Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVo Picture Quality

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

TiVo Picture Quality

Old 20-04-2011, 00:09   #1
OLDGOLD
cf.addict

OLDGOLD will become famous soon enoughOLDGOLD will become famous soon enoughOLDGOLD will become famous soon enough
TiVo Picture Quality

As there appears to be so much difference in opinion as to whether the SD picture quality on TiVo is worse than the V+, would any of the current TiVo owners be so kind as to post some pictures of a SD channel being shown on TiVo? If you have the ability to do a comparison with a V+ on the same telly, that would be sensational.

I have TiVo booked for the end of the month, but am really concerned about the picture quality on SD, given that I watch a lot of SD sports in the summer on ITV4, British Eurosport 2 and ESPN America in particular. So don't want to go ahead with it if my enjoyment of these channels will be severely impaired.

Thanks.
OLDGOLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-04-2011, 00:39   #2
savvychels
cf.geek

Services: VIP120 w/ TiVo x2
savvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpack
Re: TiVo Picture Quality

What size is your TV? The general consensus is that there's not a huge difference in the 32 inch and lower specs. It's the 40 inch and up that seem to really notice it.

I have a 32 in Panasonic, and a 20 inch Samsung, both with TiVos attached (sent back the V+'s) so can't give you pictures, but can say I only notice a slight difference between SD and HD when I'm looking for it. HD is slightly sharper, but as I said, only if I'm really looking for it.

Hubby was watching football the other night on ITV1 regular as the sound was playing up on HD and it looked great...

Hope this helps.
savvychels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 00:50   #3
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

40" Samsung LED TV, with either Tivo 1Tb or Samsung V+ the picture is identical. Would post a picture... but its pretty pointless.

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 01:51   #4
clinteastman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media XL TV, XXL Broadband, L Phone, TiVo, V+
clinteastman has reached the bronze age
clinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze age

What I have notice is that it handles movement a lot better, things like full screen pans it's the most prevalent and more so on HD but all movement is effected. Its a lot smoother and shows less compression artefacts.

Anyone else noticed this?
clinteastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 04:41   #5
Hambone88
Inactive

Hambone88 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 47" TV and am picky about picture quality
and would say that SD is better with the TiVo box.
Hambone88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 09:10   #6
Perfect Choice
cf.geek

Services: Maxit TV, M phone, 200MB BB, V6 TIVO, Super Hub3
Perfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to behold

Mine is definitely not as clear, if I had to give it a rating I would say 85% as good as the SA V+ I had on both SD and HD, my TV is a Sony KDL40HX803. I wonder if it would be useful for posters to state their TV and the picture settings they have so posters with the similar TVs can compare. I'll post mine later today.
Perfect Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 09:32   #7
sminkypinky
Inactive

Services: VIP50, Tivo arrived 18th April.
sminkypinky will become famous soon enoughsminkypinky will become famous soon enoughsminkypinky will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinteastman View Post
What I have notice is that it handles movement a lot better, things like full screen pans it's the most prevalent and more so on HD but all movement is effected. Its a lot smoother and shows less compression artefacts.

Anyone else noticed this?
Yes, I concur.
sminkypinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 19:07   #8
noel43
cf.addict

Services: Tivo. XL (tv) L (bb)
noel43 is a jewel in the roughnoel43 is a jewel in the roughnoel43 is a jewel in the roughnoel43 is a jewel in the roughnoel43 is a jewel in the rough

I have a 40'' sony LED picture qual in SD better on TIVO, HD PQ excellent.
noel43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 19:20   #9
jobbie8
cf.addict

Services: BB 250MB, SKY Stream, Netfix, Disney+, Discovery+, AppleTV+,YouTube Premium, Paramount+
jobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nice

My TV is Sony KDL40V3000, 40inch, sd pic is not as sharp as my samsung V+, which is a shame for a new product like tivo
jobbie8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 19:23   #10
pythagoras
cf.addict

pythagoras has reached the bronze age
pythagoras has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by noel43 View Post
I have a 40'' sony LED picture qual in SD better on TIVO, HD PQ excellent.
Same for me on a panasonic 42PX60 plasma.

Regards

John.
pythagoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 20:57   #11
kgollop
cf.geek

Services: VIP Bundle, with 350Mb BB and 2 x V6 boxes
kgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation era

32" LCD, SD pic quality noticeably softer than SA V+
kgollop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 20:58   #12
OLDGOLD
cf.addict

OLDGOLD will become famous soon enoughOLDGOLD will become famous soon enoughOLDGOLD will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I feel a little more re-assured now.
Old 20-04-2011, 21:04   #13
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

I'd go with perfect choice opinion, the sa has best picture
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 21:09   #14
NuclearWinter
Inactive

Services: VIP50
NuclearWinter is an unknown quantity at this point

The SD picture quality is noticeably softer on my 40 inch Samsung LCD than it is with the V+ box.
NuclearWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 21:26   #15
OLDGOLD
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearWinter View Post
The SD picture quality is noticeably softer on my 40 inch Samsung LCD than it is with the V+ box.
I have a 40 inch Samsung LCD too. Does the softness really spoil your viewing of the SD channels? Or is it something you can live with?