Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | S4C HD

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

S4C HD

Old 09-01-2017, 21:59   #16
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: S4C HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
Its on Sky & FREESAT, which S4C pays for in one transaction direct with the satellite operator, plus a nominal charge to appear in the EPG's of the platforms mentioned.

S4C HD is not available on Freeview due to capacity restrictions (the slot it would use on PSB3 is allocated to Channel 4 HD in the whole of the UK).

More than likely its not on VM due to cost. As mentioned before, VM coverage in Wales is very limited for what S4C would have to pay out to add HD to the platform.
I agree, as I don't think that it's for technical or capacity reasons. The feed was present off the EPG all the time when it wasn't made available for the football matches.

I'm surprised that it would cost VM anything to carry it though, aren't all PSB channels carried on a cost neautral basis??
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-01-2017, 12:37   #17
smallclone
cf.geek

Services: M tv Broadband 150Mb/s. Superhub 3 V6
smallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Its on Sky & FREESAT, which S4C pays for in one transaction direct with the satellite operator, plus a nominal charge to appear in the EPG's of the platforms mentioned.

S4C HD is not available on Freeview due to capacity restrictions (the slot it would use on PSB3 is allocated to Channel 4 HD in the whole of the UK).

More than likely its not on VM due to cost. As mentioned before, VM coverage in Wales is very limited for what S4C would have to pay out to add HD to the platform.
I see, thanks. It's extremely frustrating though that it's on SKY and not VirginMedia. I pay a hefty sum each month for my tv package, yet Freesat users get this channel and I don't. I tweeted them and in fairness they did respond saying they are looking into the possibility of it coming to VM.
smallclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 13:26   #18
rhyds
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Phone/BB, Freesat, VM Business BB (Cable)
rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute

S4C's always been a bit poor at aiming its HD services on to the right platforms.

For example, in 2010 they had their HD service on freeview only. The problem was that S4C's main audience is in rural North, Mid and West Wales, where freeview (let alone HD) was near enough impossible to receive at the time, so many were using satellite instead. It didn't last that long.

Now however freeview HD is more widespread and covers all areas where freeview is available, but S4C aren't on it yet. It would have made much more sense to reverse the plan and roll out on satellite first, and then freeview.
rhyds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 00:11   #19
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I agree, as I don't think that it's for technical or capacity reasons. The feed was present off the EPG all the time when it wasn't made available for the football matches.

I'm surprised that it would cost VM anything to carry it though, aren't all PSB channels carried on a cost neautral basis??
While the powers that be have seen fit to offer S4C SD PSB capacity on Freeview (which they inheritied from analogue), this was never extended to HD coverage & was never included in network planning. So while you could say the SD version of the channel is classed as a PSB channel, if OFCOM doesn't treat the HD version as such, then no-one else is obliged to either.

---------- Post added at 23:11 ---------- Previous post was at 23:02 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyds View Post
S4C's always been a bit poor at aiming its HD services on to the right platforms.

For example, in 2010 they had their HD service on freeview only. The problem was that S4C's main audience is in rural North, Mid and West Wales, where freeview (let alone HD) was near enough impossible to receive at the time, so many were using satellite instead. It didn't last that long.

Now however freeview HD is more widespread and covers all areas where freeview is available, but S4C aren't on it yet. It would have made much more sense to reverse the plan and roll out on satellite first, and then freeview.
I think its more a case of can't than won't. The only HD capacity available on Freeview ATM is on Mux 7 & 8. Only 3 transmitters in the whole of Wales have channel allocations for these muxes due to ITU restrictions imposed to protect Ireland's "airspace". These only cover SE & NE Wales. Mux 7 & 8 are also UK wide licences, so would require S4C to provide its HD service to the whole of the UK.

Last edited by nodrogd; 12-01-2017 at 00:16.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 01:00   #20
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilincarnate View Post
Eurotrash is coming back
That's a bonus.............
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 16:19   #21
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
While the powers that be have seen fit to offer S4C SD PSB capacity on Freeview (which they inheritied from analogue), this was never extended to HD coverage & was never included in network planning. So while you could say the SD version of the channel is classed as a PSB channel, if OFCOM doesn't treat the HD version as such, then no-one else is obliged to either.
Thanks, I didn't realise that Ofcom were still not treating the HD variants as PSB channels.

This will have to change in time as the PSB SD channels will be closed at some point on Freeview at least, by 2020 is when this is expected to happen.

Perhaps S4C HD will return full time to VM when it's classed as a PSB channel that VM don't have to pay for??
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote