Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | All hub3 users affected by confirmed latency issue

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

All hub3 users affected by confirmed latency issue

Old 03-02-2017, 22:41   #46
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age
Re: All hub3 users affected by confirmed latency issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
Yeah, the jitter isn't brilliant to be honest, not sure if that's down to the SH3 or just VM's network

Your bit of network probably.

roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-02-2017, 12:56   #47
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelstar View Post
The silence on this issue is deafening. I can definitely see the problem myself so surprised there as been so few recent public announcements on the issue. Maybe Intel really have dropped the ball here?
I think the issue is overblown and most people won't notice any actual problems day to day. That's why you're not hearing about it.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 19:04   #48
Martin_D
cf.geek

Services: YouFibre | Lebara Sim x 2| Plex
Martin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to behold

Here is an official ARRIS statement to this ongoing issue:

"Thank you for your ongoing feedback; your input has been valuable in helping characterize the impact of the issue. As you know, a beta patch was previously distributed in the field for testing (Just for usa) and to address the ping issue. Some of you have already received that. Going forward, this patch will be bundled with the TCP/UDP patch for a combined update and official code release. As you would expect, the TCP/UDP issue has been more challenging to develop a patch for. The good news is that Intel has now developed and issued a proposed firmware fix for the TCP/UDP issue; ARRIS is testing the latest firmware update and will roll it out to service providers as soon as testing is complete. "
Martin_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 19:12   #49
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_D View Post
Here is an official ARRIS statement to this ongoing issue:

"Thank you for your ongoing feedback; your input has been valuable in helping characterize the impact of the issue. As you know, a beta patch was previously distributed in the field for testing (Just for usa) and to address the ping issue. Some of you have already received that. Going forward, this patch will be bundled with the TCP/UDP patch for a combined update and official code release. As you would expect, the TCP/UDP issue has been more challenging to develop a patch for. The good news is that Intel has now developed and issued a proposed firmware fix for the TCP/UDP issue; ARRIS is testing the latest firmware update and will roll it out to service providers as soon as testing is complete. "
Is this the reason we're seeing a huge amount of yellow on hour TBB monitors?
Old 22-02-2017, 00:02   #50
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I assume so, mines the same, not that I ever really notice any actual effect.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 00:19   #51
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

It doesn't seem to affect my connection either.
Old 22-02-2017, 08:51   #52
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

Same. TBB graph looks awful but my actual ping is about 14ms to bbc etc so i'm in no rush for this to be rolled out.
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 09:51   #53
Travelstar
cf.member

Travelstar is on a distinguished roadTravelstar is on a distinguished road

It affects VOIP traffic so I'm looking forward to this being rolled out. Personally I prefer low latency over speed. I'd happily take a half speed back age if I knew the latency was going to be low.
Travelstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 10:22   #54
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelstar View Post
It affects VOIP traffic so I'm looking forward to this being rolled out. Personally I prefer low latency over speed. I'd happily take a half speed back age if I knew the latency was going to be low.
Fair enough, I use EE's wifi calling on mine and I've not noticed any issues on , but I suppose other VoIP services might need more "stable" low latency to function properly.

Hub in modem mode with an Asus 1200G+.
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 10:53   #55
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

I use VoIP as I don't have a landline, so just a Siemens Gigaset N300IP with DECT handsets.

I don't notice an issue at all, it's perfect.
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 13:44   #56
Daveoc64
cf.addict

Services: Freeview Play, Virgin Media Gig1
Daveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about them

It's quite difficult to identify that the issue is causing problems, so don't assume that you aren't affected. It took almost a year for people to identify the behaviour of the software that was causing the problem (well documented on DSLReports).

Every modem/router that uses the affected Intel chip suffers from the problem.

The problem results in some connections being held up. This means that a simple ping test or a test over a long period of time (like TBB graph) is unlikely to show it. But if you try going to a web site, and the DNS lookup for that request is held up, your site will take longer to load.

If you're playing a game and one of your packets is held up, your game might be interrupted at a key time.
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 14:55   #57
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

I get that every SH3 has this issue, I'm just saying I haven't noticed any symptoms, and that VoIP works fine.
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 10:51   #58
Gobble
cf.addict

Services: Gig1 SH4-AX86U, Stream
Gobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtho782 View Post
I get that every SH3 has this issue, I'm just saying I haven't noticed any symptoms, and that VoIP works fine.
VOIP despite what a lot of people think can handle jitter (hence the buffer). Obviously if it starts getting stupid and/or a lot of packet loss is present, then that changes things.
Gobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 15:30   #59
Travelstar
cf.member

Travelstar is on a distinguished roadTravelstar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobble View Post
VOIP despite what a lot of people think can handle jitter (hence the buffer). Obviously if it starts getting stupid and/or a lot of packet loss is present, then that changes things.
Packet loss is something that sadly I appear to often see. Therefore VOIP calls will appear choppy at times.

I have also noticed that downloads randomly fail, with often several attempts unable to complete the download. Added to which, streaming iPlayer, Netflix or Amazon sometimes also yields a failed stream which can be annoying, especially if you can't pick back up where you left off (very common with iPlayer).

All of the above are classic symptoms of packet loss.

FWIW, my power levels are again great (in the 1-2db range) and SNR above the levels where they cause problems (35.5-37.5db). Upstream is generally steady at 35db.
Travelstar is offline   Reply With Quote