Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TiVo
Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 09:53   #6046
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Re: TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
It makes it difficult to decide whether to take the 1TB TiVo if you don't have a clue on the spec of the 'cheaper' box.

Some rumours suggest a 0.5TB TiVo for £100 less. If this box has the same functionality as the existing box then anyone opting for the current box will be unhappy.

Do I delay or not?
Why would it make people unhappy?? If people want the 1TB hdd they will get it no matter the cost. I know plenty of people who are desperate and don't mind what the cost is. They always get the latest tech at launch so are always willing to pay for the exclusivity to be an early adopter.

If people want TiVo but aren't willing to pay for the full premium box then they can wait to see what else gets announced after launch. Its simple really.

More than likely it will be the same box with a smaller HDD, possibly 500GB. No reduced functionality at all.

I still don't get peoples reaction to the £40 install fee, everyone will be paying that to get TiVo. There will be no free installs given.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:56   #6047
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
It makes it difficult to decide whether to take the 1TB TiVo if you don't have a clue on the spec of the 'cheaper' box.

Some rumours suggest a 0.5TB TiVo for £100 less. If this box has the same functionality as the existing box then anyone opting for the current box will be unhappy.

Do I delay or not?
You'll have all the details on launch day (around the 11th April). VM will announce the spec/price of the lower spec TiVo, so you can make an informed decision.

It's likely that the spec will indeed be around the HDD size, rather than functionality.

I can't confirm pricing, but the "baby TiVo"* will be considerably cheaper than the 1TB model.

* my wording, not VM's
Old 04-04-2011, 09:56   #6048
mersey70
Inactive

Services: TV M, L BB, Sky+ HD
mersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Why would it make people unhappy?? If people want the 1TB hdd they will get it no matter the cost. I know plenty of people who are desperate and don't mind what the cost is. They always get the latest tech at launch so are always willing to pay for the exclusivity to be an early adopter.

If people want TiVo but aren't willing to pay for the full premium box then they can wait to see what else gets announced after launch. Its simple really.

More than likely it will be the same box with a smaller HDD, possibly 500GB. No reduced functionality at all.

I still don't get peoples reaction to the £40 install fee, everyone will be paying that to get TiVo. There will be no free installs given.
Except you eh Stephen!

Don't do as I do, do as I say springs to mind

I wonder if you would still have that view if you had to pay.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:59   #6049
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersey70 View Post
Except you eh Stephen!

I had to pay for install
Old 04-04-2011, 10:00   #6050
mersey70
Inactive

mersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
I had to pay for install
You catch my drift, your posts have been far more sensitive on the subject anyway DF.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:02   #6051
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Except you eh Stephen!

We do actually still have to pay for install of TiVo. A charge for the box and the £40 install fee. Its a standard install price no matter who is adding a service.

We even have to pay the £40 install if we take 50MB bb. No one escapes it unless they are a new customer taking all three services.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:02   #6052
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
You'll have all the details on launch day (around the 11th April). VM will announce the spec/price of the lower spec TiVo, so you can make an informed decision.

It's likely that the spec will indeed be around the HDD size, rather than functionality.

I can't confirm pricing, but the "baby TiVo" will be considerably cheaper than the 1TB model.
DF Thank you very much - that is great news.

In reply to Stephen. I personally would be very unhappy if I paid £100 more and the only difference in the box was the disk size.

My 5 year old V+ is now becoming limited by its disk size and the arrival of HD. I do not, however, require 1TB of space. When could anyone possibly find time to watch 120 hours of accrued HD TV anyway? 0.5TB would be perfectly adequate for me and £100 is worth saving (for anyone).
Old 04-04-2011, 10:05   #6053
mersey70
Inactive

Quote:
We do actually still have to pay for install of TiVo. A charge for the box and the £40 install fee. Its a standard install price no matter who is adding a service.

We even have to pay the £40 install if we take 50MB bb. No one escapes it unless they are a new customer taking all three services.
Is 'we' you?

I believe you said you didn't pay yourself did you not, certainly not the £149 anyway?

My post wasn't directed at any other staff as you are the one telling people they shouldn't have a problem having to pay the £40 on top of £149.

If all you had to pay was £40 then maybe be a tad more sensitive to customers.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:07   #6054
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:

Come on, that's not strictly true. There are many on here who advocate that Retentions will roll over and give you a £40 credit to effectively give free installation.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:09   #6055
mhatter67

Services: Big Kahuna, Phone XL, Boxnation

Quote:
I had to pay for install
I would have thought you would have installed it yourself

Old 04-04-2011, 10:10   #6056
nick_f
Inactive

nick_f is an unknown quantity at this point

FAO DF: Thanks for the info as always, am I right in understanding that there will be further offers on the 1TB on the 11th then?

Can anyone tell me the HD size of the the SA V+ I currently have?
Old 04-04-2011, 10:16   #6057
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Quote:
DF Thank you very much - that is great news.

In reply to Stephen. I personally would be very unhappy if I paid £100 more and the only difference in the box was the disk size.

My 5 year old V+ is now becoming limited by its disk size and the arrival of HD. I do not, however, require 1TB of space. When could anyone possibly find time to watch 120 hours of accrued HD TV anyway? 0.5TB would be perfectly adequate for me and £100 is worth saving (for anyone).
Well my 1TB TiVo is sitting at 47% used simply because everything I record is HD now and most of that is movies, mostly for keeping to watch at some point as TV shows get watched as soon as possible. I prefer the ability to keep all the stuff I want so I can watch when I want, rather than before the HDD fills up as it would if I only had 500GB.

---------- Post added at 10:12 ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_f View Post
FAO DF: Thanks for the info as always, am I right in understanding that there will be further offers on the 1TB on the 11th then?

There will be other pricing announced for VIP30 and VIP50 customers and also for new customers I would think.

The HDD in the V+ is 80GB.

---------- Post added at 10:16 ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 ----------

Quote:
Is 'we' you?

I believe you said you didn't pay yourself did you not, certainly not the £149 anyway?

My post wasn't directed at any other staff as you are the one telling people they shouldn't have a problem having to pay the £40 on top of £149.

If all you had to pay was £40 then maybe be a tad more sensitive to customers.
All staff have to pay the install fee and also for the TiVo box.

However in my case I didn't pay anything but thats because my TiVo isn't on my own customer account. I signed an NDA when I originally got the box. That should give you a clue about why I did pay.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:18   #6058
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlayzell View Post
I would have thought you would have installed it yourself
I'm not an field engineer

Mine was installed by a very nice VM TiVo engineer. Took about 3 hours to install due to it being the 2nd he'd installed.

The download from TiVo US took most of the time and I needed my signal levels adjusting in the DP.

I've had a faultless service on my TiVo as the install was top notch.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:22   #6059
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_f View Post

The disk size in the current V+ is 160GB. It is a sixth of the size of the coming 1TB TiVo.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:26   #6060
mersey70
Inactive

Quote:
Well my 1TB TiVo is sitting at 47% used simply because everything I record is HD now and most of that is movies, mostly for keeping to watch at some point as TV shows get watched as soon as possible. I prefer the ability to keep all the stuff I want so I can watch when I want, rather than before the HDD fills up as it would if I only had 500GB.

---------- Post added at 10:12 ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 ----------

There will be other pricing announced for VIP30 and VIP50 customers and also for new customers I would think.

The HDD in the V+ is 80GB.

---------- Post added at 10:16 ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 ----------

All staff have to pay the install fee and also for the TiVo box.

However in my case I didn't pay anything but thats because my TiVo isn't on my own customer account. I signed an NDA when I originally got the box. That should give you a clue about why I did pay.
All I am saying is that given how you got Tivo it might be an idea for you to be more understanding of your own customers concerns. They registered over 4 months ago and rightly or wrongly seem to have genuine concerns about the offer that was made. I assume you have seen the straw poll result which for a mostly supportive forum like this makes very bad reading for Virgin.
Closed Thread