Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2012) Vol. 3.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2012) Vol. 3.
Closed Thread

Old 24-08-2012, 23:17   #1051
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2012) Vol. 3.

Here is the full What HiFi article:

Virgin is taking the battle to SKY and looking to free further your TV from your living room with the launch of its TV Anywhere service. The new service will deliver live TV and video-on-demand content, and it will give you the ability to manage your set-top box in the form of a new look website and a brand-new app.

The app aims to bring the Virgin TiVo experience to your smartphone or tablet, allowing you to browse the EPG, manage your recordings and change channels without affecting the image on your TV screen. And if you can't agree on what to watch, you can stream content straight to your portable device for a multiscreen experience.

Due to launch in Autumn 2012, Virgin TV Anywhere is free and, theoretically, available to all Virgin customers. While any Virgin customer can access the new look website, the live TV and on-demand content that you can access will depend on your choice of Virgin TV package. The added extras via the website, such as setting your box to record, managing your recordings, and social aspects such as liking certain content will also be exclusive to Virgin TiVo customers.

The New Virgin TV Anywhere app will also be for Virgin TiVo customers only, bringing the sort of functionality familiar to SKY customers with the SKY Go app to Virgin TiVo users. The TV Anywhere app will launch on iPod touch, iPhone and iPad in Autumn 2012, though an Android app is in the pipeline for 2013. You'll need a wi-fi connection to watch content, though a 3G offering is on the wish list.

Also on the to-do list is the ability to watch your own personal recordings stored on your TiVo box on your tablet or smartphone. Clever.

It's a big push for Virgin in to the mobile TV domain, and the company is bullish about the advantages of its own service when compared with SKY's. Virgin has been doubling its customers' broadband speeds. Fibre optic network speeds of up to 100Mb help ensure stable streaming to other devices in your home, while the TiVo box has its own dedicated 10Mb connection for streaming content, ensuring it won't throttle speeds elsewhere. Exciting times for TV, then - and wherever you want to watch.

---------- Post added at 22:17 ---------- Previous post was at 20:37 ----------

Here is how to read the article yourself, directly from the magazine. Please note, there is nothing illegal about doing this whatsoever.

Visit this link for the first page:

http://www.exacteditions.com/read/wh...1/30/3?clip=on

Visit this link for the second page:

http://www.exacteditions.com/read/wh...1/31/3?clip=on

On the left of the screen you'll see a mini version of the page. Just drag around the little box, on the mini page, and it will let you read the article in full and clear detail.

You can actually view the whole magazine this way, for free, if you can be bothered.
Advertisement
Old 24-08-2012, 23:29   #1052
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Here is the full What HiFi article:

Virgin is taking the battle to SKY and looking to free further your TV from your living room with the launch of its TV Anywhere service. The new service will deliver live TV and video-on-demand content, and it will give you the ability to manage your set-top box in the form of a new look website and a brand-new app.

The app aims to bring the Virgin TiVo experience to your smartphone or tablet, allowing you to browse the EPG, manage your recordings and change channels without affecting the image on your TV screen. And if you can't agree on what to watch, you can stream content straight to your portable device for a multiscreen experience.

Due to launch in Autumn 2012, Virgin TV Anywhere is free and, theoretically, available to all Virgin customers. While any Virgin customer can access the new look website, the live TV and on-demand content that you can access will depend on your choice of Virgin TV package. The added extras via the website, such as setting your box to record, managing your recordings, and social aspects such as liking certain content will also be exclusive to Virgin TiVo customers.

The New Virgin TV Anywhere app will also be for Virgin TiVo customers only, bringing the sort of functionality familiar to SKY customers with the SKY Go app to Virgin TiVo users. The TV Anywhere app will launch on iPod touch, iPhone and iPad in Autumn 2012, though an Android app is in the pipeline for 2013. You'll need a wi-fi connection to watch content, though a 3G offering is on the wish list.

Also on the to-do list is the ability to watch your own personal recordings stored on your TiVo box on your tablet or smartphone. Clever.

It's a big push for Virgin in to the mobile TV domain, and the company is bullish about the advantages of its own service when compared with SKY's. Virgin has been doubling its customers' broadband speeds. Fibre optic network speeds of up to 100Mb help ensure stable streaming to other devices in your home, while the TiVo box has its own dedicated 10Mb connection for streaming content, ensuring it won't throttle speeds elsewhere. Exciting times for TV, then - and wherever you want to watch.

---------- Post added at 22:17 ---------- Previous post was at 20:37 ----------

Here is how to read the article yourself, directly from the magazine. Please note, there is nothing illegal about doing this whatsoever.

Visit this link for the first page:

http://www.exacteditions.com/read/wh...1/30/3?clip=on

Visit this link for the second page:

http://www.exacteditions.com/read/wh...1/31/3?clip=on

On the left of the screen you'll see a mini version of the page. Just drag around the little box, on the mini page, and it will let you read the article in full and clear detail.

You can actually view the whole magazine this way, for free, if you can be bothered.
Thanks very much for that Chad.
Old 24-08-2012, 23:30   #1053
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Thanks very much for that Chad.
No problem.

Is this a snap of the new app?

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

It's not just TV on the go, it's TiVo on the go! Looks like many of the options you enjoy at home will be in the palm of your hand.

This is good stuff!
Old 25-08-2012, 00:11   #1054
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Excellent effort Chad, thanks.

Virgin are really catching Sky up. Red button on sky sports, bbc etc, reminders on TIVO, this rather excellent looking app, doubling of the internet speeds and the possibility of the missing HD and some sd channels coming in the next few months.

Whilst I am aware this could quickly turn into a Sky v VM fight (and I hope it does not) I would like to ask what people think VM need to come soon to VM to step up the competition with Sky? (excluding atlantic, SS news SSF1 3/4HD ) Provided we get a few of the missing HD channels in the next couple of months, I can not think of anything else. I am rather uninformed on these matters though!
Old 25-08-2012, 00:23   #1055
Chad
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_hitch View Post

Virgin are really catching Sky up. Red button on sky sports, bbc etc, reminders on TIVO, this rather excellent looking app, doubling of the internet speeds and the possibility of the missing HD and some sd channels coming in the next few months.

Whilst I am aware this could quickly turn into a Sky v VM fight (and I hope it does not) I would like to ask what people think VM need to come soon to VM to step up the competition with Sky? (excluding atlantic, SS news SSF1 3/4HD ) Provided we get a few of the missing HD channels in the next couple of months, I can not think of anything else. I am rather uninformed on these matters though!
SKY have always had the edge in terms of HD and SD channels.

I'd say Virgin need to add all the missing non SKY HD channels such as the ITV channels plus ESPN America HD etc...

I'd also like Virgin to add as many of the missing "free" channels as possible such as CBS Drama, SONY movies, MTV Classic, Al Jazeera etc...

I'd very much like Virgin to continue leading the way in terms of on demand and catch up. A deal with UKTV would be great.

Finally I think more apps via TiVo could be the clincher. Lovefilm, Netflix, Facebook etc...

For me personally I feel Virgin are already the number 1 provider of content through your TV. Virgin do offer a massive amount of channels and a huge library of on demand and catch up content. People often forget that through TiVo you can access hundreds of thousands of hours worth of TV shows, movies, movie trailers, music videos, interviews, news, reviews, blogs and so much more via You Tube. Put it this way with all Virgin offer, and TiVo suggestions turned on, I am never ever without something to watch when I want it. I can also easily spend hours messing about doing searches, wish-lists and learning more about actors and programmes.

Again, for me personally, I think Virgin are about 10 HD channels, 10 SD channels, and about 3 or 4 really good apps away from offering the perfect service in terms of what I want from a TV provider.
Old 25-08-2012, 00:35   #1056
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:

well MB posted that VM and sky are in talk so it possible we could get SSN HD and sky news HD but cant see sky let anyone have SA SS3+4HD F1HD
Old 25-08-2012, 00:41   #1057
Chad
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
well MB posted that VM and sky are in talk so it possible we could get SSN HD and sky news HD but cant see sky let anyone have SA SS3+4HD F1HD
I hope so. UPC agreed a deal less than 2 weeks ago including SKY Sports News HD and SKY News HD.

http://corporate.sky.com/media/press..._upc_agreement

"Rob Webster, Director of Sky’s Commercial Group, comments: "As we continue to increase our investment in high-quality pay-TV content, we’re keen to distribute our channels as broadly as possible to widen our reach and enable more households to enjoy some of the great programming Sky has to offer."

It simply couldn't be a better time for Virgin to go in with an offer. I'd be a little disappointed if they didn't. I gave up on SKY Sports News HD and SKY News HD a long time ago. Both channels would be a nice little bonus, but not essential to my viewing pleasure.
Old 25-08-2012, 01:58   #1058
Jameseh

The WiFi only part sort of kills the point of TV Anywhere, as it eliminates everywhere except your own home or McDonalds.

Hopefully the app can't tell if you are just tethering.

Old 25-08-2012, 07:35   #1059
Perfect Choice
cf.geek

Services: Maxit TV, M phone, 200MB BB, V6 TIVO, Super Hub3
Perfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameseh View Post
The WiFi only part sort of kills the point of TV Anywhere, as it eliminates everywhere except your own home or McDonalds.

Agreed, off-line content is what I really want, seems to be coming as it states "Also on the to-do list is the ability to watch your own personal recordings stored on your TiVo box on your tablet or smartphone. Clever" but will be subject to content provider agreement?

It’s those hours on the train back from London where this appeals to me where I see other people watching programmes on their iPads, so would be great to view what I have recorded on my Tivo in the same manner.

How far does Sky Go goes for off-line content access by comparison? Cannot see the immediate advantages TV Anywhere has yet and still needs to catch up with Sky Go even after launch e.g off-line?
Old 25-08-2012, 11:35   #1060
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Whilst I am aware this could quickly turn into a Sky v VM fight (and I hope it does not)
Why should it people should be glad other platforms up their game as in the long run they'll start to feel the benefits.

Here's some examples

Sky+ gave the cable co's the incentive to launch the 3 tuner TV Drive

Cables OD service forced Sky to launch Anytime+

Sky+ app (remote record) resulted in VM TIVO adding this feature

VM TIVO undelete feature resulted in Sky adding this feature to new EPG

VM & BT Vision catchup has resulted in Sky announcing a catchup service (rumoured for September)

Sky Go has pushed VM to announce TV Anywhere

Netflix HD streaming has resulted in Lovefilm introducing HD streaming

Netflix arrival has meant competition for Lovefilm and the introduction of Sky's Now TV.

Basically my point is competition is good for us the consumers.
Old 25-08-2012, 11:56   #1061
fairlie82
Inactive

Services: Virgin VIP Collection Freeview Now Tv Netflix Amazon Instant Video DAB
fairlie82 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

There are ways round that with mobile mifi and the ability to use some mobiles as a mobile hotspot.

I hope they make the Android application compatible with the playbook.
Old 25-08-2012, 12:55   #1062
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Why should it people should be glad other platforms up their game as in the long run they'll start to feel the benefits.

Here's some examples

VM & BT Vision catchup has resulted in Sky announcing a catchup service (rumoured for September)

Netflix arrival has meant competition for Lovefilm and the introduction of Sky's Now TV.

Great post MM and absolutely true.
Old 25-08-2012, 13:17   #1063
Chad
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post

Here's some examples

Great post.

Here is an interesting listen about the future of TV:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today...00/9746128.stm

Looks like SKY and Virgin have a bit more innovating to do
Old 25-08-2012, 15:09   #1064
Jameseh

I wonder if they are planning any new apps for the October TV extravaganza. I'd love to see them release VEVO, Muzu, Vimeo, TuneIn, Netflix, LoveFilm and Crackle.

They all already provide flash TV apps so it's not as if much development work is needed.

Old 25-08-2012, 15:10   #1065
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
I wonder if they are planning any new apps for the October TV extravaganza. I'd love to see them release VEVO, Muzu, Vimeo, TuneIn, Netflix, LoveFilm and Crackle.

They all already provide flash TV apps so it's not as if much development work is needed.
Yes a few of them suddenly becoming available would be very nice indeed.