Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Freeview Indoor Aerial

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

Freeview Indoor Aerial

Old 22-03-2012, 20:06   #1
SimpleSimon
cf.addict

Services: VIP Package
SimpleSimon has much to be proud ofSimpleSimon has much to be proud ofSimpleSimon has much to be proud ofSimpleSimon has much to be proud ofSimpleSimon has much to be proud ofSimpleSimon has much to be proud ofSimpleSimon has much to be proud ofSimpleSimon has much to be proud ofSimpleSimon has much to be proud ofSimpleSimon has much to be proud of
Freeview Indoor Aerial

Background.

Daughter has moved to Acton, West London and has now decided she wants her Sony LCD TV with built-in freeview in her bedroom. The previous girl had a CRT TV with an indoor aerial so I can only assume at this time that there are no wall mounted aerial sockets that lead to an external aerial.

Question.

After looking at the Wolfbane website it appears that the Crystal Palace transmitter is the nearest at 10 miles and suggests a log periodic aerial. I also believe that her bedroom faces almost due south.

Now assuming that she can only use an indoor aerial would this item be OK http://www.maplin.co.uk/slx-amplifie...-aerial-506686 or can anybody suggest any alternatives.

I have noticed that the Crystal Palace transmitter gets switched over to fully digital starting 4/4 and finishing on 18/4 so I assume that after this date the digital signal will be boosted.
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-03-2012, 20:43   #2
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Freeview Indoor Aerial

Any indoor antenna is going to be severely attenuated by the walls of the house and may/may not work (only way of telling would be to try it..) . Can she perhaps have a small outdoor antenna attached just outside of the window which feeds an amplifier?

If not then that same antenna is £14.99 in argos which with it's 16 day money back promise you can buy to try..
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 10:15   #3
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

As Kymmy says, it's a case of try it and see. If the aerial can be placed in a window facing the correct direction it would help. The other problem is reflected signals. While digital is more robust than analogue, people moving about in the house can cause problems. Opt for an indoor aerial with a decent length of cable so you can test in different positions.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 12:28   #4
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

I have a couple of bedroom freeview tvs that work very well on cheap aerials from the poundshop. That may be worth a try initially. I suspect mine work because I'm lucky enough to be on a hilltop with a fairly open view towards the signal source but it might be worth investing a quid to try it out.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 20:01   #5
SimpleSimon
cf.addict

SimpleSimon has much to be proud ofSimpleSimon has much to be proud ofSimpleSimon has much to be proud ofSimpleSimon has much to be proud ofSimpleSimon has much to be proud ofSimpleSimon has much to be proud ofSimpleSimon has much to be proud ofSimpleSimon has much to be proud ofSimpleSimon has much to be proud ofSimpleSimon has much to be proud of

Thanks for the guidance people, I will wait until I go down with the TV and buy an aerial on the day and if it doesn't work then I can take it back on the same day.
Old 09-04-2012, 20:14   #6
SimpleSimon
cf.addict

This is an update to my original post.

I went ahead and bought the aerial I mentioned from Argos as it was only £14.99 (good spot there Kymmy - thanks).

I have been down to my daughters this weekend and managed to use this aerial and get a total of 125 channels tuned in without too much hassle. I just plugged it in set it on the floor with the aerial pointing in the same direction as all the aerials on the roofs of houses nearby and did an auto tune of the Sony TV. The only thing I needed to do was to place the aerial higher off the floor.

So once again thanks for the advice.
Old 09-04-2012, 20:16   #7
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Glad it worked
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote