Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Ugly exterior cable installation

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

Ugly exterior cable installation
Closed Thread

Old 23-09-2011, 01:10   #46
Kizza
Inactive

Kizza is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Ugly exterior cable installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
UV resistant paint my friend. If the technology exists to cover a building in white stuff that doesn't go yellow, the technology exists to cover a cable in white stuff that does not go yellow. The only question is whether VM bother paying someone to do it for them at the factory or whether they expect (potential) customers to do it for them at their own expense. But that's not what we're debating here.

The point is nobody at VM seemed to have applied two brain cells to realise black != white.
Thank you qasddsaq! At last someobody who sees this issue from a consumer's point of view.

While I have got some very valuable technical information from this forum, I feel like I have stumbled into a cable-installers union. It's not unusual for people who work in a particular industry to see the issue from their own experience and point of view. But please remember, I am not part of your industry.

As a layman I was not aware from looking at other houses in the street what cables were associated with which particular broadband provider.

I got my knowledge from putting in my post code and realising our building was not connected whereas the house next door was. From further reasearch I discovered that the previous freeholder of our building did not reply to the fibre optic company at that time when asked for permission. Later on we were able to take over the freehold because ownership had lapsed.

If my neighbour has painted his Virgin black cables white, how am I to know this?

Let me say again, I am NOT blaming the installers. I am saying that after the survey, that someone at management level at VM should have pointed out to me that black cables would criss-cross a white building. We then could have negotiated or moved on from that position.

Let's take an extreme version: a surgeon would point out the negative repercussions or side effects of a surgical procedure to a patient regardless of whether the patient asked about the side effects or not. This is because the surgeon is aware that the patient will possibly not know to ask about the repercussions or side effects.

As for photos... I get the feeling that if I put some on here that people would say I was just moaning. I think you'd have to be here or to live here to understand it.

However... we are now thinking about just waiting til the building is painted. As someone said, we are lucky to have had all this work done for us for free. Never look a gift horse in the mouth after all. It just would've been useful to have been told about the asthetic repercussions which, as consumers, we were unaware of.
Advertisement
Old 23-09-2011, 01:36   #47
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizza View Post
Thank you qasddsaq! At last someobody who sees this issue from a consumer's point of view.

While I have got some very valuable technical information from this forum, I feel like I have stumbled into a cable-installers union. It's not unusual for people who work in a particular industry to see the issue from their own experience and point of view. But please remember, I am not part of your industry.

As a layman I was not aware from looking at other houses in the street what cables were associated with which particular broadband provider.

I got my knowledge from putting in my post code and realising our building was not connected whereas the house next door was. From further reasearch I discovered that the previous freeholder of our building did not reply to the fibre optic company at that time when asked for permission. Later on we were able to take over the freehold because ownership had lapsed.

If my neighbour has painted his Virgin black cables white, how am I to know this?

Let me say again, I am NOT blaming the installers. I am saying that after the survey, that someone at management level at VM should have pointed out to me that black cables would criss-cross a white building. We then could have negotiated or moved on from that position.

Let's take an extreme version: a surgeon would point out the negative repercussions or side effects of a surgical procedure to a patient regardless of whether the patient asked about the side effects or not. This is because the surgeon is aware that the patient will possibly not know to ask about the repercussions or side effects.

As for photos... I get the feeling that if I put some on here that people would say I was just moaning. I think you'd have to be here to see it.

However... we are now thinking about just waiting til the building is painted. As someone said, we are lucky to have had all this work done for us for free. Never look a gift horse in the mouth after all. It just would've been useful to have been told about the asthetic repercussions which, as consumers, we were unaware of.
Well at the end of the day you have learned a valuable lesson...in future always ask questions before purchasing, or accepting anything.
Old 23-09-2011, 08:39   #48
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

Kizza, can I ask that you try not take too much on board from this forum as it appears to be swaying your decision.

Please contact the people I have advised and this can be looked at further, you will get limited assistance on this forum.

Cheers

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
Old 26-09-2011, 13:41   #49
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

I never would have thought that the worst thing that anyone would say about VM is that they don't offer a choice of colour of external cable..and boy have I heard every complaint about them that could be made.

Personally I can't help thinking that if it works and you are getting the service you require you may well find that there are VM customers that envy you and who would think that black cabling was fine provided they got what they were paying for.
Old 26-09-2011, 13:58   #50
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
I never would have thought that the worst thing that anyone would say about VM is that they don't offer a choice of colour of external cable..and boy have I heard every complaint about them that could be made.

Personally I can't help thinking that if it works and you are getting the service you require you may well find that there are VM customers that envy you and who would think that black cabling was fine provided they got what they were paying for.
My thoughts exactly....but I don't think your suggestion will work with the OP.
Old 26-09-2011, 17:00   #51
Kizza
Inactive

Kizza is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by weesteev View Post
Kizza, can I ask that you try not take too much on board from this forum as it appears to be swaying your decision.

Please contact the people I have advised and this can be looked at further, you will get limited assistance on this forum.

Cheers
Thanks, I will.

Seems the customer is always wrong as far as this lot are concerned
Old 26-09-2011, 17:04   #52
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Perhaps it's more a case of the customer always expects a mind reading company that can perform miracles??
Old 26-09-2011, 17:35   #53
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Kizza still thinks I work for Virgin. Although Kymmy will tell them otherwise.
Old 26-09-2011, 18:18   #54
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

How would I know?
Old 26-09-2011, 18:35   #55
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
How would I know?
Because you have been arguing with me in another thread when I criticised VM's customer service.
Old 26-09-2011, 19:02   #56
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Thanks, I will.

No I don't think so..After all if you read your contract with VM I doubt that anywhere was there a means or mention about the equipment's cabling and a choice of colour to match the customer's decor..If there was you would have a case.

I'll ask this though. IF you had thought to enquire about the colour of the cable would you have decided NOT to go ahead if informed that black was your only alternative?
Old 26-09-2011, 19:40   #57
RB2004
Inactive

Services: Services: 200 Mbit Gamer on Hub 3, 3x Arris V6 Boxes, CISCO V HD, VIP Package
RB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Thanks, I will.

It is not that the customer is always wrong.

Virgin Media use black cable for a reason.

You expect VM to use white cable, or intend on ripping it out.

VM will only reroute the cable, which is still better than your suggestion of ripping it out... but not one which you seem to of considered... just kept arguing black is useless, and that you will rip it out.
Old 27-09-2011, 00:10   #58
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Perhaps it's more a case of the customer always expects a mind reading company that can perform miracles??
Again, VM did a survey, and took pictures. Hardly mind reading to look at them!

Conversely expecting the customer to know what cables would be used without VM supplying photos and/or a survey doesn't require mind reading?
Old 27-09-2011, 09:44   #59
Kymmy
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Again, VM did a survey, and took pictures. Hardly mind reading to look at them!

Conversely expecting the customer to know what cables would be used without VM supplying photos and/or a survey doesn't require mind reading?
Would they though have even bothered to look at the color? The survey from my understanding is for issues with supply to the grounds and then routing the cables. As the only option is black then color wouldn't have been on their survey checklist.

It would be interesting to see pictures which I thought the OP would have taken and shown by now as the problem might be subjective to what each person deems acceptable?
Old 27-09-2011, 10:37   #60
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

do the covers get installed only when a building is being wired up while new building is in progress?
Closed Thread