Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Best settings?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Best settings?

Old 02-05-2017, 00:23   #1
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age
Best settings?

My TV can accept all modes including 1080p, so I tried enabling all modes (default was 1080i).

According to the TV, both HD and SD were coming in at 720p, so I unchecked that, and it went back to 1080i for everything.

I was aiming for what's referred to as "passthrough" where everything comes through in original format without rescale.

Can't seem to get anything coming through as 1080p either - unchecking 1080i resulted in a drop back to 720p even though that was also unchecked.

The TV is full HD, and I'd expect the cleanest 576i results to come from rescale and de-interlace in the TV, rather than a non-integer rescale of the half frames and then a separate de-interlace.

Have they broken pasthrough?
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-05-2017, 09:31   #2
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Best settings?

It sounds to me that the option you are looking for isn't available on your set. However, I am no expert!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 09:37   #3
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

According to this posting VM (and DVB) only broadcast at 1080i.
Old 02-05-2017, 18:14   #4
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
According to this posting VM (and DVB) only broadcast at 1080i.
That's correct for broadcast HDTV. Broadcast SDTV is 576i. But other sources such as Netflix and YouTube can give you 1080p (or higher, on a V6).

But only you can decide what looks best to you. If there was one "best" setting for everyone, we wouldn't bother giving you a choice.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 00:52   #5
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

Even with 576i enabled, it doesn't put SDTV out at 576i, it still does the upscaling itself.

If 720p is enabled, then it uses that for everything, HD and SD - I tested all and turned them all on, the TV can take them all

Must admit, SDTV seems a little bit crisper than it was even by RGB SCART
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 13:07   #6
anap
Inactive

Services: VIP with extra box (2 V6's & a TiVo)
anap will become famous soon enoughanap will become famous soon enoughanap will become famous soon enough

They messed up the video output settings ages ago. If you look at the info screen on the video output settings that is how it should be. In their infinite wisdom they've changed it!
anap is offline   Reply With Quote