Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVo. Problems, hints and tips!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

TiVo. Problems, hints and tips!

Old 17-02-2011, 12:46   #1
Topgun
1 of a 1000!

Services: Ultimate Oomph.
Topgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to all
TiVo. Problems, hints and tips!

As the other TiVo thread seems to be getting quite large now, and is mostly concerned with people actually trying to get one, I thought perhaps another thread is needed for those lucky enough to actually have had TiVo installed, where any questions could be put or tips given.
Kicking things off then, does anybody know if it is possible to back up something from the TiVo hard drive to a DVD recorder as could be done with a V+? I've been through the menu but can't seem to see it as an option!
Topgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-02-2011, 13:30   #2
WooLLsterQ
Inactive

Services: VM Tivo, 2x V+, BBI XXL (superhub), XL Telco, SS HD + SM HD
WooLLsterQ has a spectacular aura about themWooLLsterQ has a spectacular aura about themWooLLsterQ has a spectacular aura about themWooLLsterQ has a spectacular aura about them
Re: TiVo. Problems, hints and tips!

Yep just link the recorder into scart on tivo play/watch what you want to transfer and record it on your recorder.
WooLLsterQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 14:01   #3
Topgun
1 of a 1000!

Topgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by WooLLsterQ View Post
Yep just link the recorder into scart on tivo play/watch what you want to transfer and record it on your recorder.
Excellent, thanks. Presumably you can't have that going on in the background then whilst you watch something else like you could on the V+, or can you?
Old 17-02-2011, 14:45   #4
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun View Post
Excellent, thanks. Presumably you can't have that going on in the background then whilst you watch something else like you could on the V+, or can you?
Don't think so, mainly cause you have 1GB of storage. You don't really need to back it up lol.
Old 17-02-2011, 14:50   #5
Hambone88
Inactive

Hambone88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Don't think so, mainly cause you have 1GB of storage. You don't really need to back it up lol.
That is a pain.
I send a lot of shows over to family in Canada and
having to do it one by one and not able to watch anything
else is going to be a non starter for me.
Hambone88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 14:55   #6
WooLLsterQ
Inactive

Services: VM Tivo, 2x V+, BBI XXL (superhub), XL Telco, SS HD + SM HD
WooLLsterQ has a spectacular aura about themWooLLsterQ has a spectacular aura about themWooLLsterQ has a spectacular aura about themWooLLsterQ has a spectacular aura about them

That's how it's done for now
WooLLsterQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 15:01   #7
Perfect Choice
cf.geek

Services: Maxit TV, M phone, 200MB BB, V6 TIVO, Super Hub3
Perfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to behold

Another of the "to do" items to add to the list then, the HDD could fail whatever capacity it has, so important recordings need a facility to back up and it would be crazy to limit this to something you have to watch to record. Needs same facaility as V+. In our house it is used to copy a programme onto DVD so it can be played on another TV in the house with a DVD player.
Perfect Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 16:04   #8
Topgun
1 of a 1000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Choice View Post
Another of the "to do" items to add to the list then, the HDD could fail whatever capacity it has, so important recordings need a facility to back up and it would be crazy to limit this to something you have to watch to record. Needs same facaility as V+. In our house it is used to copy a programme onto DVD so it can be played on another TV in the house with a DVD player.
I agree. Although TiVo is a step up from the V+ in so many ways, this is obviously not one of them!
Old 17-02-2011, 16:57   #9
savvychels
cf.geek

Services: VIP120 w/ TiVo x2
savvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone88 View Post
That is a pain.
I send a lot of shows over to family in Canada and
having to do it one by one and not able to watch anything
else is going to be a non starter for me.
How do you send to family in Canada with things being different formats (PAL/NTSC)? Just curious as there's things I'd love to send to a couple of friends/family back home, but unable to do so.

Feel free to pm me as I suppose this question is already taking the thread off course.
savvychels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 17:24   #10
spligosh
Inactive

Services: Virgin XL TV, XL Phone, 20MB Broadband
spligosh is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know if you can connect Tivo to your wireless network to stream content from your computer - or a NAS - I seem to think they can do this in the US?
spligosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 19:17   #11
HandsOfBlue
Inactive

Services: VIP50 TIVO
HandsOfBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by savvychels View Post
How do you send to family in Canada with things being different formats (PAL/NTSC)? Just curious as there's things I'd love to send to a couple of friends/family back home, but unable to do so.

Feel free to pm me as I suppose this question is already taking the thread off course.
You could use a tool like Handbrake to convert it to a more portable format (MKV/MP4).
HandsOfBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 19:20   #12
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by spligosh View Post
Does anyone know if you can connect Tivo to your wireless network to stream content from your computer - or a NAS - I seem to think they can do this in the US?
The box doesn't have wireless but has an Ethernet port and in the menus a media key is mentioned so I think it's possible that network playback will be possible eventually.
Old 17-02-2011, 19:42   #13
Hambone88
Inactive

Hambone88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by savvychels View Post

It's a bit like here
The cheap DVD players will play anything
And the Sony type won't.
My cousin bought a DVD player for 40 bucks
And it plays everything
No conversion req
Hambone88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 21:13   #14
savvychels
cf.geek

Services: VIP120 w/ TiVo x2
savvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone88 View Post
It's a bit like here
The cheap DVD players will play anything
And the Sony type won't.
My cousin bought a DVD player for 40 bucks
And it plays everything
No conversion req
I'll have to send something over and see if they're able to play it then. When I've sent home movies I've always changed them to NTSC format to make up the DVD on the computer.

Will have a go and see what happens - thanks
savvychels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 18:06   #15
Andy C
cf.addict

Services: V6 Virgin 360, Volt Gig1 BB,
Andy C is just really niceAndy C is just really niceAndy C is just really niceAndy C is just really niceAndy C is just really niceAndy C is just really nice

Some remote tips from the guys over at tivocommunity, many still from the S1 days...

* Pressing CLEAR works as a shortcut for delete on most pages - most handy on the "my shows" page
* Press and hold TEXT switches your TV AV sources - that's how I flip between VM TiVo / TiVo S1 / DVD
* Press and hold POWER button turn turn TV on/off - a short press makes TiVo go into standby
* Press SLOW to toggle mini TV screen at top right

* The good old shortcuts still work - though it's "home" and not "TiVo" button:

Home+Home : My recordings (now playing)
Home+1 : Manage series links
Home+2 : Planned recordings (todo list)
Home+3 : Wishlists
Home+4 : Search all TV
Home+5 : Browse all TV
Home+0 : full screen TV + pause ?

Cheers,

A.
Andy C is offline   Reply With Quote