxleypiguk is a glorious beacon of lighthuxleypiguk is a glorious beacon of lighthuxleypiguk is a glorious beacon of lighthuxleypiguk is a glorious beacon of lighthuxleypiguk is a glorious beacon of light

Hmm, they have turned them on early, the announcements said from 8am yet they are all on here in CF.

Oh well, they are back.
Closed Thread