Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Rate the last movie you saw

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Film & Cinema

Rate the last movie you saw

Old 05-05-2017, 09:46   #4801
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Is it as good as the first film?.
100 times better.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-05-2017, 08:03   #4802
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I thought it was, and very funny.
Usually sequels disappoint but from all accounts this one certainly won't.

---------- Post added at 07:03 ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
100 times better.
Probably a slight exaggeration but l believe you.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:50   #4803
ThunderPants73
cf.mega poster

Services: BB & PHONE
ThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond repute

Guardians of the Galaxy 2

7/10 Not as good as the first, dragged on quite a bit in some places. Not much of a plot. Hopefully 3 will be better. Drax was funny though.

---------- Post added at 10:50 ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 ----------

Quote:
l have heard its pretty good although some critics don't seem to like it that much.
The only two things that would have tempted me to watch Ghost in the Shell is if they used the musical score from the the original movie (which was stunning) and used ANYONE ELSE but SJ, she looks like a blow-up doll. IMO.
ThunderPants73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 16:20   #4804
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Fast & Furious 8 7/10

Mostly enjoyable but I think they are making some of the action scenes a bit too OTT and they are totally unbelievable now.
Old 09-05-2017, 14:51   #4805
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Fast & Furious 8 7/10
I think they are making some of the action scenes a bit too OTT and they are totally unbelievable now.
I thought that 4 films ago I did think it looked stupid when I saw the trailer and was umming and arring about seeing it at the cinema but seeming as though I get to go for free I thought why now. I actually thought it was very and agree with your 7/10. It is just an excellent action packed and entertaining film and tries to do nothing more. I came out of the cinema with a smile on my face and thinking and I had just seen a film which I thoroughly enjoyed. It isn't one of those films which you get emotionally invested in don't really care about the characters (well I don't anyway), I just accept it for what it is and enjoy the entertainment value.

As an example looking back at the films I have seen this year and last year, I would put it on par with John Wick 2, Kong: Skull Island, Jack Reacher 2 and The Accountant.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:35   #4806
General Maximus
Ran Away

Alien: Covenant: 5/10

It is okay as a generic sci-fi action but it is by far my least favourite out of all the Alien films purely because of how unrealistic the whole story is and it just spoils the movie.
I have harped on in multiple threads many times before about how "realistic" something is and for me to enjoy it it has to be realistic. Now when I say realistic, I am not talking about the premise of the world/situation because stuff like Aliens obviously doesn't exist. When I talk about realism I am talking about the character's behaviour. If they do something or react to something which you know just wouldn't happen and they do it for the sake of the plot then it is unrealistic and I can't enjoy the film because it wouldn't happen. This is why I don't like most horror movies because you always have some idiot hearing a noise and walking into a pitch black building/room/corridor unarmed when two of their friends have already been killed so they can find out what the noise is.
With regards to this film, a colossal series of failures and lapses in judgement had to occur at every level in order for the story to pan out the way it did.

Before I start let me make a point. Think of the vetting process, screening and training NASA pilot/astronauts go through for years before any mission and all the rules and protocols in place so they know exactly what to do in the event of any situation.

Spoiler: 
At the beginning of Aliens the very first thing Daniels says to the captain when they find the planet is "we have spent 10 years searching for our planet, taken scans etc etc" so if you had spent all that time searching for a planet, taking scans and making sure it was safe you, surely you wouldn't take the risk of landing on some random planet, especially when your goal is to setup up a colony to propagate the human species and the planet you are looking at has potential signs of life.
After this point everything is just failures in security and quarantine protocol. From the get go when the first dude became ill the captain should have told Covenant to leave. I'll let the quarantine breach go on the drop ship when the pilot opened the door because the ship exploded and they all died anyway. As soon as that happened even Daniels should have stepped up for the sake of the greater mission and instructed the ship to abandon them. We are up to two command failures so far. Putting self preservation aside on the part of the ground crew, the third in command on Covenant knowing what was happening should have left them and continued with the mission. He failed to do so and put his personal feelings first but even then, the forth officer should have used common sense and not provided override authority to put the ship into lower orbit. Command failures at four levels which just wouldn't happen!
After all this, when the third in command piloted the cargo ship to the ground for evac and the alien jumps on board, he should have crashed the ship knowing that the alien posed an unacceptable risk to the mission and Covenant. Even if he didn't think about it, Daniels should have made the decision and basically said "we have done our best and failed and now it is time to do the right thing".

There are a couple of other things which bugged me but I won't dwell on them. Given the massive security risk/threat David posed, why didn't Daniels at the very least ask Walter "what happened to David?" when they got back?

Anways, rant over I have seen quite a few films this year that I had little niggles with but didn't bug me enough to moan about them, especially not enough to do it as soon as I got home and at 3 in the morning but this just does my head in.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:35   #4807
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Personally l don't think any of the Alien films since the first one have matched up to that wonderful classic General.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:52   #4808
General Maximus
Ran Away

Aliens is my favourite. Going back to this "realism" thing, I don't enjoy watching any film where a group of untrained civilians with no weaponry has to survive/compete against a formidable foe, especially one of the ultimate bad asses of all time (aliens). I love Aliens so much (even out of most sci-fi/horror films in general) because you have got a group of highly trained marines with all the weaponry they want trying to kick ass and survive. They do their very best and still don't make it but it is still more realistic a story for me to watch. If you have got a group of civilians or scientists up against them then I don't need to watch the film because I can tell you what is going to happen .
Although the more recent AvP and Predators films got a hammering I love them purely for this reason, especially Predators. You have got a group of people put together specifically to give the Predators a run for their money.
Old 12-05-2017, 14:05   #4809
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Personally l don't think any of the Alien films since the first one have matched up to that wonderful classic General.
Actually, I thought the second one (Aliens) was the best of them.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 14:34   #4810
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Actually, I thought the second one (Aliens) was the best of them.
Yes it was not too bad as it certainly had more action in but l loved the claustrophobic tense feel of the first film a bit more.
Old 13-05-2017, 02:53   #4811
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

The fate of the furious. 8/10

Solidifies itself as the premium action franchise if that's your thing.
Old 13-05-2017, 06:37   #4812
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzii_nufc View Post
The fate of the furious. 8/10

Solidifies itself as the premium action franchise if that's your thing.
Personally its fine and alright to watch but l need a bit more then that when l am watching a film.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:39   #4813
General Maximus
Ran Away

Wonder Woman is really really good and I strongly recommend it. I have been racking my brains big time on the way back from the cinema trying to decide how to score it. In terms of how impressed I was I really wanted to give it an 8/10 but then when I started to put it along side Marvel films I realised it was missing a little something.

It knocks the socks off all the other DC movies big time and Gal Gadot's performance is superb. The conviction and innocence she brings to the characters is amazing and she literally makes the film what it is and it is for this reason I wanted to score it so highly.

I have never seen the tv series so I knew nothing of the story or character and when I saw the trailers for the movie I was worried it was going to be a Captain America rip off (I don't know which one came first). The story is definitely different enough that it can stand on its own as this is more mythological and has gods in it which is interesting. The only reason I can't give it an 8/10 is because Marval always manage to strike the perfect balance between the drama and serious story line and yet slip in some genuinely hilarious comedic moments. They try it in Wonder Woman and it doesn't really work. I feel it deserves more than 7/10 though so it is going to get a solid 7.5/10 and I am definitely going to see it a few more times at the cinema.

Quite sadly though (for Wonder Woman/Gal Gadot) I think DC have shot themselves in the foot. I have been to many midnight premieres for the Star Treks, Star Wars, all the Marvel movies plus more over the years and this was the least busy I have been to. There were three 2d performances and two 3d performances scheduled for midnight and they consolidated them to one screen each. There were only 7 people including myself in the 3d showing and about 100 in the 2d apparently. I hope it isn't a sign of things to come because this film is well worth the watch. Poor ticket sales might give DC a kick up the ass and teach them a lesson on how to do things properly (i.e. you don't do ensemble cast movies before the origin stories) but I really hope they do a second movie in the present.

One little gripe as DC is obviously playing catch up.; they are once again copying Marvel and have done their own 3D logo at the beginning of the film with the DC universe characters on it. It loses its impact because you look at it and think "you have copied Marvel and the Marvel one is better".

for Gal Gadot
Old 01-06-2017, 07:57   #4814
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Wonder Woman first appeared in October 1941. I think Captain America first appeared in March 1941.

Their backatories are of course titally different so don't think they can be compared.
Old 01-06-2017, 18:20   #4815
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I hope 3D dies a death, its horrible and I wont watch anything that uses it.

Went to the cinema over here as they did a special English screening of the new Pirates of the Caribbean.

It was better than expected and much better than the last one, 6.5 / 10.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote