Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | EXPLODING lightbulbs

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

EXPLODING lightbulbs

Old 24-03-2005, 19:10   #31
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 V6 running 360. 500mb BB, Phone line, mobile simm.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
Re: EXPLODING lightbulbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombini
I saw a tip to use a potato, shove it into it, twist & remove.

Although given the moisture in it, best to switch off first
But isn't that a tuber, not a bulb.
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-03-2005, 19:31   #32
Theodoric
Inactive

Theodoric has reached the bronze age
Theodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by iadom
I think the idea is that you stick an iron nail and a piece of copper wire into the potato to make a battery to power the bulb. Or possibly not!

And if you need a few more volts, you can always start singing, "One potato, two potato, three potato, four."
Theodoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2005, 19:46   #33
bopdude
Inactive

bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to bopdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by iadom
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombini
I saw a tip to use a potato, shove it into it, twist & remove.

Although given the moisture in it, best to switch off first
Ok, I've resisted this all the way through, but since you've brought it up, here goes, the proper name is an electric lighting lamp, a bulb is something that grows in the garden, way the manufactures insist on calling them bulbs I'll never know
bopdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2005, 20:01   #34
Dave Stones
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband Option 3, BT Landline, Freeview
Dave Stones has reached the bronze age
Dave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to Dave Stones

its the shape they sort of resemble bulbs... sort of...

honest guv...
Dave Stones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2005, 20:21   #35
yesman

Try and use lamps with the CE mark on them, but I think even that is a bit of a lottery these days.
Old 24-03-2005, 20:23   #36
allieyoung666
Permanently Banned

Services: whats that??
allieyoung666 has reached the bronze age
allieyoung666 has reached the bronze ageallieyoung666 has reached the bronze ageallieyoung666 has reached the bronze ageallieyoung666 has reached the bronze ageallieyoung666 has reached the bronze ageallieyoung666 has reached the bronze ageallieyoung666 has reached the bronze ageallieyoung666 has reached the bronze age

Just change the thing!!!!!! I wouldnt muck about, I imagine buxom woman would go mad!!!!
allieyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2005, 20:26   #37
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by allieyoung666
Just change the thing!!!!!! I wouldnt muck about, I imagine buxom woman would go mad!!!!
I changed it this morning - I did say so in my first post

Buxom Woman would probably enjoy seeing me toasting if I did it wrong. She's got a weird/warped sense of humour.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2005, 20:32   #38
allieyoung666
Permanently Banned

Services: whats that??
allieyoung666 has reached the bronze age
allieyoung666 has reached the bronze ageallieyoung666 has reached the bronze ageallieyoung666 has reached the bronze ageallieyoung666 has reached the bronze ageallieyoung666 has reached the bronze ageallieyoung666 has reached the bronze ageallieyoung666 has reached the bronze ageallieyoung666 has reached the bronze age

Like me then who takes great delight in watching Paul getting toasted before he asks me to swich the leccy off!!!!!
allieyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2005, 22:31   #39
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by allieyoung666
Like me then who takes great delight in watching Paul getting toasted before he asks me to swich the leccy off!!!!!

aye you did chuckle last time i did it didnt you

for the record , this idiot disconnected a light switch that was knackered and then went to change it later , the only problem was , the idiot forgot to turn the power off again , to say the least
paulyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2005, 23:05   #40
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Stones
its the shape they sort of resemble bulbs... sort of...

honest guv...
I concur. In Dutch they are called 'pears', presumably due to the resemblance in shape. In dilli's case this term appears to be more appropriate than bulbs, as his are definitely pear-shaped (His bulbs, obviously)
Old 24-03-2005, 23:27   #41
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

I'm guessing that the glass to metal seal fails, and causes the bulb to blow.

Only ever seen one go at switch on, and I recall a couple of cheap ones dropping the glass - it does put you off cheap bulbs!

Most are now either CFL or circular standard flourescent - always found it to be a better light than ordinary bulbs - which look quite yellow when you're used to CFL
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2005, 00:39   #42
greencreeper
Inactive

Services: Email me for a current price list
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star

I have a scar on my right foot where a piece of glass from the bathroom lightbulb cut it. I was only a nipper. The dangers of steam

I use energy saving bulbs. Some of them are dodgy - I've had blown fuses before now.
greencreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2005, 01:35   #43
kronas
Inactive

kronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronze
kronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronze

judging from this thread im glad we dont use cheap bulbs in out house, i have always deemed the cheaper ones to be unsafe, i guess i was right, i think ill be trying to stick to the 'GE' brand ones...
kronas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2005, 07:50   #44
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronas
judging from this thread im glad we dont use cheap bulbs in out house, i have always deemed the cheaper ones to be unsafe, i guess i was right, i think ill be trying to stick to the 'GE' brand ones...
Certainly looks that way.

By the way wha't s GE one? 'Great Exploder' (Like the ones I've already got)

or did you mean CE? (crap exploder)
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2005, 08:03   #45
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf1701
Certainly looks that way.

By the way wha't s GE one? 'Great Exploder' (Like the ones I've already got)

or did you mean CE? (crap exploder)

it might be a general electric branded one , only maybe though
paulyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote